Home

Axis Football 2020 is now live on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux)

This is a discussion on Axis Football 2020 is now live on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2020, 02:30 AM   #9
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Axis Football 2020 is now live on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux)

So I got my review copy this morning at like 9am. Put a little time into it. Played a couple games and testing out franchise now.

First impressions are mostly positive. I'm trying to figure out if they have a list of controls for gameplay. I can't find anything. I don't know what to do while engaging an offensive lineman.

But I'm liking certain parts of the gameplay and other parts not so much.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
So I got my review copy this morning at like 9am. Put a little time into it. Played a couple games and testing out franchise now.

First impressions are mostly positive. I'm trying to figure out if they have a list of controls for gameplay. I can't find anything. I don't know what to do while engaging an offensive lineman.

But I'm liking certain parts of the gameplay and other parts not so much.

When in a game, press start, then you can bumper over to “controls”.

Xbox
B speed move
X power move

I believe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axiscontrol.jpg (54.4 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by Phobia; 10-08-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
So it's been a while, a good long while since I've been able to give my initial impressions of a different football title. I want to say a quick congrats to Axis Games, you have done a tremendous job.

Thoughts & ramblings...

The off-the-field management sim aspect is top notch and will keep the game engaging for hundreds of hours. This alone when compared alongside management sims like OOTP and FM2020, it's refreshing to finally have that in a PC football title. Coincide that alongside true "gameplay" and it's worth the $30 price tag.

Now this ties into one of my major complaints. When you choose, key word here, choose to attempt a feeling of in control gameplay, it blinks as a bright red flashing Suspicious! sign when you feel merely a spectator. It's not that I find an issue with what visually appears on the field, it's the perception of "Madden-ish" style of gameplay. Make no mistake, you can impact the play, but much of what plays out is rating number crunching in the background. This could be argued Madden does the same exact thing but it feels much heavier here.

A few obvious standouts. Running up the middle is very limited, juke or spin, choose your weapon. The vast majority of the time it feels like your only option is to the hold stick up and hope the RNG plays into your favor to break a tackle. What about calling the perfect counter defensive coverage, the DB is directly in front the receiver on a curl but the receiver manages to catch the ball. It makes you feel like the action on the field is not being dictated by on-field interactions.

This is completely acceptable in OOTP when you see a shortstop miss a ball right at him and you get a glorious text box explaining in detail what happened.

"Nick Ahmed sprints to his right, sliding to cradle a fast moving grounder! The ball takes an unexpected hop leaving Ahmed whiffing at air for an easy single to first."

You feel engaged in the game.....but different. This is where Axis Football stumbles. You're left loving the off-the-field but wishing on-the-field was a bit more refined.

Overall, people who love broadcast cam, coach mode franchise will be extremely happy. For those of us who like to play the game plus managed the off-the-field, it will be a mixed bag of feelings.

My simple rating: The foundation is laid for something special.

I appreciate this. This was what I was looking for. If the game still lacked on field, could I still enjoy it in a Coach Mode format? As much as I love OOTP baseball now, I couldn't fully embrace it until I saw some sort of on field action tied to it. The fact that Axis shines with off field management and how deep it is, I can roll with that...for only $30 too??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
Pro

BigOrangeVol4Life's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisGames
Hi folks,

We just wanted to share that Axis Football 2020 is now live on Steam. We've made some pretty drastic gameplay improvements, and we extended an already deep franchise mode.

We would love for you guys to take a look at the game and let us know what you think.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Football_2020/

(Xbox release set for Oct 21st, PS4 release around late November)

Thank you,

Danny
I’m very interested in buying this game for the PS4 when it’s released. Just one quick question... I see you can spectate games, but is it possible to assign all the teams in franchise mode to be controlled by the CPU? I’m talking on the field play as well as all front office moves and decisions. The CPU does it all. All the human player does is watch games on the screen without simulating to the end. The CPU handles its own week to week transactions, the draft, offseason moves, etc.

Last edited by BigOrangeVol4Life; 10-08-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
So it's been a while, a good long while since I've been able to give my initial impressions of a different football title. I want to say a quick congrats to Axis Games, you have done a tremendous job.

Thoughts & ramblings...

The off-the-field management sim aspect is top notch and will keep the game engaging for hundreds of hours. This alone when compared alongside management sims like OOTP and FM2020, it's refreshing to finally have that in a PC football title. Coincide that alongside true "gameplay" and it's worth the $30 price tag.

Now this ties into one of my major complaints. When you choose, key word here, choose to attempt a feeling of in control gameplay, it blinks as a bright red flashing Suspicious! sign when you feel merely a spectator. It's not that I find an issue with what visually appears on the field, it's the perception of "Madden-ish" style of gameplay. Make no mistake, you can impact the play, but much of what plays out is rating number crunching in the background. This could be argued Madden does the same exact thing but it feels much heavier here.

A few obvious standouts. Running up the middle is very limited, juke or spin, choose your weapon. The vast majority of the time it feels like your only option is to the hold stick up and hope the RNG plays into your favor to break a tackle. What about calling the perfect counter defensive coverage, the DB is directly in front the receiver on a curl but the receiver manages to catch the ball. It makes you feel like the action on the field is not being dictated by on-field interactions.

This is completely acceptable in OOTP when you see a shortstop miss a ball right at him and you get a glorious text box explaining in detail what happened.

"Nick Ahmed sprints to his right, sliding to cradle a fast moving grounder! The ball takes an unexpected hop leaving Ahmed whiffing at air for an easy single to first."

You feel engaged in the game.....but different. This is where Axis Football stumbles. You're left loving the off-the-field but wishing on-the-field was a bit more refined.

Overall, people who love broadcast cam, coach mode franchise will be extremely happy. For those of us who like to play the game plus managed the off-the-field, it will be a mixed bag of feelings.

My simple rating: The foundation is laid for something special.
Funny how different people want different things in a sports game. For me, the idea that the result on the field is primarily driven by the player ratings, rather than my skill as a gamer, is great! This is what (for me) makes career/franchise mode shine.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Funny how different people want different things in a sports game. For me, the idea that the result on the field is primarily driven by the player ratings, rather than my skill as a gamer, is great! This is what (for me) makes career/franchise mode shine.
I'm surely not opposed to ratings driving the interaction. That is needed to be as close to realistic as possible.

It is how the visual images represent that interaction which is off. People have long complained of warping/morphing players in Madden, it's more so on display here. Which wouldn't be even a talking point if the on-field gameplay was more like OOTP, a "visual estimate" of what is happening. Instead the on-field gameplay is intended to "played" like a Madden-ish football title.

More testing will need to be done, for instance, how often would a 230lb A+ rated HB break a tackle from a 160lb F rated DB? As of now, it doesn't seem noticeable from my 5 or 6 games.

So in the end, I won't knock it to hard for the visual representation. These are just the aspects I'd like to see improved where the on-the-field is just as engaging as off.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
This or Doug Flutie* Max Football?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanonsilvercreek
This or Doug Flutie* Max Football?
Both

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »