Home

Soooo Some Buddies and I Developing A Football Game

This is a discussion on Soooo Some Buddies and I Developing A Football Game within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Soooo Some Buddies and I Developing A Football Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I did start by asking questions......

Topic of illegal formations being in the game was brought up which intrigued me as it's difficult to do but I would love to see it.

I asked several questions until the answer landed on it (as I understand it) not being an actual penalty but being a group of plays in a playbook that are illegal formation only by name but are actually trick plays.

At that point, I don't know where to go with questions past that because playing a game that has a playbook called "illegal formation plays" that are actually trick plays doesn't intrigue me at all.

and that's perfectly fine. I also mentioned we would TRY to make that possible with testing and if we cannot, we will have a trick playbook for those type of plays. Yes our game seem grand or whatever terminology you want to use, but we're not going to promise anything we cannot deliver.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:06 PM   #50

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregs
and that's perfectly fine. I also mentioned we would TRY to make that possible with testing and if we cannot, we will have a trick playbook for those type of plays. Yes our game seem grand or whatever terminology you want to use, but we're not going to promise anything we cannot deliver.
Yea, you're good and I wish you the best of luck.

I asked questions and you answered them honestly.

Illegal formations are a penalty, not a "type of play." You're the one making the game so if you view that differently, it's 100% up to you for your project.

Again, best of luck to you in your endeavors. At this point I was responding to the guy that said I was unfair for dumping on you without asking questions. In and of itself, that would be a fair criticism but I asked questions to make sure I understood before giving my ultimate opinion.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #51
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Yea, you're good and I wish you the best of luck.

I asked questions and you answered them honestly.

Illegal formations are a penalty, not a "type of play." You're the one making the game so if you view that differently, it's 100% up to you for your project.

Again, best of luck to you in your endeavors. At this point I was responding to the guy that said I was unfair for dumping on you without asking questions. In and of itself, that would be a fair criticism but I asked questions to make sure I understood before giving my ultimate opinion.
I do understand and I appreciate. I do understand they're a penalty so we will try our best to implement it as I'm thinking of two different illegal formations.

1. illegal formation as the penalty of a player not being in their proper spot, therefore causing this penalty. I don't believe this is very common in American Football games so i will not be adding this unless the second co-founder and development lead can implement this without any bugs or glitches.

2. illegal formations as in players line up in unique formations, specifically like the Indianapolis Colts doing a illegal formation play against the New England Patriots, to which former Colt Punter Pat Mcafee talks about on his podcast. Those type of plays will be usable as trick plays IF we cannot get them implemented in the game in a way to use it in its proper context.

I personally believe those illegal formations are similar to some trick plays with their schemes and ideas, but I will not confirm nor deny if we will have them at release. We can patch such a feature in a later update but right now it's on the short list of things to consider.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2021, 11:23 PM   #52

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregs
I do understand and I appreciate. I do understand they're a penalty so we will try our best to implement it as I'm thinking of two different illegal formations.

1. illegal formation as the penalty of a player not being in their proper spot, therefore causing this penalty. I don't believe this is very common in American Football games so i will not be adding this unless the second co-founder and development lead can implement this without any bugs or glitches.

2. illegal formations as in players line up in unique formations, specifically like the Indianapolis Colts doing a illegal formation play against the New England Patriots, to which former Colt Punter Pat Mcafee talks about on his podcast. Those type of plays will be usable as trick plays IF we cannot get them implemented in the game in a way to use it in its proper context.

I personally believe those illegal formations are similar to some trick plays with their schemes and ideas, but I will not confirm nor deny if we will have them at release. We can patch such a feature in a later update but right now it's on the short list of things to consider.
Illegal formations ARE common in American football but are a penalty. Very difficult to program into a game in an organic way that makes sense.

The McAfee play was literally a play designed as an illegal formation to throw the Patriots off (as he mentions in his podcast). It was NOT a play they could have run because it would be a penalty.

It's NOT a trick play because the ball couldn't be snapped.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 1

Will your plays be based mostly on NFL or college football? Will motion be controlled by the user or something that is built into the play? Will your playbooks be mostly one off plays over a number of formations or they will the be focused on a few core concepts with varied looks and variations on concepts? Will you be able to make/customize plays and playbooks?
Old 02-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #54
Rookie

I could be wrong, but I feel like what Dregs is calling "illegal formation" is what my staff calls "unbalanced formations." As Khelis has said, an illegal formation is a five yard penalty on the offense at the snap of the ball.
An unbalanced formation is where there is an ineligible receiver (usually due to being covered up) that sometimes leads to an eligible offensive tackle. Many trick plays are run out of unbalanced formation, so I'm cautiously assuming that's what Dregs is referring to when he says "illegal formations."
Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 PM   #55
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

This may be unrelated to the illegal formation debate but it would be awesome if there are formations that are illegal to start but you had to do one or two motion, shift combinations to make them "legal".

If you snap the ball in the illegal formation, it's a penalty. If you snap while a player is in motion, it's a penalty.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey_v14
Will your plays be based mostly on NFL or college football? Will motion be controlled by the user or something that is built into the play? Will your playbooks be mostly one off plays over a number of formations or they will the be focused on a few core concepts with varied looks and variations on concepts? Will you be able to make/customize plays and playbooks?

our plays will be based on the NFL and college football. Everything you see in both leagues will be in the game as well as older playbooks from the old Dominant Notre Dame up to the recent playbooks. the motion feature will be similar to the madden games where you sent a player to motion before the snap.

The playbooks will be similar to the ones in madden including creating your own playbook as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »