Home

Rewriting the history of NASCAR (Starting in 1980)

This is a discussion on Rewriting the history of NASCAR (Starting in 1980) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #81
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Rewriting the history of NASCAR (Starting in 1980)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAkin24
Congratulations on your first win of the season!

I have in the past kind of did something similar to what you are doing.

I plan on starting off in BGN full time 1990. Maybe a possible select few races in 1988 - 1989. I'm currently working on painting the 1990 BGN car set. Whenever I get around to finishing that then I will plan to start my 'career'. There is obviously my 1990 BGN set in progress, a completed 1991 set, a 1992 and 1993 set in progress and a 1994 set complete.

I 'hope' to move up to Winston Cup no later than 1995.

In 2010, I used the 1994 BGN car set and ran a full schedule, 100% length races. I set the opponent strength too low though and won the championship by over 700 points. So I will start a new 'career' going full time in 1990 BGN and working my way up.

I really enjoy stopping by here and keeping an eye on your career. You're shaping up to be an eventual Winston Cup Champion, lol. I plan on using a very similar layout (for starting grid, race summary, my race summary) that you do. I had been thinking of a way to make it look more realistic and more fun for people to keep track of my career and when your page here through a Google search for something completely different, it helped me out quite a bit. I knew when I saw this I just had to make an account here and follow you!
Thanks for the good words! I too was google searching once a few years ago when I was planning on something like this and painting the 1980 set and found one from a different forum which got me going. I am looking forward to when you get your rolling. I enjoy reading these aswell as there is not very many of them lol.

"NASCAR Winston Cup Series"

"Budweiser NASCAR 400"
June 7th, 1981

"Texas World Speedway"
College Station, Texas

Race 14 of 31 during the 1981 Season

"Past Winners"
1980: Jody Ridley

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"#11 Darrell Waltrip earns his 4th pole of the season and his 24th career pole"

"#15 Lake Speed, #24 Cecil Gordon, #25 Ronnie Thomas & #20 Rick Newsom go 4 wide causing Speed to get turned sideways, but was able to recover and not cause a big wreck"

"More drivers go 4 wide with #38 John Anderson getting turned around, but once again great driving allowed him to get the car going in the right direction without a big wreck"

"A big wreck happens going into turn 3 when #21 Neil Bonnett comes up on #88 Ricky Rudd & #47 Ron Bouchard. Many drivers show off slicing through the spinning cars with no one taking a huge hit in the melee"

"#45 Baxter Price don't slow down to avoid the sloing #21 of Neil Bonnett and slams him into the wall causing both to flip with Bonnett taking the worst of it flipping 13 times"

"#11 Darrell Waltrip tries to get down on the track, but #5 Morgan Shepherd is there and hs spins himself out into the infield grass with no damage"

"#23 Bryan Dehn get's sandwhiched between #48 James Hylton & #99 D.K. Ulrich and causes a huge wreck where it seems the length of the race took it's toll as many spinning cars were not missed taking out a bunch of cars"

"#77 Lowell Cowell goes for a ride when he and #2 Dale Earnhardt get together in turn 2"

"#43 RZichard Petty is looking for any way to get a victory riding on the roof of #7 Dick Brooks during a huge pile up coming off of turn 2"

"#28 Bobby Allison makes a last lap pass to win his 3rd race of the season and the 55th of his career"

"Race Recap"
Current season points leader, #28 Bobby Allison extends his lead a little bit by taking the checkered flag today. Early on there was a lot of action with many cars getting through the trouble without any major incident, but the 2nd half of the race proved difficult to navigate as many cars were taken out by not being able to get through the melee as fatigue seemed to set in driving nearly full throttle around the 1.5 mile track. The field set a new NASCAR record of 34 different leaders during the race (Statistics started in 1980). So far in 1981 there hasn't been nearly as many cautions, but today there was 8 yellow flags. There was 34 drivers each leading a lap exchanging the lead 69 times.

"Lap Leaders"
Way too many to list

"Fast Laps"
#28 Bobby Allison "36.781 - Lap 17"
#15 Lake Speed "36.818 - Lap 37"
#33 Harry Gant "36.820 - Lap 17"
#10 Cale Yarborough "36.835 - Lap 104"
#70 J. D. McDuffie "36.933 - Lap 37"

"Video Recap"

"Video has been improved to include all information rather than just a highlight"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
I followed up my 1st victory of the season with a front row starting spot and was doing well staying near the back of the top 10 through out the race dodging the spinning cars, but I got tapped in the back by #99 D.K. Urlich getting me a bit loose and then tried to fall back in line, but I was too close to #48 James Hylton in front of me sending both of us for a long ride heading into turn 3. I finished 21st still on the lead lap after driving on my side along the wall for a while so it could have been worse.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Warner H. Hogdon 400
Riverside, California
June 14th, 1981
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #82
MVP

OVR: 17

Great job with this as always!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #83
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliDegu2008
Great job with this as always!
Thanks buddy!

"Warner H. Hogdon 400"
June 14th, 1981

"Riverside International Raceway"
Riverside, California

Race 15 of 31 during the 1981 Season

"Past Winners"
Spring 1980: Dale Earnhardt
Fall 1980: Darrell Waltrip
Spring 1981: Dale Earnhardt

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"#11 Darrell Waltrip earns his 5th pole of the season and his 3rd pole in the last 4 races at Riverside"

"#28 Bobby Allison and #44 Terry Labonte fight side by side for 3rd place on lap 6"

"#28 Bobby Allison suddenly slows to pit in front of #23 Bryan Dehn on lap 12"

"While under caution #90 Jody Ridley has fuel line problems and is forced to retire from the race"

"#86 Elliott Forbes-Robinson spins out #21 Neil Bonnett on lap 21"

"Most of the field pits under caution"

"After the restart the cars that didn't pit did so under green flag conditions"

"#99 D.K. Ulrich blows his engine and spins out in his own oil causing him to hit the inside wall hard"

"In the final turn to take the checkered flag #23 Bryan Dehn pushes it too hard and runs into #2 Dale Earnhardt"

"#6 Joe Ruttman slides under the melee and earns his 1st career victory in just his 17th career start"

"Race Recap"
#11 Darrell Waltrip took himself out of the running for the victory when he failed to pit under caution then came in under green flag conditions to put himself too far back to be a factor. #2 Dale Earnhardt and Waltrip have dominated Riverside as of late with both always starting in the front row and both always finishing 1-2 until today when #6 Joe Ruttman became the first rookie to win a race this season and becoming the first driver to take the victory over both Waltrip and Earnhardt. #28 Bobby Allison extends his season points lead over #44 Terry Labonte with his first good finish on the road course with a solid 2nd place finish. There was 3 cautions for 6 laps and 4 drivers exchanged the lead 8 times during the race.

"Lap Leaders"
#2 Dale Earnhardt "Laps 1 through 8"
#11 Darrell Waltrip "Laps 9 through 14"
#28 Bobby Allison "Laps 15 through 35"
#11 Darrell Waltrip "Lap 23"
#2 Dale Earnhardt "Laps 24 through 32"
#28 Bobby Allison "Laps 33 through 35"
#6 Joe Ruttman "Laps 36 through 37"
#2 Dale Earnhardt "Laps 38 through 47"
#6 Joe Ruttman "Lap 48"

"Fast Laps"
#23 Bryan Dehn "1:19.865 - Lap 31"
#11 Darrell Waltrip "1:99.907 - Lap 2"
#28 Bobby Allison "1:20.042 - Lap 3"
#6 Joe Ruttman "1:20.042 - Lap 40"
#23 Bryan Dehn "1:20.104 - Lap 4"

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
My day was good riding along in the top 5 for most of the day only having that one issue with Bobby Allison early on in the race that didn't effect either of us. I was riding in 2nd place behind Dale Earnhardt in the closing laps and waited until the final turn to make my move, but I caught Joe Ruttman coming on the inside and pushed the throttle down knowing the only way to win the race was to try and see if the car could hold the corner, but it didn't and I got into Earnhardt. I still finished in the top 5 though just two weeks after my first win of the season. I hope to have this continue and get back into the championship race with half the season left to go.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Gabriel 400
Brooklyn, Michigan
June 21st, 1981
Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #84
MVP

redsrulenc's Arena

Dude this looks incredible. Just now seeing it for the first time.

Edit- And I also just realized this thread was dead a long time, but from the looks of it, attention needs to be brought back to it once more.

Run For The Playoffs - A Louisville Bats AAA dynasty

Gimmie A Hell! Gimmie A Yeah! - This is Blue Mountain State Football.

Single-A Baseball on The Show? Un-Flocking-Believable! - Go Myrtle Beach Pelicans!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #85
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrulenc

Edit- And I also just realized this thread was dead a long time, but from the looks of it, attention needs to be brought back to it once more.
I completely agree, this is one of the best I have ever seen. This needs to come back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #86
Rookie

JohnnyP1119's Arena

OVR: 2

As a huge fan of NASCAR I'm going to start off by saying that this is amazing...

But even if I wasn't, the amount of detail you have put into this dynasty is bar-none.

I hope you keep this up for a long time man, would like to see how your guy does, and who ends up with the championships down the line.

One question that may have been answered before but I didn't see: Will you be determining the fate of drivers? Say Jody Ridley for example, who only competed in I believe 3 full-time seasons, would you be the one to put him in a higher profile care due to his sim success?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #87
Pro

Well, It's been a year and a half since I have worked on this and I have been thinking and wanting to pick this back up for the past couple months, but tossed and turned on whether or not I should start something I will probably get burned out on again. I decided to say screw it and do it anyway. The main reason is I can't quite afford to run iRacing right now so I need my racing fix (****ing Daytona). I made it a year and a half the first time so it was a good amount of work done and I really want to see it go on.

One thing I am dropping is the BGN portion which was fun to do, but more than needs to be done. Another change will be incorporating Twitch into the fray. I used to store races up and post then and a pretty regular 3 day schedule, but now I will be posting them real time a day or 2 after I stream the actual race most likely 2 races a week streaming on Monday & Friday tentatively.

So if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I am all ears. Thanks for looking. I hope some will enjoy and I think a few older readers will at least....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrulenc

Thanks a lot!!! Hope your still around to see it pick back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCailean
I completely agree, this is one of the best I have ever seen. This needs to come back.
Thanks for the good words! It's coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP1119
As a huge fan of NASCAR I'm going to start off by saying that this is amazing...

But even if I wasn't, the amount of detail you have put into this dynasty is bar-none.

I hope you keep this up for a long time man, would like to see how your guy does, and who ends up with the championships down the line.

One question that may have been answered before but I didn't see: Will you be determining the fate of drivers? Say Jody Ridley for example, who only competed in I believe 3 full-time seasons, would you be the one to put him in a higher profile care due to his sim success?
Thanks! Yes I will be making changes, but trying to stay true to the real history. An example is Cale Yarborough last full time season was in 1980, but I added a 2nd Junior Johnson car to have him run full time in 1981 and possibly beyond. With that change a couple other drivers are not in their respective 1981 cars. I don't want to change too much, but some high profile and low profile changes will be made.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #88
Pro

"Gabriel 400"
June 21st, 1981

"Michigan International Speedway"
Brooklyn, Michigan

Race 16 of 31 during the 1981 Season

"Past Winners"
Spring 1981: Cale Yarborough
Fall 1981: Billie Harvey

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"Current Winston Cup Champion #27 Benny Parsons wins his 1st pole of the season and only his 13th career pole in 372 career starts"

"#6 Joe Ruttman fresh off his 1st career victory pulls a bold move passing 7-8 cars while entering pit road without speeding"

"On lap 25 #3 Richard Childress blows his engine while running up front"

"#23 Bryan Dehn get's pushed up into the wall just a bit causing sparks to fly when #10 Cale Yabrorough moves up the track"

"A beat up #64 Tommy Gale comes out of the pits not up to full speed gets infront of #67 Buddy Arrington causing the big wreck on the day"

"This results in a big pile up entering turn 3 with #19 Dick May t-boning Arrington in the drivers door at near full speed"

"#23 Bryan Dehn drives too deep into turn 1 on lap 61 sliding up the track and hitting #10 Cale Yarborough causing Dehn to spin out and slap the wall"

"#10 Cale Yarborough has the field lapped when #87 Gary Balough and #48 James Hylton get together in front of Yarbrough on lap 83 There was no caution and Yarborough pitted on the next lap giving up the huge lead"

"#28 Bobby Allison & #11 Darrell Waltrip battle for the lead with 10 laps to go in the race"

"#28 Bobby Allison hold off Waltrip to take the checkered flag winning his 4th race of the season and the 61st of his career in 514 career starts"

"Race Recap"
#28 Bobby Allison won for the 2nd time in 3 races leading the mast laps in the race with 60. #10 Cale Yarborough looked like he had the car to capable of winning in the late stages of the race trying to win his 2nd Spring race in a row at Michigan, but an unlucky no caution giving him another disappointing finish in 1981 in 14th. Some may say he is not too happy with his own decision to come back and run a full schedule this season. #11 Darrell Waltrip moved into 2nd place in the season points standings over taking #44 Terry Labonte with a 2nd place finish behind Allison by 112 points. There was 3 cautions for 12 laps and 8 different drivers exchanged the lead 12 times during the race.

"Lap Leaders"
#28 Bobby Allison "Laps 1 through 22"
#2 Dale Earnhardt "Lap 23"
#5 Morgan Shepherd "Laps 24 though 25"
#28 Bobby Allison "Laps 26 through 27"
#48 James Hylton "Laps 28 through 30"
#11 Darrell Waltrip "Laps 31 through 50"
#28 Bobby Allison "Laps 51 through 52"
#21 Neil Bonnett "Laps 53 through 59"
#28 Bobby Allison "Laps 60 through 76"
#1 Buddy Baker "lap 77"
#48 James Hylton "Laps 78 through 79"
#10 Cale Yarborough "Laps 80 through 83"
#28 Bobby Allison "Laps 84 through 100"

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
It took the entire 1st half of the race for me to work my way up to 2nd place, but could never make the last pass to get a lap lead. After a restart i fell back to 10th place and began to push my car too hard and spun effectively ending my day. I make a pit road mistake having to come in under green to serve the penalty putting me a lap down and then another lap down when I had to make my last pit stop with around 15 laps to go. Another frustrating big track race to say the least.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Firecracker 400
Daytona, Florida
July 4th, 1981

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »