Home

2K Making a Return?

This is a discussion on 2K Making a Return? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #65
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2K Making a Return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Again, I leave for another year and come back to this.... tsk, tsk.

I still think 2K put out the best football games of our generation, period. I finally put down All Pro Football 2K8 a few months ago, not because the game is old but because the online competition simply cheats (hacking roster files to give their players a boost). To this day, there are parts of that game that still feel and play better than Madden 18 - weight distribution, OL/DL play, signature/special moves for players, etc.

I honestly think 2K (or any developer) would be better served making a generic, highly customizable football game. NCAA 14's Team Builder was a powerful tool that allowed the user to create every aspect of a team. MUT follows a similar path by allowing a user to build an entire roster of custom players to take online against fellow competition. A developer could take this route, supplement costs with DLC, micro-transactions, upgrades, etc all while placing the game in a subscription model.

The highly customizable generic game would be awesome but there has to be legal reasons that hasn’t happened. APF went out of its way not allowing 32 team franchise mode and limited logo options. Backbreaker allowed the logo creator but you couldn’t name your players any name the matched an actual NFL player including something like Rod Smith.

There has to be legal reasons or serious fear of lawsuits to explain why developers did this with the few generic games released.

Also, with a generic game, I’m not sure what dlc/micro transactions the developers could come up with. Definitely nothing like card packs with star players inside. I doubt a lot of people would pay cash for a fake player upgrade if the game is already very customizable.

Really the best hope is the mobile market. Nothing is stopping 2K from making a mobile game to get there football brand recognized again and there is no license. Joe Montana fell on its face trying this but it seems to have the most potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #66
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Really the best hope is the mobile market. Nothing is stopping 2K from making a mobile game to get there football brand recognized again and there is no license. Joe Montana fell on its face trying this but it seems to have the most potential.
Worth noting too that the exclusive license deal between the NFLPA and EA does not apply to mobile games. There are quite a few mobile games which use real NFL players, and even games which aren't football games have licensed NFLPA player likenesses.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:33 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Right. And that pretty much proves they have no interest in another company making a game. They basically have a handshake agreement with EA that whenever the license expires it's pretty much an automatic renew.

I just don't see this changing. Like, maybe ever. The only way I see them not renewing with EA would be if EA did something with Madden that made the NFL look bad. And I think we all know that's not gonna happen. And I'm not talking about gameplay. They don't care one single bit about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asantead22
Not true! The license is available for purchase but the price is steep at $600mil

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Hey guys, i read a few replies in this thread from a few guys stating the NFL and EA keeps renewing the NFL Exclusive deal, that's not true...the deal between EA and the NFL back in 2004 was for a 15 year deal. So it ends in less than 2 years from today, which is good news because i honestly don't think the NFL will continue on with the exclusive deal as the NFL lost money because of this deal...there's no doubt about it with the amount of people into technlogy today, including the amount of people gaming these days is a multidue more than back in 2004. There is simply more money to be made by NFL not going exclusive again.

Anyways, here is an article from gamestop back from 2004 announcing the 15 year deal between the NFL and EA Sports.
Quote:
Electronic Arts, ESPN ink exclusive 15-year deal
September 19, 2005

Electronic Arts broke the calm of a national holiday today by announcing a licensing deal of epic proportions. For the next 15 years, EA will be the sole licensee of the ESPN brand in the area of sports games, which will include console, handheld, PC, and wireless games.

Rest of article here https://www.gamespot.com/articles/el.../1100-6116473/
There has been some continued renewing of the license over the years though between the NFL and EA, but that was not for the base portion of the "exclusive deal" but rather adjusting some things within the deal itself. One of them being the NFL wanting to remove mobile phones out of the exclusive deal some years ago, right when the NFL finally began to see how much money they were actually losing with the deal with EA. The amount of people with smartphones that skyrocketed since 2010 onward has skyrocketed and there is a HUGE userbase of guys young and old that may not be a hardcore gamer like most of us here that still would like to play some mobile based NFL licensed games, not necessarily full fledged football videogames like Madden but the more mobile oriented football-related games like kick the football through the field goal type games,etc...the audience for such NFL licensed mobile games is HUGE to the casual/non-hardcore gamer, they dwarf the more hardcore gamers, by a long shot.

So yeah, its my opinion that the NFL will no longer go exclusive with video games starting in 2020. Doesn't mean im right and it'll happen but if i were a betting man, i'd bet on it, for sure.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #68
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I am sure that has potential going forward, but I'm assuming licensing fees for mobile type games need to be much lower for indie type companies to even consider the idea. I am sure there will be fees on both ends, NFLPA and the NFL.

The benefits must outweigh the cost and if they include an addicting game with opportunities to purchase more abilities, the game will be successful.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #69
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Those mobile games already exist, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #70
Rookie

Dagio's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Hey guys, i read a few replies in this thread from a few guys stating the NFL and EA keeps renewing the NFL Exclusive deal, that's not true...the deal between EA and the NFL back in 2004 was for a 15 year deal. So it ends in less than 2 years from today, which is good news because i honestly don't think the NFL will continue on with the exclusive deal as the NFL lost money because of this deal...there's no doubt about it with the amount of people into technlogy today, including the amount of people gaming these days is a multidue more than back in 2004. There is simply more money to be made by NFL not going exclusive again.

Anyways, here is an article from gamestop back from 2004 announcing the 15 year deal between the NFL and EA Sports.

There has been some continued renewing of the license over the years though between the NFL and EA, but that was not for the base portion of the "exclusive deal" but rather adjusting some things within the deal itself. One of them being the NFL wanting to remove mobile phones out of the exclusive deal some years ago, right when the NFL finally began to see how much money they were actually losing with the deal with EA. The amount of people with smartphones that skyrocketed since 2010 onward has skyrocketed and there is a HUGE userbase of guys young and old that may not be a hardcore gamer like most of us here that still would like to play some mobile based NFL licensed games, not necessarily full fledged football videogames like Madden but the more mobile oriented football-related games like kick the football through the field goal type games,etc...the audience for such NFL licensed mobile games is HUGE to the casual/non-hardcore gamer, they dwarf the more hardcore gamers, by a long shot.

So yeah, its my opinion that the NFL will no longer go exclusive with video games starting in 2020. Doesn't mean im right and it'll happen but if i were a betting man, i'd bet on it, for sure.
I wish that were the case, but the article you linked is for EA's deal with ESPN, not the NFL. According to this article, the original exclusive deal with the NFL was for five years.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bi.../1100-6114977/
Old 04-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #71
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Hey guys, i read a few replies in this thread from a few guys stating the NFL and EA keeps renewing the NFL Exclusive deal, that's not true...the deal between EA and the NFL back in 2004 was for a 15 year deal. So it ends in less than 2 years from today
As noted by other posters, this isn't actually true. The original deal was five years and has been renewed a few times since.

Quote:
which is good news because i honestly don't think the NFL will continue on with the exclusive deal as the NFL lost money because of this deal...there's no doubt about it with the amount of people into technlogy today, including the amount of people gaming these days is a multidue more than back in 2004. There is simply more money to be made by NFL not going exclusive again.

Quote:
Honestly, how long before we all collectively give up the ghost?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #72
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Honestly, how long before we all collectively give up the ghost?
Answer: never.

I don't even have anything to add anymore. I think the last salient point was made about this topic sometime back in 2007.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »