Home

Axis Football 2020 is now live on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux)

This is a discussion on Axis Football 2020 is now live on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Axis Football 2020 is now live on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux)

Can someone compare this to say games like Head Coach 09 or Draft Day Sports Pro Football?

I'm really looking for a football manager, Eastside hockey manager, OOTP type game.

I've played draft day sports and enjoyed it but the clunky sim engine didn't get me hooked, I've LOVED HC09 and I LOVE football manager and eastside hockey manager. If this game instills the same kind of immersion as those, i'm 100% in.

I don't play games, I play coach mode and prefer sports management sims to actual gameplay, which is why i struggle with madden (also the fact that madden is more and more online and i'm a pure offline/single player gamer).
Old 10-09-2020, 10:32 PM   #18
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Let me just preface my impressions by saying I am very happy with the strides both Axis and Canuck Play made this year. In a season where the main game in town has more critics than ever before, both indie titles are really enjoyable and --- with expectations fully in check --- I'm having fun with both.

That being said, here are some fairly detailed impressions of the PC version of Axis 2020 after around 12+ hours of gameplay. I'll try to cover every aspect of this game in as much detail as I can, so long post incoming.

Also, I have not played this game in Coach or Spectator Mode so I can't speak to the effectiveness of either.

IN-GAME:

-Gameplay on default sliders is quick, responsive and fun. I'd say it's more of a hybrid sim-arcade experience out of the box. Getting a speedy player in the open field is really satisfying, and making big plays gives a real sense of accomplishment. I can't really describe the overall feel in many more ways but when this game's playing well, it's pretty refreshing.

-Ratings --- at least when skill position players are concerned --- matter. My A-speed YWR is able to break into the open field much easier than my C-speed ZWR, who almost seems like he's running through mud in comparison. I almost have to plan to get the ZWR into open space before the catch, whereas my speedy slot receiver is more likely to get a ton more RAC.

-Said YWR, however, leads the league in drops due to a C catch rating (the ZWR's catch rating is a B+ and hasn't dropped a pass all season). He can't get into open space if he can't catch the ball. This all sounds like common sense, but I feel as if there's a big difference between dominant players and replacements.

-Off-ball injuries happen quite a bit. I've had multiple linemen sit out a few plays, leave the game and even lost my starting LT for the season (I noticed I gave up quite a bit of sacks as a result). Again, this may all be placebo but it's definitely telling.

-Not a huge fan of the responsiveness of juke and spin moves, but both indie titles have their struggles in that area so I can give them a pass as long as they work on improving them in the future.

-Animations are much better than in previous years but aren't quite polished. They need some more TLC in future installments. Tackling, blocking, locomotion and collision detection are sadly more miss than hit in the game's current state. Like in Maximum, I like that I don't need to dive or hit a button to tackle. This is an area where Maximum currently shines but I'm sure Axis will put the work in for future installments.

-I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that teams don't actually switch sides of the field once possession changes. I'm currently playing nearly all of my games in Baltimore Stadium, and it seems that both offenses only face one side of the stadium (the skyline). The other end of the stadium seems to only be seen on plays with a clear possession change (kickoffs, punts, interception/fumbles).

-Special teams, however, is one area where Axis shines. It seems much more difficult to return kicks than in previous years, but I was still able to rack up quite a few return TD's in my Buffalo Grizzlies regular season. Kicking is challenging but not impossible. You definitely have to adjust to the wind, and it's good to see that speeds fluctuate throughout the game.

-WITH THAT BEING SAID, some of the game rules aren't implemented properly. I've only ever kicked off after halftime, no matter if I kick or receive to start the game. Also, if a punt returner does not receive a punt, and the punting team recovers the ball downfield, the punt team automatically retain possession. This is incorrect --- IRL, the punt team only retains possession if a receiver first touches/fumbles the ball away. I found this out the hard way when I accidentally chose a field goal block formation on a punt, didn't have any receivers back and chose to let the ball roll, only for the punt team to recover and receive a new set of downs at my 5 yard line.

-The experience itself, apart from presentation, is fairly bare-bones. There aren't any pre and post play cutscenes or celebrations to be found, just a very fast-moving game from play to play. It's one of the things that originally turned me off of buying Axis in previous years, but it doesn't quite bother me anymore since the overall gameplay makes up for the lack of in-game bells and whistles.

-I've run into a few strange glitches. One time, the hands team on an onside kick return very jarringly warped into formation after the kickoff. On a separate occasion, I forced the offense to punt, only for them to randomly receive the ball back on their goal line. A sack resulted, and I received a free two points off the safety. Finally, a similar incident happened. After a punt, the original offense randomly received the ball. I went to the pause menu to call a timeout, only for every one of the players on the field to disappear. The game went on as if nothing happened, and as soon as the ball was snapped (by an invisible center), the game locked up and I couldn't pause. Dave Stevens said a line of commentary, and I decided to alt-tab and close the game. Nothing like that's happened since, thankfully.

-For what it's worth, I got around 40 sacks with my DE and 17 sacks with my DT in year one of my Franchise. I don't know if it was poor AI or having a B+ DE and B DT against Tier 3 linemen, but it's certainly something to look at.

PRESENTATION:

-Stat overlays after nearly every play are great to see. Seeing the details of the current drive and relevant stats for players on both sides of the ball adds a lot to immersion. The score bug is also really well designed.

-How about those menus? Some of the best I've seen this year. VERY quick navigation compared to many AAA sports titles. I've run into a few glitches with menus seemingly "overlapping" themselves but I assume that's an easy fix for a future patch.

-The commentary (starring 2K's own Terry McGovern) is ambitious, detailed and can be a foundation for future games. I assume Dave Stevens is Dan's twin brother. He doesn't sound quite as authentic as he did in the original NFL 2K but it's a solid effort, and great to hear him nonetheless.

-Nearly every player's last name is in the game, but aren't said very frequently (many times, McGovern inexplicably reverts to player numbers). The PBP, color and sideline reporter also have very minor "storylines" throughout the game. The weather's impact, for instance, gets referenced quite a bit in the pre-game and a little bit throughout. For example, my wideout dropped a wide open pass and the color commentator blamed it on the heavy rain.

-Another pro to commentary is the "player of the game" segment when you're in the post-game stats menu. It didn't need to be there, but it's a nice touch considering Madden barely does it anymore. Also, this convinces me that the color commentator also has nearly every one of the players' last names recorded as well. It'd be great to hear him use them throughout the game.

-The downsides to commentary may have to be line delivery, repetitiveness, relevance and stitching. Stevens and Steele don't seem to have any chemistry with one another and it's very obvious their lines were recorded separately.

-Many of the changed team names are incorrect on the release day version (Buffalo is still announced as the Indians, Baltimore's still the Braves, Carolina's the Rebels, etc). If they can't be re-recorded, it's probably best they remain city names for now.

-Color commentary is hit and miss. I like him more in this version of Axis than in previous editions, and he certainly has some finer --- and funnier --- moments, but I feel as if he'd be better off keeping scripted lines to a minimum and improvising more often. I think they're trying too hard to make him sound like Peter O'Keefe than letting the character (or voice actor) put more of himself into the role.

-A good example of the color commentator doing it right --- I returned three punts for TD's in a single game (thankfully an anomaly, since it never happened again). After the third score, Steele flat out asked why they kept kicking to him. Minor detail but nice to hear.

-The sideline reporter has some great insight, and even seems to comment on your choice of pre-play strategy. I told my defense to focus on defending the pass and she backed it up after half time. Unfortunately, she also suffers from a bit of over-acting. A really ambitious effort in this department, though, and with more care either in 2020 or in the future it might be a seriously awesome asset among indie sports games.

DEFAULT TEAMS / UNIFORMS:

-A seriously awesome job on the uniforms, logos and designs of all Axis Football League teams. A good mix of modern and classic designs throughout. These teams seriously rival many XFL and AAF designs, and many would fit right in among real-world college and pro teams.

-Uniform selection is very unique and awesome to see. Each team includes a home, away, grey, black and home and away Military uniforms. Many teams also include one (or many) alternate uniform(s) and some pretty unique alternate helmets. Cincinnati's uniforms, for instance, include a pretty cool orange alternate with "THE NATI" on its chest. It's a nice touch. Axis is well on its way to some pretty cool worldbuilding here, and I assume it's only going to get more detailed in future games.

-It's also great that helmets correspond to jerseys (a team colored helmet for home games, a white colored helmet for away, a black helmet for black jerseys, etc). For instance, the Military uniforms come with a black helmet with a flat shaded team logo in "military green". It's a really cool idea, especially considering many teams also include their trademark striping and every team's name on unique chest patches. Canadian teams also wear a Canadian flag patch. This may be inconsequential for some players but is GREAT attention to detail and only builds the Axis Football world.

FRANCHISE MODE:
(NOTE: I haven't played into the offseason yet. I'll be sure to include more impressions once I've advanced to free agency and draft.)

-A true breath of fresh air with a bit of a ways to go. It's right up there alongside the later day PS2/Xbox/Gamecube Maddens, at least.

-I love the option to randomize teams and players, as well as auto-assigning teams to tiers that match their overall ratings. I'm currently in Tier 3 with the Buffalo Grizzlies.

-My biggest complaint so far --- to my knowledge, there isn't an easy way to view an individual player's statistics without going into the "player leaders" menu or the contract negotiations screen. I'd map a player card menu to the right analog stick in every menu, if possible.

-Great decision to count targets as a stat. This is something I've wanted in Madden forever, and I'm glad it's here. It's good to see that players aren't labeled as (for example) "ROLB, LOLB" either. You simply sign running backs, receivers, offensive linemen, defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs. You then assign them specific roles in the depth chart (FB, X/Y/Z WR, WLB, SLB, Nickel Corner, etc.)

-While assigning these player roles in the depth chart is certainly a nice touch, you almost have to rely on your preferences and not any players' specialties. This would be a good place for some sort of "scheme fit", where certain players would work better in certain positions (slot WR, nickel DB).

-Like those aforementioned Maddens, certain coaches and upgrades help certain position groups, morale, and may even help progression. My Buffalo Grizzlies team is currently leading Tier 3 with a long winning streak and morale is at 100. I've noticed players absolutely balling out during gameplay --- not sure if it's because of morale, if I'm playing inferior competition or that their ratings are boosted, but something's happening.

-Practice intensity seems to work as well. I lost my first game 7-3 after multiple dropped passes. I chose to put more hours into pass catching/route running and immediately noticed an improvement. Again, any rating changes aren't reflected in the menus (to my knowledge), so I assume the practices are working and not simply a placebo.

-Free agent contract negotiations work pretty well but I'm not actually sure if any other teams are signing free agents. I was once outbid for a defensive back but haven't seen any other players actually get signed. A "news" or "transactions" log would help here.

-The lack of injured reserve is a bit of a headscratcher, but I'm able to put players who are out for the season on my Practice Squad without a drop in morale or the risk of another team poaching them.

-I would expand the functionality of the practice squad to include direct signings and allow for signings from other teams' PS units. Theoretically, if another team tries to sign your practice squad player, a notification should pop up to allow you to match the offer or let them walk (this is the main gripe I have with Madden's PS system --- players bolt for free without any warning).

-A news or transactions section, beyond the awards screen, would also be great as it often feels like your team's season's in a bubble without any indication of how the other teams are doing other than player/team stat output.

-Simulation stats are okay but aren't perfect. I didn't see a 4000 or 5000 yard quarterback performance in my first campaign (My QB led the entire Axis League in passing with 3600+). The leading receivers were over 1500 yards. I saw multiple receivers on the same team (Arizona, in this case) with over 1000 receiving yards a piece. Run-first teams seem to produce backs with higher rushing totals as well --- the highest I saw, off the top of my head, was around 1500, and the league leader had 20+ TD.

-The only gripe I have with the game calculating touchdowns is that it counts a player's total touchdowns. For instance, I had around 5 punt return TD's with Buffalo's strong safety. The same player recorded two pick-sixes on defense. The "team leaders" menu displayed this as 7 TD's instead of two defensive and five return TD. I'll give this a pass for now since it doesn't break anything (to my knowledge).

-Yearly award voting is interesting in that it doesn't allow a player to win in multiple categories. This is both a positive and negative. As I said before, I recorded 40(!) sacks with rookie defensive end Maldonado. Such a performance would likely put him in contention for ROTY, DPOY and MVP but only resulted in him winning Defensive Lineman of the Year (thankfully for me, Buffalo's QB ended up winning MVP). I'd be more okay with this if he won, say DPOY or MVP and nothing else, but to "only" receive a defensive lineman award for 40+ sacks is a bit underwhelming.

-Prospect scouting is great so far. It's very similar to the current NHL series, in that you have limited opportunities to make sure you find suitable fits for your team. Scouts have specialties among position groups, allowing you to get a detailed look at prospects' final ratings without spending many points. The menu is detailed enough to include suggestions for BPA and Team Needs.

-The improvements I'd personally make to the scouting system include a better fog of war (starting with question marks as ratings until more detailed info's unveiled) and a better idea of where prospects are actually located. I had to manually search in each region for a specific player instead of that info being readily available on the draft pool screen. It'd speed up the process and make things easier.

-That being said, finding gems is definitely possible. I just don't know (right now at least) where any of these prospects will end up. A "mock draft" screen like the NBA series or Madden's "projected draft position" will allow me to plan out each round a bit better.

-I've only completed a single trade so far, so I can't tell how good or bad the trade logic is. I was able to unload my drop-prone starting TE and a 2023 second rounder for Cleveland's 2021 first round pick, so take that for what you will. I'll attempt more trades once I complete an off-season and look to unload some older players/bloated contracts.

-I'm only in the first game of the Tier 3 playoffs right now so I don't have much else to report on Franchise. I'll follow this up (with a shorter post) once I finish an offseason.

OVERALL/TLDR THOUGHTS:

I'm enjoying Axis 2020 quite a bit. Like with Maximum, my expectations are quite low because this isn't a AAA studio with a million dollar budget. There are glitches and imperfections. But the leaps this game's made have been very apparent. The Franchise Mode is for real and is every bit worth checking out --- the fact I haven't scratched the surface says a lot. It's a truly valiant effort. The worldbuilding and attention to detail in several areas is also undeniable. It's a great alternative to Madden and certainly a spiritual successor to its excellent 05-09 PS2/Xbox/Gamecube Franchise Modes. While the in-game experience isn't quite all there --- animations certainly need the most work --- they're the best they've ever been, and I'm very excited to see how Axis supports this game post-release and in 2021!

More impressions to come. I wish this development team all the best, and it's certainly great seeing two independent studios make up for EA's shortcomings.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 10-09-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #19
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

Very brief impressions after playing one playoff game:

-The AI does a good job of adjusting to its offensive situation but it's not entirely perfect. Late game clock management, especially when the team you're controlling is low or out of timeouts, seems very appropriate --- they'll abandon the pass entirely and run the ball. When the AI's down late, they'll tend to target players on the sidelines and run them out of bounds to stop the clock. When they're down in a close fourth quarter, they'll almost always go for it on fourth and attempt onside kicks after they score. On the other hand, they tend to run the ball on third and long far too often (which the color commentator Steele praises as being a good, safe call).

-There's pre-game playoff-based commentary. Not sure if it changes after the first round, but (Dan's Brother) Dave Stevens says something about one team advancing and the other going home. Good banter between the both of them about the stakes of a playoff game. Sadly, it was the only reference to the playoffs either of them made in the entire game, but it was pretty nice to hear.

Here are examples of simulated stats (with the exception of my team, whom I played every game with). Note that these also include postseason stats from the first round of the playoffs. Thankfully, these additional stats don't affect awards, since they're decided before the playoffs take place. To my knowledge, there is no all-star game/pro bowl equivalent either. It'd be nice to have separate playoff stats but that's a very small complaint. Anyway:

About the 16-1 record ... I can't jump to conclusions and say the game's been too easy for my liking. It's either due to morale boosting ratings, very weak competition in Tier 3 or a good practice regimen. I did notice my defense giving up less points as the season went on, as well as my receivers dropping fewer passes. I wish I could say the higher morale and practice actually affects my players' in-game performance, but it certainly seems like it.

With that being said, many of the Tier 3 teams had the worst records of any Axis Division (the league is set up in a promotion-relegation structure very similar to soccer leagues --- the winner of the Tier 3 playoffs faces the last place team in Tier 2 --- in my case, the Mexico City Jaguars). The last place Tier 3 team, the Indianapolis Gladiators, only finished the season with 2 wins.

The reason why my halfback, Marsh, had so few yards is because he was injured midway through the season. His replacement is a rookie halfback, Peyton Craig, with A receiving, A awareness and B speed but a lower B overall rating (Marsh is a B+). I decided to run a pass-heavy offense the rest of the season to compensate for Craig's receiving abilities (which certainly resulted in my quarterback becoming the passing leader and winning MVP). Marsh is 29 and while his speed rating is higher than Craig's, his awareness is lower and I assume he'll regress. He has three years left on his deal so I might replace him for draft capital once the season ends.

The Franchise Records section you see above only lists single game team yardage records, championship wins and win-loss records. It sadly doesn't list the stats of individual players, but I would absolutely love to see all-time player records in an update or in future games.

Will chime in with more impressions after I finish the playoffs.

(EDIT: Had a much closer game this week, winning only by a field goal over the second best team in the tier, Carolina. Onto Mexico City in the Tier 3-Tier 2 championship game...)

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 10-10-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:27 AM   #20
Rookie

binga30's Arena

OVR: 0

Are there mods for this game for real players and team names?
Old 10-10-2020, 06:04 AM   #21
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

A few additional observations before I get into postseason stuff:

-The way the game handles overtime is kinda jarring. At least on my current quarter settings, the game simply gets an extra minute of play, and the game resumes on the current drive until time runs out and there's a winner (two of my games had an extra two "periods"). Games thankfully don't end in ties, but there's no indication on the scorebug that the game's in overtime --- it still displays the fourth quarter. Seems like a simple fix, though.

-Speaking of which, Tier 2 games are much more difficult than Tier 3's. Since being promoted, nearly all of my games went to overtime and I lost a close game at Orlando due to my quarterback.

-The kickoff possession issue I talked about before has been fixed in the latest Steam patch (it always had your team kick off the second half no matter if you chose to kick or receive the opening kickoff).

-The other issue involving the punt team retaining possession if they touch the ball on a punt (or without the receiving team touching the ball first) has also has been fixed in an update. Kick returners also down the ball in the endzone, which didn't happen in the first version of the game.

-Completion percentage is a bit concerning. I've had quarterbacks dink and dunk it all the way up the field, leading them to miss only a few passes per game. Thankfully, it's not always like this. Other quarterbacks try to air it out and are far more erratic. I wouldn't say it's "Robo QB" just yet, but certain quarterbacks always seem to find an open receiver and it makes playing zone a bit more difficult.

-I've run into a few false start penalties while the offense wasn't doing anything. A bit strange, but it's definitely fixable.

-There are a few more quirky things here and there that may cause annoyances but I can't remember all of them. Whatever they were, they're fixable and shouldn't be a problem after future patches.

BRIEF OFFSEASON IMPRESSIONS:

-Progression works nearly as well as it should. I say "nearly" because there were a few very random instances where certain older players would hugely progress but regress in their OVR rating. It doesn't seem to be driven by stats or morale, though the menu states that morale does have a positive effect on progression. All of the players seemed to progress apart from a few older players. Will take a screenshot in the next offseason.

-Again, progression does not seem to be determined by the statistical success a player had. I feel like high morale creates "invisible" ratings boosts as it is, so right now I'm willing to give this system a pass.

-The draft presentation, obviously inspired by ESPN, is really cool. There's even a little "chime jingle" that plays every time a pick comes in. You can choose the speed of the picks or skip (pretty instantaneously) to your own. The clock stops as you make your selection.

-The order in which players get picked seem to be determined by team need and the initial ratings the players have before they're fully scouted. If there's a player you feel is a diamond in the rough, it's probably best to reach for them because there's no indication they'll last another round (unless they're a kicker or a punter, who thankfully only go off the board in the later rounds).

-Speaking of kickers, my drafted kicker disappeared from my contract list (despite still being in my draft log menu) and randomly ended up joining Minnesota. I'm not sure if this issue deals with kickers only, or with positions on your roster that were empty before drafting (I ended up cutting both of my previous kickers before the Draft). I'm going to try drafting another kicker in 2021 and see if he stays on the team this time.

Not a lot more to report other than viewing retirements and examining any coach contracts that may have expired (there are 15 coaches and scouts you can hire, from head coaches and coordinators to individual position coaches. You can also choose to promote coaches from within if you'd like, and coaches/scouts can seemingly be hired and fired at any time). Otherwise, the offseason comes in three parts: Player Progression, The Draft and Contract Negotiations. Players can be traded or signed from the free agent pool at any time --- there is no trade deadline.

(I'm also not 100% sure about this, but I feel like certain free agents disappear once released from your team. Not the best feature I'd adopt from older Madden games.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binga30
Are there mods for this game for real players and team names?
I'm not 100% sure, but apparently there's a NFL mod in the works (there certainly was an NFL mod for previous games in the series, at least according to videos of previous Axis games posted to Ryan Moody's YouTube channel).

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 10-10-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #22
Pro

polyduster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
A few additional observations before I get into postseason stuff:

-The way the game handles overtime is kinda jarring. At least on my current quarter settings, the game simply gets an extra minute of play, and the game resumes on the current drive until time runs out and there's a winner (two of my games had an extra two "periods"). Games thankfully don't end in ties, but there's no indication on the scorebug that the game's in overtime --- it still displays the fourth quarter. Seems like a simple fix, though.

-Speaking of which, Tier 2 games are much more difficult than Tier 3's. Since being promoted, nearly all of my games went to overtime and I lost a close game at Orlando due to my quarterback.

-The kickoff possession issue I talked about before has been fixed in the latest Steam patch (it always had your team kick off the second half no matter if you chose to kick or receive the opening kickoff).

-The other issue involving the punt team retaining possession if they touch the ball on a punt (or without the receiving team touching the ball first) has also has been fixed in an update. Kick returners also down the ball in the endzone, which didn't happen in the first version of the game.

-Completion percentage is a bit concerning. I've had quarterbacks dink and dunk it all the way up the field, leading them to miss only a few passes per game. Thankfully, it's not always like this. Other quarterbacks try to air it out and are far more erratic. I wouldn't say it's "Robo QB" just yet, but certain quarterbacks always seem to find an open receiver and it makes playing zone a bit more difficult.

-I've run into a few false start penalties while the offense wasn't doing anything. A bit strange, but it's definitely fixable.

-There are a few more quirky things here and there that may cause annoyances but I can't remember all of them. Whatever they were, they're fixable and shouldn't be a problem after future patches.

BRIEF OFFSEASON IMPRESSIONS:

-Progression works nearly as well as it should. I say "nearly" because there were a few very random instances where certain older players would hugely progress but regress in their OVR rating. It doesn't seem to be driven by stats or morale, though the menu states that morale does have a positive effect on progression. All of the players seemed to progress apart from a few older players. Will take a screenshot in the next offseason.

-Again, progression does not seem to be determined by the statistical success a player had. I feel like high morale creates "invisible" ratings boosts as it is, so right now I'm willing to give this system a pass.

-The draft presentation, obviously inspired by ESPN, is really cool. There's even a little "chime jingle" that plays every time a pick comes in. You can choose the speed of the picks or skip (pretty instantaneously) to your own. The clock stops as you make your selection.

-The order in which players get picked seem to be determined by team need and the initial ratings the players have before they're fully scouted. If there's a player you feel is a diamond in the rough, it's probably best to reach for them because there's no indication they'll last another round (unless they're a kicker or a punter, who thankfully only go off the board in the later rounds).

-Speaking of kickers, my drafted kicker disappeared from my contract list (despite still being in my draft log menu) and randomly ended up joining Minnesota. I'm not sure if this issue deals with kickers only, or with positions on your roster that were empty before drafting (I ended up cutting both of my previous kickers before the Draft). I'm going to try drafting another kicker in 2021 and see if he stays on the team this time.

Not a lot more to report other than viewing retirements and examining any coach contracts that may have expired (there are 15 coaches and scouts you can hire, from head coaches and coordinators to individual position coaches. You can also choose to promote coaches from within if you'd like, and coaches/scouts can seemingly be hired and fired at any time). Otherwise, the offseason comes in three parts: Player Progression, The Draft and Contract Negotiations. Players can be traded or signed from the free agent pool at any time --- there is no trade deadline.

(I'm also not 100% sure about this, but I feel like certain free agents disappear once released from your team. Not the best feature I'd adopt from older Madden games.)

I'm not 100% sure, but apparently there's a NFL mod in the works (there certainly was an NFL mod for previous games in the series, at least according to videos of previous Axis games posted to Ryan Moody's YouTube channel).
Wonderful in-depth review!

I'm thinking about grabbing this off of Steam this weekend.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by polyduster; 10-10-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #23
Rookie

lordenforcer's Arena

Does this game offer online multi human franchise mode?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #24
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

When this releases on PS4 I am absolutely buying this. Love the reviews and impressions here.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »