Home

Sunday Rivals Winter Update Adds In-Game and Season Stats, Console Development on Hold

This is a discussion on Sunday Rivals Winter Update Adds In-Game and Season Stats, Console Development on Hold within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #9
Rookie

26k's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sunday Rivals Updates (v.12.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
cool, I look forward to it - I only have a mac's in this house so I'll have to wait. Are you a game developer or started this as a side project?
I'm making a game in dreams on ps4 but some aspect are so much harder than others I'm finding - what platform do you use to create in - is it unreal?
Both actually. Full time gamedev and then for fun, um, more game dev...

Rivals is made in Unity! And ya, there's definitely a learning curve to any engine/tool before you get to the point where you're able to make the thing you're thinking about without feeling like you're mainly fighting the tools. I always recommend that people start super simple, don't try and make your dream game the first time round and be accepting of failure, early and often. You'd be surprised how much more you'll learn making a knockoff Pong that people can actually play and give you feedback on. That's really not too far off from my approach to releasing this game as early as I did!
Old 10-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
Rookie

Kayotick's Arena

OVR: 7

Appreciate the updates. One thing that really needs to get fixed is user extra point kicks. They never go in even if you hit max power.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #11
Rookie

26k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayotick
Appreciate the updates. One thing that really needs to get fixed is user extra point kicks. They never go in even if you hit max power.
The mechanic is setup so maxing out the bar (bar turns red) is actually 'over-powering' the kick, which cuts the power significantly. You want to hit just under the 'max' line to get actual maximum power (bar stays white). Is that what you're experiencing?

Sorry if that's confusing, I'm sure there's more work to be done on communicating that system better!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
Rookie

Kayotick's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26k
The mechanic is setup so maxing out the bar (bar turns red) is actually 'over-powering' the kick, which cuts the power significantly. You want to hit just under the 'max' line to get actual maximum power (bar stays white). Is that what you're experiencing?

Sorry if that's confusing, I'm sure there's more work to be done on communicating that system better!
Will check it out once I fire up the game again and let you know

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #13
Rookie

Elway7's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26k
This is true!

FWIW, there will definitely be a season mode with customizable teams, rosters, records, etc. I totally understand the desire for franchise, but to do it right it's basically like building another game on top of an existing football game. Right now I'm just focused on making that first football game as good as it can be
Even as simple as schedule making ability would suffice for a franchise experience, IMO, until the appropriate time to implement such a feature.
Too many people nowadays focus on tattoos, shoe colors, etc etc etc. It's about having great/fun/smooth gameplay and fundamentally sound X's and O's.
You're stadium atmosphere is already ahead of anything Madden has done, ever. Basic and clean.
Looking forward for more updates.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:27 AM   #14
Rookie

26k's Arena

Re: Sunday Rivals Updates (v.12.2)

Update v.12.2 is available today, here's a full rundown of what's included:
https://store.steampowered.com/newsh...88481797984162

The big ticket items are 3 experimental player skill settings to try out, a revamped defensive playbook, defensive play previews, improved character collisions (no more phantom missed tackles), and a bunch of gameplay improvements to try and make the AI more competitive.

The next update will feature fully customizable gameplay sliders, along with better balanced versions of the new skill settings. Really excited to see how folks respond to the experimental ones, 'expert' can be incredibly challenging!
Old 11-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Sunday Rivals Updates (v.12.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26k
The next update will feature fully customizable gameplay sliders, along with better balanced versions of the new skill settings. Really excited to see how folks respond to the experimental ones, 'expert' can be incredibly challenging!
The thing I worry about is the tension between making the skill of the gamer matter, and the game having the players play true to their ratings. In sports games, I always want the ratings of the player to be the primary driver of what happens on the field. Some games, of course, do this better than others. That's why (for me) Front Page Sports Football Pro and NFL 2K5 were the best gaming experiences for me - they didn't go the Madden route of aiming to attract and feature the skill of the gamer over the ratings of the players (like having the gamer use a "catch" button, rather than going off the "catch" ratings of the player, for one example). Can you speak to your thoughts on this topic, and how Sunday Rivals handles this? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #16
Rookie

redwo1f's Arena

I would argue that is is never truly "fair", never truly "realistic" and never truly "equal" when a person chooses to control a player with their controller. There is always differences in hand-eye coordination, reaction speed, a person's processing and identification ability, and even the individual controller devices (and indeed frame-rate too actually plays a role (and that varies depending on system)) -- and this can superceed or vastly mitigate by logical extension player ratings. It's why for any game mode that offers that, there ought to always be a ton of configuration abilities/adjustments to try and compensate to each individual player and their situation.

-- but it is also, in part, why I tout "coach mode" in football games for a more realistic and equal/fair approach if one is truly going for simulation and more authentic representation of player ratings -- but I realize not everyone wants to play their games as a strategy simulation, as I do...

So I think you have to allow a certain amount of forgiveness for player controlled modes/games -- but I hear you. A person either has to accept it is going to be more arcade (indeed that can be quite fun too!) - or as I suggested, have lots of ability to tweak various settings to attempt to account for their individual circumstances, I think, is really the only way.

-- Ik it's a great dilemma with many games with this mode, and I am sorry for the rambling GlennN (I know you are looking for developer response), just these are things that immediately came to mind upon reading.

Last edited by redwo1f; 11-01-2020 at 03:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »