Home

Ice Cold - Iceland's World Cup Run (FIFA WC 2010)

This is a discussion on Ice Cold - Iceland's World Cup Run (FIFA WC 2010) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Ice Cold - Iceland's World Cup Run (FIFA WC 2010)

Iceland_FA.png

Overview of Iceland

Iceland is a European island country located in the North Atlantic Ocean on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. It has a population of about 320,000 and a total area of 103,000 km2 (39,769 sq mi). The capital and largest city is Reykjavík, with the surrounding area being home to some two-thirds of the national population. Iceland is volcanically and geologically active. The interior mainly consists of a plateau characterised by sand fields, mountains and glaciers, while many glacial rivers flow to the sea through the lowlands. Iceland is warmed by the Gulf Stream and has a temperate climate despite a high latitude just outside the Arctic Circle.

According to Landnámabók, the settlement of Iceland began in AD 874 when the Norwegian chieftain Ingólfur Arnarson became the first permanent Norwegian settler on the island. Others had visited the island earlier and stayed over winter. Over the following centuries, people of Norse and Gaelic origin settled in Iceland, from 1262 to 1918 it was part of the Norwegian, and later the Danish monarchies. Until the 20th century, the Icelandic population relied largely on fisheries and agriculture. In 1994, the nation became party to an agreement that established the European Economic Area, thus allowing it to diversify from fishing to economic and financial services.

Iceland has a free market economy with relatively low taxes compared to other OECD countries, while maintaining a Nordic welfare system providing universal health care and tertiary education for its citizens. In recent years, Iceland has been one of the wealthiest and most developed nations in the world. In 2007, it was ranked as the most developed country in the world by the United Nations' Human Development Index, and the fourth most productive country per capita. In 2008, the nation's banking system systematically failed, causing significant economic contraction and political unrest that led to early parliamentary elections making Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir the country's Prime Minister.

Iceland is a developed and technologically advanced society. Icelandic culture is founded upon the nation's Norse heritage. Most Icelanders are descendants of Norse (particularly from Western Norway) and Gaelic settlers. Icelandic, a North Germanic language, is closely related to Faroese and some West Norwegian dialects. The country's cultural heritage includes traditional cuisine, poetry and the mediaeval Icelanders' sagas.

Overview of Football (Soccer) in Iceland

With 20,000 players (men and women) registered at clubs, football is easily the most popular sport in Iceland. Iceland hosted the U-18 European Championship in 1997, but the only time the national team has ever qualified for the final competition of a major tournament was the women's national team for the 2009 Euro Cup. They did so by beating the Irish team.

Iceland's most famous footballer is Eiður Guðjohnsen. He has won two Premier League titles for FC Chelsea as well as the La Liga, Copa del rey and the Champions League title for FC Barcelona.

Personal Goals

My goal in this dynasty is to make a serious run for the World Cup.

I will max the number of attempts to win the World Cup at 3. Meaning, if i don't win the world cup the first time through, i will try again, if i don't win that run, i will try one last time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Ice Cold - Iceland's World Cup Run (FIFA WC 2010)

Winning with Iceland would be so epic. Good luck on this.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecrae
Winning with Iceland would be so epic. Good luck on this.
That's what i thought when i was looking through potential teams and saw them.

I have results from the last 2 friendlies i played, i'll get them up in a sec.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Rookie

Soccer *|* Iceland () at Slovenia ()
, 12F
Iceland112Player of The Game
Slovenia101

A late errant pass by Slovenia led to the game winning goal in the 86th Minute.

Soccer *|* Jordan () at Iceland ()
, 12F
Jordan000Player of The Game
Iceland123

Nothing special to note.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16

Change your editor to basic in your User CP so that when you preview or edit posts with the html in it won't mess it up.

Nice wins over Slovenia and Jordan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
MVP

hockeyplaya2724's Arena

OVR: 29

Iceland, eh?

Good job starting out 2-0, I'll be following
Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Rookie

Soccer *|* Serbia () at Iceland ()
, 12F
Serbia000Player of The Game
Iceland000

Really a match we should have won, we had everything going for us, 11 shots on goal, but their keeper was superb.

Also, i'm gonna bump the difficulty up to pro, i played on semi pro just to get the controls down.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
Rookie

Soccer *|* Libya () at Iceland ()
, 12F
Libya000Player of The Game
Iceland100

Now that's funny: This was a match that could very well have went to Libya, but once we got that first half goal, we stayed solid on defense and never let them through.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »