Home

Tabletop hockey games

This is a discussion on Tabletop hockey games within the Other Hockey Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Tabletop hockey games

I am looking to pick one up. What do you suggest? APBA, Strat, Inside the Crease?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Tabletop hockey games

I picked this up for my nephew a while back. No complaints. Solid table top set.

https://www.amazon.com/Stiga-Stanley...=operasport-20
Old 10-07-2017, 04:52 AM   #3
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliDegu2008
I am looking to pick one up. What do you suggest? APBA, Strat, Inside the Crease?
Strat was always my favorite. Hockey is a hard game to capture on a board, and I thought Strat Super Advanced did a good job. Line changes are annoying though.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
I picked this up for my nephew a while back. No complaints. Solid table top set.

https://www.amazon.com/Stiga-Stanley...=operasport-20
I think he means strategy, not 3D, but who knows. Always preferred the bubble myself!

Old 10-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Great topic! I have played most of them over the course of the last 30 years.

For simplicity you cant go wrong with Strat O Matic. Many seasons available. I've been playing this game since about 1980!

For a little more depth Inside the Crease is very good and I would highly recommend it.

The most in depth game I've played and the one I am playing the most right now is Rinkside Hockey by FTP Sports. A little deeper on the learning curve but when you get it down, it's an incredible game.

Some others that are pretty good:

Shootout Hockey-most games can be played in about 15 minutes with full stats. An excellent supplement to any of the above for season replays.

BigBep-Another simple to play with tons of player ratings.

My video gaming has dwindled to almost nil over the past couple of years. Just got tired of the patches and updates and nonsense from dev teams. If you want realistic game play and opponents that play like their real life counterparts board games are the way to go
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
I think he means strategy, not 3D, but who knows. Always preferred the bubble myself!

Ah yes......the "boo" button was the best on that!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Great topic! I have played most of them over the course of the last 30 years.

For simplicity you cant go wrong with Strat O Matic. Many seasons available. I've been playing this game since about 1980!

For a little more depth Inside the Crease is very good and I would highly recommend it.

The most in depth game I've played and the one I am playing the most right now is Rinkside Hockey by FTP Sports. A little deeper on the learning curve but when you get it down, it's an incredible game.

Some others that are pretty good:

Shootout Hockey-most games can be played in about 15 minutes with full stats. An excellent supplement to any of the above for season replays.

BigBep-Another simple to play with tons of player ratings.

My video gaming has dwindled to almost nil over the past couple of years. Just got tired of the patches and updates and nonsense from dev teams. If you want realistic game play and opponents that play like their real life counterparts board games are the way to go
While we're on this subject, has anyone played Big League Manager? It looks almost like Monopoly, but hockey based. Looks very interesting, if you live near 4-6 super hockey fans and have the time to get together once a week.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8

If you go the Strat-O-Matic route I am currently in 3 online leagues using the PC version of the game, I suggest you play the board game and once you understand the ratings and how results are derived upgrade to the PC Game.

Anyway here are a few leagues websites I participate in we have openings every so often:

http://www.cshl.byethost5.com/CSHL.html?i=1

http://www.nsohl.com/

http://usfleagues.net/

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games »