Home

UFC 2011 - Business As Usual

This is a discussion on UFC 2011 - Business As Usual within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
June 12, 2011

UFC 131: dos Santos vs Carwin
June 11, 2011
Rogers Arena
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Attendance: 9,238

Quick Results
Michihiro Omigawa def. Darren Elkins
Joey Beltran def. Aaron Rosa
Jason Young def. Dustin Poirier
Nick Ring def. James Head
Krzysztof Soszynski def. Igor Pokrajac
Chris Weidman def. Jesse Bongfeldt
Yves Edwards def. Sam Stout
Dave Herman def. Jon Olav Einemo
Donald Cerrone def. Mac Danzig
Demian Maia def. Mark Munoz
Kenny Florian def. Diego Nunes
Junior dos Santos def. Shane Carwin

Bonuses
Fight of the Night: Junior dos Santos vs Shane Carwin
Knockout of the Night: Nick Ring
Submission of the Night: Junior dos Santos (Arm Triangle)

Fighter Salaries
Junior dos Santos $300,000 ($80,000 win bonus) ($70,000 FotN bonus) ($70,000 SotN bonus)
Kenny Florian $130,000 ($65,000 win bonus)
Shane Carwin $110,000 ($70,000 FotN bonus)
Demian Maia $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus)
Nick Ring $78,000 ($4,000 win bonus) ($70,000 KOotN bonus)
Donald Cerrone $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus)
Mark Munoz $22,000
Krzysztof Soszynski $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
Mac Danzig $20,000
Michihiro Omigawa $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Jason Young $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Yves Edwards $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Dave Herman $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
Joey Beltran $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
Sam Stout $12,000
Igor Pokrajac $10,000
Dustin Poirier $8,000
Chris Weidman $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus)
Jon Olav Einemo $6,000
Aaron Rosa $5,000
Diego Nunes $5,000
Darren Elkins $4,000
James Head $4,000
Jesse Bongfeldt $4,000

Predictions
Astyn - 28pts

Notable Injuries
Diego Nunes - 1-2 Months (Dislocated Shoulder with Minor Tendon Damage)
Mac Danzig - 1-2 Months (Pulled Groin Muscles)
Igor Pokrajac - 1-2 Months (Muscle Tear in Right Thigh)
Jason Young - 1-2 Months (Collarbone Hairline Fracture)

Very good prediction from Astyn. Only miscalled two fights. Will be sending PM.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-01-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #42
Rookie

June 13, 2011

Quote:
Just two days after UFC 131 had taken place, Dana White, UFC president, has made an announcement that a fight between current UFC Featherweight champion Jose Aldo and UFC 131 victor and now number one contender, Kenny Florian has been signed and will take place in Stockholm at UFC 139 in November. This is big news, but not too surprising as Florian has the star power to "pull Jose up" as well as headline an international card. This will be Florian's 3rd opportunity for UFC gold, falling short on the first two. Whether the third time's a charm or not, Kenny's veteran presence as well as well-rounded skill set will pose as Jose Aldo's toughest challenge yet.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-02-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #43
Rookie

June 14, 2011

Quote:
Earlier this morning, Dana White's Twitter became active as he posted what appears to be big news.

Code:
Ready to shock the world?! Tomorrow Ill be droppin the bombshell. Time to take this shiit to the next level!!!!
Dana has a history of hyping his 'major announcements' up, and he rarely disappoints. I'm not sure what it is, but we can always speculate. Perhaps an early merger with Strikeforce? A major signing? Another promotion buyout? Hopefully it's not a pullout and replacement in an upcoming event. My money's on a new Flyweight division, although it's almost impossible to predict.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-02-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #44
Rookie

June 15, 2011

Quote:
Today Dana unleashed some major news in the UFC. In an interview with Ariel Helwani, he announced a reincarnation perhaps, to an old PRIDE tradition, by bringing back a worldwide Grand Prix. Also in the interview, he outlined the way in which this 'new-age' GP will work and who will be competing in it.

Ariel Helwani
Ariel Helwani here with UFC president, Dana White. Dana, first of all, I would like to say, as always, it is a great pleasure in getting a word with you.

Dana White
Haha, I wish I could say the same for you.

Ariel Helwani
I'll bug ya anytime you want bud. Anyways, your Twitter account said something about a major announcement today. Have you made that announcement yet?

Dana White
No no, I'm getting to that. If you don't get on my nerves too bad, I'll announce it now. But first, I can't help but get pumped up for this upcoming card on Versus. I mean, how can you not be impressed with Anthony Johnson and Nate Marquardt?! I know I have been critical of Marquardt's performance in big fights before, but I honestly feel as if he has matured more than ever in the octagon and that problem may've fixed itself. Then there's Anthony Johnson, a guy that never fails to entertain the fans. He's on quite a run too, I mean, competing at this level in the UFC is no joke. All I can say is the winner of GSP/Diaz better be watching this fight.

Ariel Helwani
Are you saying the winner of this fight gets a shot at the UFC belt after Diaz?

Dana White
We'll see how things go. They're 'in the mix'.

Ariel Helwani
The whole card is shaping up to be a good one. Any comments on the other fights?

Dana White
I could talk all day about the rest of the card, but I think I'd be better if I just said watch it. Joe Silva really outdid himself in this one.

Ariel Helwani
And the announcement?

Dana White
Ugh, sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a four-year old child asking life's most complicated questions. Well, for some time the 'skeptics' have criticized the UFC in our statement that the UFC is home to the world's best fighters. No matter who we bring in, someone will shine somewhere else and will be compared to the best here. Well, if people really think these guys can compete on a UFC level, here's there chance to prove it. I have organized a Lightweight Grand Prix to happen in 2012. There are sixteen fighters competing and replacements just in case something were to occur.

Ariel Helwani
You said 'these guys', who are they and are they under UFC contracts now?

Dana White
They are fighters from around the world. In other organizations. As we speak, five of the sixteen competitors were, and still aren't under a UFC contract. See, what we did is we had them sign a very loose contract with our parent company, Zuffa. These fighters have no restrictions on when and where they can fight. The contract does not bind them in any way to fight for the UFC, they just have the option. They have all verbally agreed to fight in the Grand Prix, and they will, as long as they want to fight the best in the world.

Ariel Helwani
Is there any word on who will be competing?

Dana White
As I stated, the best Lightweights in the world. We will be releasing the fighters shortly.

Ariel Helwani
Is there any more information on the contracts with Zuffa?

Dana White
I would tell you if I knew, all I know is Zuffa arranged it and I have no control over the details.

Ariel Helwani
Does the UFC plan to sign these fighters if given the chance?

Dana White
I have no comment.

Ariel Helwani
One more and I'll let you go, will the tournament be for the UFC Lightweight Championship?

Dana White
While the Lightweight Champion will be competing, his belt will not be on the line for obvious reasons. He can't fight a non-UFC employed fighter for the UFC belt. If the winner of Edgar/Maynard happens to lose to another UFC fighter in the tournament, it is safe to say he should find himself in title contention easily. Regardless, the winner of this Grand Prix will be declared the top Lightweight fighter in the world.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-02-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #45
Rookie

June 16, 2011

UFC Live: Marquardt vs Johnson
June 26, 2011
Consol Energy Center
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Prediction Cheat Sheet

Nate Marquardt | Anthony Johnson in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Cheick Kongo | Pat Barry in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Martin Kampmann | John Howard in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Matt Mitrione | Christian Morecraft in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Tyson Griffin | Manny Gamburyan in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Joe Stevenson | Javier Vazquez in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Joe Lauzon | Curt Warburton in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Matt Brown | Rich Attonito in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Charlie Brenneman | TJ Grant in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Nik Lentz | Charles Oliveira in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Ricardo Lamas | Matt Grice in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
Michael Johnson | Edward Faaloloto in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec

Example:
Nate Marqardt | Anthony Johnson in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec
or
Nate Marquardt | Anthony Johnson in Round 1 | 2 | 3 | Dec by way of KO/TKO | Sub | Dec

Remember, 2pts for the winner, 1pt for correct round, 1pt for way of victory.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-01-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #46
Rookie

June 17, 2011

Quote:
To the fighters' delight, Dana White left out the "fighters released" section of his post-UFC 131 analysis. Recently, this is also where we see the asterisks by the fighters sent to Strikeforce. It looks like each of the fighters that suffered a defeat at UFC 131 will again fight in the octagon.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-02-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #47
Rookie

June 18, 2011

Quote:
Today, MiddleEasy reporter, Matt Givens got a word with Anthony Johnson on his June 26th bout with Nate the Great.

"Everyone says this will be the toughest challenge of their career, but this fight truly will be. Nate is a great guy, a guy I would love to train with because I feel his skills and my skills are two totally different aspects to the MMA game. This fight's outcome will all depend on where the fight goes and to whom's strength it will reside in. Of course I will try to implement my gameplan, and I'm sure Nate has a great gameplan as well. It will be a great fight, and I expect to have my hand raised by the end of the night.

When asked where he feels he resides in the Welterweight division, he had this to say.

With a win here, I don't see why I shouldn't get the next shot at GSP. I mean, who else is there? Fitch already lost to GSP and is coming off a draw with BJ, it wasn't too long ago when we saw Diego get massacred at Lightweight, and GSP/Silva appears to be a fantasy that will never happen. I honestly think the winner of this fight should get the next title shot.

Johnson also had something to say on the upcoming Welterweight title fight.

I sure hope Diaz wins. I mean, I think I have the tools to beat either one, but I believe a fight with Nick would be a lot more entertaining for the fans. GSP has been anything but exciting lately. Atleast if I fight Diaz, the fight will be explosive from start to finish. Against GSP, I will have to be the one that keeps people interested by implementing my pace. Ever since his fight with Dan Hardy, I've lost all interest in St-Pierre.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-02-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #48
Rookie

June 19, 2011

Quote:
Very close sources to the UFC have made contact with us with a possible rumor pointing to Royce Gracie's return to MMA. The sources told us there is a possibility that Gracie has been contacted by the UFC to begin contract negotiations to fight in Brazil on the upcoming UFC: Rio card. Although nothing has been confirmed, we can speculate if this is in fact true, who will he been competing against? Senior writer Dan Berglie composed a list of possible contenders he wouldn't be surprised to see Gracie fight.

Matt Hughes
With such a one-sided fight the first time, most would say Gracie would be crazy to take this fight, but after Hughes' last performance, Gracie will probably fare much better. Also with the legacy Royce carries, it only makes sense to try to avenge his loss to Hughes while he is still physically able.

Matt Serra
Serra has been debating retirement for quite some time now. A last fight against Royce might be the only way the former Welterweight Champion can get his name on the PPV card again.

Frank Shamrock
Okay, I admit this is quite a stretch, but think about it. The famous Gracie/Shamrock fued this time resolved in the Gracie-land. Although Shamrock has already retired, it is not uncommon to see retired fighters go back to active competition...Randy? Since Frank is already under contract with Zuffa, it is more possible than...

Ken Shamrock
Yes. Yes, Ken is a lot bigger than Royce, but honestly when is the last time we saw Royce compete? We don't know how big he might be. Ken seems like he will do just about anything to prove he can still be a draw, and this may be the easiest way to do it. This will probably be the only situation where Royce would come in as the favorite.

BJ Penn/Georges St-Pierre
If this is the case, RIP Gracie. But it isn't completely impossible. At UFC 60, they threw the veteran in with an extremely dangerous #1 Welterweight. I know it seems like a lifetime ago, but Matt Hughes was in his prime. Who knows, the UFC could do it again, although it will no doubt ruin some matchups, and I honestly don't see the UFC scrapping GSP/Diaz as it is probably their next biggest draw.

Last edited by stangejr; 08-02-2011 at 12:10 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »