Home

Axis Football '18 Review

This is a discussion on Axis Football '18 Review within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Axis Football '18 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwo1f
Agreed...but my main reaction I wrote when I did was a general gaming and graphics point of view (not meant exclusively at Axis, but a general take) - I just see too many people immediately turned off of games because sweat doesn't glisten on their faces, etc., lol.

And yes, Axis is far from perfect and still needs a LOT of work and polishing (I downgraded my review to C+/C a week back (with a lot of potential (depending on how long they work on this edition till they go full swing to next version). - but give them credit, with a $15k budget and a tiny independent team all with other full time jobs, they have accomplished a whole lot and the series is improving by leaps and bounds.
I am in agreement here for sure. I would never downplay the effort it took to come this far for the team. It is very impressive and they do deserve all the kudos they can get.

However, the game is not good enough for me to purchase. I know they have a robust career mode which is great, but my focus is how it plays and looks on the field. I am not overly impressed with the AI in many instances, and like it or not, the animations hold this game back from being immersive or believable. Too many ghost tackles, odd animations, etc. I do hope as they move forward they can clean this up or move to a more physics based system.

I am not comparing this game with ANY title. I want to like it...believe me. For me, it is just not there yet.

C
Old 10-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #18
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCraven
Ooh, is there a coach mode? That sparks my interest.

Yeah, options are:

Play
Coach
Spectate
Simulate

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #19
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

It's disappointing that so many are going to write it off so easily. Yes, it's behind Madden, but it has improved exponentially each release. I'm excited for it on console.

It's $20, I expect it to play like a $20 game and not a AAA $60. In time, and with improvement, it will get there. It cannot get there if we don't support it. The customization alone is worth the $20 in my book. Maybe it will be fun, maybe not. For $20, it's an easy risk to take, especially knowing it will be put right back into development.

Major Boise State fan
Old 10-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
It's disappointing that so many are going to write it off so easily. Yes, it's behind Madden, but it has improved exponentially each release. I'm excited for it on console.

It's $20, I expect it to play like a $20 game and not a AAA $60. In time, and with improvement, it will get there. It cannot get there if we don't support it. The customization alone is worth the $20 in my book. Maybe it will be fun, maybe not. For $20, it's an easy risk to take, especially knowing it will be put right back into development.
Appreciate your take on the support for this game. I choose not to contribute because I don't like paying for something I won't use. I understand the thought process on assisting the dev team, but those models don't fit for me. I would not contribute to a GoFundMe account for the game either.

It is just a personal decision, and not a reflection on anyone else who does choose to support by buying. If they stay in business and release over the next few years, I will keep an eye on it. If it gets to the point where I believe it is a game I would play, I will purchase whether it is $20 or $60.

I know it goes against what the community and developers are seeking, but it is just a personal decision on my part.

C
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 4

Axis 3.4 is out!

We're happy to announce that Axis Football 2018 v3.4 is now live! Please see the changelog below for full details.

Fixed the bug where the clock would sometimes run on a kickoff before the ball was kicked.
Fixed the bug where the QB would scramble too often on computers with really high framerates.
Fixed the bug where the game would sometimes freeze up if the score was tied at the end of regulation.
Fixed the bug where wrong jersey would sometimes appear on players if multiple games were played back-to-back
Fixed the bug where uncaught kickoffs that rolled out of endzone would result in an auto safety on the next play
Fixed the bug where selecting a new team strategy with the mouse would snap the ball unintentionally.
Fixed the bug where the AI was making the wrong decision on the penalty if a kickoff was kicked out of bounds.
Fixed the bug where declining a penalty on a turnover put the ball on the wrong side of the field.
Kickers and Punters are now less likely to get injured
Users can now hold the X button on their controllers to run out the clock when on offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #22
Pro

3.4 needs to be followed, of course, by 3.5!!

Fixed a bug that was preventing drafted players from showing up in the list of available players to trade.
Fixed an audio loading asset bundle issue that was sometimes causing the game to freeze up at halftime.
Fixed the spelling of 'concussion'
The ball will now properly be placed at the 20 after an INT and tackle in the endzone.
Touchdowns will no longer be recorded twice when there is a penalty on a scoring play.
The AI will call timeouts more appropriately now when under 2 minutes to go in the half.
You can now shift your safety left and right on formations that only have 1 safety.
Catch logic will now take the number of defenders nearby into greater account.
Catch logic will now take the stats difference between the receiver and defender into greater account.
Catch logic will be based on both catch and awareness for receivers and defenders.
Defending a pass will be based on both cover and awareness for defenders.
Kickoffs caught in the endzone or out of the endzone will now be placed at the 25.
Punts that go into the endzone will always be placed at the 20.
Onside kicks return can now be selected.
The clock can now only be accelerated with the "X" button if the play is pre-snap.
So called "experts" now predict the outcome of your game before it's played. This can be viewed on the game setup screen on the far right tab (new)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #23
Pro

Sorry, the developer had an issue w/3.5, so the above changes represent version 3.6!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0
This game is two years away from being able to compete directly with Madden

I just wanted to say how impressed I am with this game. Every year it’s a monumental leap forward.

The franchise mode is awesome. Better than Madden.

The gameplay itself isn’t Madden. The animations aren’t realistic. It’s more like players run into another player to tackle them. They don’t move that well either. But it’s still a huge improvement over prior years.

If the developers worked on adding more animations and fine tuned the collision system, it would be a better game.

I bought it for $20. I probably won’t get my money’s worth as Madden is still better. But I’m happy to support the developer because this game is 2 years away competing directly with Madden.

Axis Football 2020 will probably be able to compete directly with Madden.

It’s really amazing how this small team of developers has made this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »