Home

Axis Football '18 Review

This is a discussion on Axis Football '18 Review within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 19
Quote:
?
agree with what redwolf said.** Ill add that I think the gameplay matters more to older gamers.
graphics is the gloss, bells and whistles.* at the core it comes down to game play.
In addition, when it comes to movement, physics, and look, the graphics from late era ps2/xbox* and ps3/xbox360 are comparable to today's games.* only difference is the real life quality to the graphics.*

sports games form that era looks like sports games of today.* commentary, franchise modes are still comparable to this current gen.* especially when you are dealing with franchise modes.

with that said,* I will take* a look at Axis football, and purchase it soon.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #10
Rookie

Toastandtoaster's Arena

OVR: 0
I discovered axis last year and for what it was, it played like it's age. And most will look at this as just a poor video game in 2018 and that is fine, everybody's entitled to your own opinion, but my opinion is this. Go to youtube and watch comparision videos from 15, 16,17, and now 18 and you tell me what 4 year window of madden has improved that much in comparision to assets available. If you like playing with real teams and players, then go for madden but if you just sim through madden franchise, take axis as the better option for GMing.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
I will be buying the game in Nov on Xbox One. Looking forward to supporting the team any way I can
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Axis Football '18 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwo1f
Well we will agree to completely disagree. Graphics mean little compared to overall game play, imho. Why do you think there is a big return to retro gaming? People are realizing that it means less the way games look, and more the way they play and the features they have (at least some of us, lol). Heck, I know lots of guys who still play Front Page Sports Football Pro series because it did so many things well (and it looks like sh$t compared to modern games). If you can't play it or any game because the graphics look sub-par to you, well that's your choice (I feel for you -- indeed there are AMAZING games with not great graphics (case in point - Airships Conquer the Skies (indie team, 2-D pixelated graphics - but soooo incredibly fun!) Let graphics be your guide if you must, but you are missing out on a lot.
Its not just the graphics...it IS the gameplay. From what I have seen from Axis, the gameplay is sorely lacking. There is no realism in what I see in their gameplay. Put the awkward animations on top of that and it is a turn off for me.

So, have fun with the title...that is your prerogative. Just as it is mine to defer. We all have our own concept of realism, etc. I am not a graphics whore but the gameplay also underwhelms me. It is just not ready for my money...that's my opinion. You have your own.

And yes, we should leave it at that.

C
Old 09-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 13
I will join Redwolf and others in saying that I enjoy Axis 18, since graphics are not my top priority.* If I could get an updated version of FPSFBPro, I'd be thrilled.* So, I do recommend this game to anyone who is/was a fan of the FPS series (and wants something other than Madden).* I would never say the gameplay in Axis is as polished or as smooth as Madden, but, Axis actually handles things pretty well.* One thing I love about Axis is that a pass rusher can shoot an OL gap without falling victim to Madden's suction blocking.* One area I will respectfully disagree with the review, though, is when the franchise mode was called surprisingly deep.* It actually could not be much more shallow (though certainly better than no franchise mode).* No career stats, no real depth chart, barebones draft, unclear progression/regression, no Pro Bowl.* Axis is building to a great product, and I'm excited to join in and support the effort, but, to be fair, the franchise mode has just as far to go as the gameplay.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
Rookie

redwo1f's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Its not just the graphics...it IS the game play. From what I have seen from Axis, the game play is sorely lacking. There is no realism in what I see in their gameplay. Put the awkward animations on top of that and it is a turn off for me.

So, have fun with the title...that is your prerogative. Just as it is mine to defer. We all have our own concept of realism, etc. I am not a graphics whore but the gameplay also underwhelms me. It is just not ready for my money...that's my opinion. You have your own.

And yes, we should leave it at that.

C
Agreed...but my main reaction I wrote when I did was a general gaming and graphics point of view (not meant exclusively at Axis, but a general take) - I just see too many people immediately turned off of games because sweat doesn't glisten on their faces, etc., lol.

And yes, Axis is far from perfect and still needs a LOT of work and polishing (I downgraded my review to C+/C a week back (with a lot of potential (depending on how long they work on this edition till they go full swing to next version). - but give them credit, with a $15k budget and a tiny independent team all with other full time jobs, they have accomplished a whole lot and the series is improving by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by redwo1f; 09-30-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

I’m likely to pick it up on PS4 since I didn’t see Mac support this year. I played 16 and it was fun old school arcade style. The 2 things I really like 1) Fast pace of play, (ie cant get in and out off huddle very fast. Hope the game is the same. Madden used to be good in that respect but not so much anymore.)

2) The passing cursor. I love the different mechanic. Reminds me of old school John Elway game.

I would love if they took this game in the direction of FPS football with a play editor. I’m curious how good Coach mode is difficulty wise, might be a good coach mode game?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2018, 05:48 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99

I would love if they took this game in the direction of FPS football with a play editor. I’m curious how good Coach mode is difficulty wise, might be a good coach mode game?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Ooh, is there a coach mode? That sparks my interest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »