Home

Axis Football 2020 Review - Persistence Beginning to Pay Off

This is a discussion on Axis Football 2020 Review - Persistence Beginning to Pay Off within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
This or Doug Flutie Max Football?
Sunday Rivals for gameplay, MF for college dynasty, Axis for pro franchise.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
Rookie

redwo1f's Arena

You should review Pro Strategy Football 2021 - it is actually really solid for what it indeed does (and gets zero exposure, unfortunately) - just a single lone weekend work developer, but a terrific effort.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #11
Rookie

Re: Axis Football 2020 Review - Persistence Beginning to Pay Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwo1f
You should review Pro Strategy Football 2021 - it is actually really solid for what it indeed does (and gets zero exposure, unfortunately) - just a single lone weekend work developer, but a terrific effort.
Agreed. For what it does, it does it well. Customization is on point, and the results are outstanding. Developer is very active with his community and listens. This title deserves more attention.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwo1f
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Toro50
Agreed. For what it does, it does it well. Customization is on point, and the results are outstanding. Developer is very active with his community and listens. This title deserves more attention.
I will check into this.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 7

I've been playing this since Friday on XBOX and have about 15 hours in. I have to say I am very impressed with what a small team of developers have been able to accomplish.

The graphics are decent. I think they are well past where Maximum Football is. Axis feels like Xbox 360 while Maximum Football feels like original XBOX.

The game play is fun for the most part though maybe a little two easy. I played at all-star for my first seven games. A few games were challenging (I lost 2 out of 9 and won two by less than 2 touchdowns) but others were arena football scores on default settings...75-48, 56-14, etc. Game was more competitive on HOF level. I haven't played console football in about 5 years so I am sure if I had, the results would be more lopsided. Speed kills. I was able (with a "B+" speed) kick returner to get to the outside of the defense often. Three teams were poor so I got 5 touchdowns against them in total. The others were pretty good but I still got returns of about 30 yards. Same with a "A" speed RB. Through 9 league games he is averaging 10.8 yards a game. And, when I used a "C" speed rated back I got no yards so it really is feast or famine. I think the problem is a lack of specific CPU sliders to fine tune the CPU. Sim stats are much more realistic so good job there. Of course, Madden has never gotten it right either trying to balance offense and defense; usually they just make the game harder by boosting CPU players abilities and decreasing or ignoring player skills. How many times was the 99 rated receiver caught by a 66 linebacker? So at least ratings seem to count for something in this game; I can be patient here.

AI for defense needs some work. I could give examples but lets just say it also mimics the Arena League. Offense is super charged, defense not so much. Too many suction blocks that take 1-2 defenders out of some plays leading to QBs with all day to pass and several big plays from those or defenders letting receivers get behind them even on a prevent defensive call.

Audio is pretty good. A little nostalgic to hear Dan Stevens (now called Dave Stevens) from NFL 2K series and they even have a sideline reporter. You never know how much of a difference even repetitive commentary makes until you play Maximum Football with NO atmosphere or announcers.

The UI is excellent and franchise mode is amazing. Definitely a few things I would want to see but overall it is great. Read the more in depth reviews because I don't think I can do it justice here in a couple of sentences.

Definitely a strong replay value with having to work your way up through 3 tiers like a lower league soccer team in Europe. It is different but I really like it, actually. Even if you win your league, you're not done for at least two more years.

Finally, there will be patches coming as that has been the MO of Axis through the years so I think this game may be even better before the new version comes out. I do know they listen to players so they do what they can to make the game better for the community.

Overall, for $30 this is a great game and I highly recommend picking it up!
Old 11-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #14
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Any known release date for PS4?
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #15
Rookie

New to all this the game is out on ps4 now and I see some u tube video that have a nfl mod. Is it available yet on the console and how do you access it. 53 year old grandfather lol
Thanks for any advice anybody can give
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #16
Rookie

I noticed it came out on ps4 some utube viedo are talking about a NFL mod. I'm new to this is it available yet for the console and if so how do I access it

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »