Home

Gridiron Champions Has a Release Date, College Football Returns in 2020

This is a discussion on Gridiron Champions Has a Release Date, College Football Returns in 2020 within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Gridiron Champions Has a Release Date, College Football Returns in 2020

Yesterday on Twitter, the folks at IMV Gaming broke the news that they are planning on...

Written By: Chris Sanner

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Gridiron Champions Has a Release Date, College Football Returns in 2020

I'm fine with this being fictional schools as long as it plays well and the Dynasty Mode is what I want in a college game. It is going to be hard to pull that off though. I did back them early on so I'll have a copy either way.

But while I'm excited for their effort, I'm very cautiously optimistic. I didn't mind supporting their efforts since I wanted some form of College football game. I still am happy I did and that this appears to be actually happening.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I feel like I'm supposed to be more excited for the game than I am. I guess I'm kinda numb to it because of all the false hope over the years.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
You may recall the various lawsuits with the NCAA and the end of college sports games. Without the framework to compensate athletes an with how wide ranging the court decisions were — it is quite unlikely a developer will be able to get away with a customizable game with real names of players and logos being possible.
Pretty sure the reason that EA got in trouble with the NCAA was because they were legitimately ripping off player likenesses in the release version of their games. For example, they actually had a #15 QB for Florida who was exactly like Tim Tebow in every way. The same thing happened with Ed O'Bannon on a UCLA All-Time team. It had nothing to do with the player editor. If it did then NBA 2k would be getting sued by Charles Barkley for all the times he's been created by users, the same goes with all the college teams that have been made. I don't see why this game can't have full customization as long as nobody is making any money off of what the users create.

Last edited by BA2929; 04-24-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Pretty sure the reason that EA got in trouble with the NCAA was because they were legitimately ripping off player likenesses in the release version of their games. For example, they actually had a #15 QB for Florida who was exactly like Tim Tebow in every way. The same thing happened with Ed O'Bannon on a UCLA All-Time team. It had nothing to do with the player editor. If it did then NBA 2k would be getting sued by Charles Barkley for all the times he's been created by users, the same goes with all the college teams that have been made. I don't see why this game can't have full customization as long as nobody is making any money off of what the users create.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...-2k-sports-nba

This was as of 2k16, I don't know how many more licenses 2k has paid for:

A records search with the Collegiate Licensing Company found 2K Sports has a license to make video games for the following schools: Arizona, Arizona State, Connecticut, Georgetown, Kansas, Louisville, Michigan, Texas, UCLA, Villanova and Wisconsin. These programs have been confirmed.

Darren Rovell

@darrenrovell
2K has indeed gotten the licenses to at least 10 college teams & will have college basketball.

That is the reason why, the licenses have been bought and paid for.

So, that debunks that theory.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Rookie

jahswill's Arena

OVR: 7

It doesn't debunk anything, Axis football does not have an NCAA license and you can download every college team. They were created by the fans and I haven't seen any problems for them.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahswill
It doesn't debunk anything, Axis football does not have an NCAA license and you can download every college team. They were created by the fans and I haven't seen any problems for them.
It debunks the theory regarding 2k, which is what I was responding to. All I am saying on that is people can't go around claiming 2k get's away with it, so, anyone else can.

Plus, we don't know if the NCAA has their eyes on Axis or not now or in the future.

Last edited by roadman; 04-24-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahswill
Security in obscurity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »