Home

Rewriting the history of NASCAR (Starting in 1980)

This is a discussion on Rewriting the history of NASCAR (Starting in 1980) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Rewriting the history of NASCAR (Starting in 1980)

"NASCAR Winston Cup Series"

"Mason-Dixon 500"
May 18th, 1980

"Dover Downs International Speedway"
Dover, Delaware

Race 12 of 31 during the 1980 Season

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"#11 Cale Yarborough earns his 3rd pole of the season leading the field down to take the green flag at the monster mile"

"After leading 78 of 84 laps pole sitter, Cale Yarborough blows his engine and is done for the day"

"A pack of cars slow up to avoid wrecking, but #23 Bryan Dehn couldn't get slowed up in time and get's into the #24 car of Cecil Gordon"

"More cars get into each other trying to get back to speed on the back stretch after the melee in turn 2"

"#23 Bryan Dehn misses pit road causing him to go a lap down"

"Fighting to get his lap back Dehn tries too hard and get's loose in turn 2 and falls too far behind the leaders"

"Soon after the caution Dehn needed to get back on the lead lap #45 Baxter Price loses his engine bringing out the caution"

"The #75 car get's into trouble again, this time with John Anderson behind the wheel, but was able to continue"

"#28 Buddy Baker goes to make a pit stop, but Dehn didn't get the message and spins him around in turn 3"

"#71 Dave Marcis wins the race and takes the checkered flag for 3rd time this season and the 7th time in 348 career starts"

"Race Recap"
Cale Yarborough had another race winning car, but once again engine troubles forced him to retire. Dave Marcis dominated the last portion of the race and took the checkered flag. A lot of the drivers in the top 10 in points had bad days so Dale Earnhardt's 2nd place finish pads his points lead that much more as we near the half way point of the season. There was 5 caution flags for 20 laps and 14 different drivers lead a lap exchanging the lead 31 times.

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
Mistakes reared their ugly head once again after a few weeks of good clean racing. Missing the pits caused me to go a lap down that I could never make back. Finished just out of the top 20, but I am still sitting really well in the points standings in 6th place.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Winston Open
Charlotte, North Carolina
May 25th, 1980
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
Pro

"1980 Winston All-Star Race"
May 25th, 1980

"Charlotte Motor Speedway"

"Winston Open Race"

"#72 Joe Millikan leads the field of 22 to earn a spot in the Winston All-Star race"

"The field comes in to make their mandatory pit stop near the half way point in the race"

"#44 Terry Labonte taks the checkered flag leading over half of the race to earn the 10th and final spot in the Winston All-Star race"

"Race Recap"
The race went caution free. No one really had the car to beat Terry in the race as he dominated from a little before the half way point to the finish line.

"Winston Open Results"

"Winston Race"

"#15 Bobby Allison won the draw to take the pole and is trying to win both the Busch Clash and the Winston in the same year"

"The field of 10 cars all bunched together going down the back stretch early in the race"

"#11 Cale Yarborough has had a strong car all year, but finally was able to finish a short race without his engine going sour taking the victory in the 1980 Winston All-Star race"

"Race Recap"
Bobby Allison went from 1st to last on the 1st lap of the race and stayed there the entire 30 laps. Richard Petty had a shot to win, but Cale Yarborough was just too strong to get the job done. There was no cautions during the 30 lap race.

"Winston Results"

"Next Race"
World 600
May 26th, 1980
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
Pro

"World 600"
May 26th, 1980

"Charlotte Motor Speedway"

Race 13 of 31 during the 1980 Season

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"#2 Dale Earnhardt earned his 4th pole of the season and the 8th of his short career"

"Fighting to get into the top5 early on #23 Bryan Dehn tapped the fender of #27 Benny Parsons and was sent spinning nearly ending his day as he just get's out of the way of #88 Darrell Waltrip"

"#11 Cale Yarborough assumes the lead and leads the most laps in the race once again, but can he hold on and get a good finish on the day?"

"Dehn was over driving to get back up front and got into the back of #9 Bill Elliott causing both of them to spin out down the back stretch"

"#45 Baxter Price and #12 Donnie Allison get together in turn 3 to bring out the 3rd caution of the day"

"Now 2 laps down Dehn get's spun out by #5 Sterling Marlin causing a huge pile up on the front stretch ending many drivers day including Dehn"

"#39 Blackie Wangerin got the worst of the wreck fliping end of end and finishing up on his roof, but walked away with a few minor bumps and bruises"

"#44 Terry Labonte slowed on the front stretch causing #52 Jimmy Means to tag him in the rear causing the 5th and final caution of the day"

"#15 Bobby Allison dominated the end of the race leading 39 laps, but the off the pace car of #28 Buddy Baker slowed him up enough to lose the lead"

"#3 Richard Childress takes advantage of Allisons misfortunes and motors his way to his 1st career victory in his 246th career start"

"Race Recap"
For the 3rd time this season Cale Yarborough has led the most laps int he race only to have something go wrong, but a top 15 finish is a lot better than having to retire early in the race. He still sits out of the top 10 in points as we get closer to the half way point in the season still without a victory. Points leader Dale Earnhardt also had a forgettable day allowing Dave Marcis, Benny Parsons and Bobby Allison to move closer with Marcis within 100 points. There was 5 cautions on the day for 18 laps. 14 drivers each lead a lap today exchanging the lead 27 different times.

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
Another race, another bad mistake filled day. The early spin was trying to force and issue that an experienced driver wouldn't have made along with the contact with Elliott on the back stretch. The big one that ultimately took me out wasn't my fault though and was spun out trying to get my laps back. After a few good weeks I fall out of the top 10 in points from 6th to 13th. The good thing is there is only a couple more tracks that I haven't run on yet this season and will not be going from week to week on a track I have never even been at yet.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Budweiser 400
College Station, Texas
June 1st, 1980
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Pro

"Budweiser 400"
June 1st, 1980

"Texas World Speedway"
College Station, Texas

Race 14 of 31 during the 1980 Season

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"#12 Donnie Allison earns his 1st pole of the season and the 18th of his career"

"The racing mimicked a race run at Talladega with a different driver leading each lap and 3 wide racing from start to finish"

"#71 Dave Marcis and #93 Don Whittington get caught up in the 1st caution of the day racing the track in the wrong direction"

"The 2nd caution flag came out when #18 Randy Ogden tapped the rear fender of #23 Bryan Dehn sending him spinning up to the wall also collecting #93 Don Whittington"

"#24 Cecil Gordon couldn't get slowed down enough and slammed into the rear end of #28 Buddy Baker while approaching the pace car ending Gordons day"

"#23 Bryan Dehn tried to stay off the track to let the leaders by, but slid up just a bit and #15 Bobby Allison get just enough of him to send him spinning into the pit road wall and decided to just park it"

"#44 Terry Labonte get's into the #52 of Jimmy Means and the #15 of Bobby Allison spinning both of them out late in the race"

"With less than 10 laps to go #43 Richard Petty, #11 Cale Yarborough and #25 Ronnie Thomas get together causing the last caution of the day"

"#2 Dale Earnhardt got involved with #67 Buddy Arrington later under caution and rolls down the banking ending his day"

"Rookie driver, #90 Jody Ridley takes the victory and wins his 2nd race of the season"

"Race Recap"
With Dale Earnhardt having a bad day Benny Parsons is able to move to only 20 points back in the standings. If it were not for the 40 more bonus points on the year Parsons would actually hold the lead over Earnhardt. Dave Marcis had a bad day as well, but still remains within 100 points in the standings. There was 4 cautions for 15 laps in the race and 30 different drivers lead a lap exchanging the lead 77 different times.

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
Had a terrible car in the draft. I couldn't keep up at all. Once again we couldn't figure out how to keep pace on a big track. I qualified well when alone on the track, but the car was not built good enough to keep up.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Warner H. Hogdon 400
Riverside, California
June 8th, 1980
Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
Pro

"Warner H. Hogdon 400"
June 8th, 1980

"Riverside International Raceway"
Riverside, California

Race 15 of 31 during the 1980 Season

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"Dale Earnhardt took the checkers in the spring opener and starts the summer race where he left off earning his 5th pole of the season"

"#17 Roger Hamby get's into #52 of Jimmy Means on the 1st lap spinning Means and #08 Rick McCray"

"#70 J.D. McDuffie get's into the rear fender of #78 Jim Robinson spinning him out and hard into the fence"

"#70 J.D. McDuffie decides too late to pit and slams into the wall ending his day"

"On the restart #23 Bryan Dehn and #98 Hershel McGriff get together spinning Dehn out, but the caution flag does not come out"

"#45 Roy Smith runs out of gas and stops on the front stretch bringing out the caution"

"#24 Cecil Gordon with a tore up front end finally the engine let's go under caution"

"#72 Joe Millikan looking to win his 1st career race was leading under caution and the engine let's go ending his very promising day"

"With 3 laps to go #43 Richard Petty was forced to make a pit stop for fuel with a hand full of other drivers"

"#88 Darrell W@altrip is able to come out victorious for the 1st time this year and the 23rd time in 204 starts"

"Race Recap"
Dale Earnhardt was in jeopardy of losing his points lead for only the 2nd time this season, but with a hand full of cars pitting late ion the race including #27 Benny Parsons and #71 Dave Marcis Dale was able to come home with a big points day and put a 100 buffer on 2nd place. Finally Darrell Waltrip and Cale Yarborough was able to put their bad season behind them for one week anyway with Darrell getting the victory and Cale taking home 2nd place. There was 5 cautions for 10 laps and 5 different leaders exchanging the lead 7 different times.

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
Was rough a rough start to the race not being able to get out of the back of the field, but with the restart with 8 laps to go I was able to get the best out of my car on the day and move through the field with a little help from some of the drivers that had to pit late and ended up tying my best career finish in 3rd place. I haven't lead a lap in 5 races now and still stuck on 99 laps lead and I have been wanting to get that elusive 100th lap and even though it's not a big deal maybe I can lead 1 lap at Michigan and have it be the last one...

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Gabriel 400
Brooklyn, Michigan
June 16th, 1980
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
Pro

"Gabriel 400"
June 16th, 1980

"Michigan International Speedway"
Brooklyn, Michigan

Race 16 of 31 during the 1980 Season

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"#23 Bryan Dehn catches a bit too much of the apron and uses the #28 of Buddy Baker to correct himself and keep going"

"On lap 20 the engine let's go on the #23 Citgo Chevy ending Dehn's day"

"On the same lap making his 1st pit stop of the race #45 Baxter Price looses his engine as well"

"#88 Darrell Waltrip blows engines more than anyone loosing another one on lap 43 of the race"

"#42 Kyle Petty is the next victim to loose an engine on the day"

"#44 Terry Labonte leads the field into turn 1 on a restart"

"#11 Cale Yarborough finally get's his 1st points victory of the season winning his 64 race in his 971st career start"

"Race Recap"
The race was paced by 5 drivers all leading around 20 laps with all of them finishing in the top 10. Richard Petty lead the most with 22, but still has yet to find himself in victory lane in 1980. Points leader Dale Earnhardt came home 7th, but the rest of the top 5 in points all finished well not allowing Earnhardt to add to his lead. There was 2 caution flags for 7 laps and 18 different lead changes amongst 9 different drivers.

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
Can't really say much. Was able to keep pace during the 20 laps I was out there, but our engines just haven't been able to hold up. Tried to get more out of them today, but it cost us by blowing it up early.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Firecracker 400
Daytona, Florida
July 4th, 1980
Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
Pro

"Firecracker 400"
July 4th, 1980

"Daytona International Raceway"
Daytona, Florida

Race 17 of 31 during the 1980 Season

"Qualifying"

"Race"

"#88 Darrell Waltrip leads the field to take the green flag earning his 2nd pole of the season and the 18th of his career"

"The action is intense early on going 4 wide up front with #27 Benny Parsons leading the way"

"But it don't last long as they get tangled up in front of nearly the whole field"

"Most of the field get's caught up in the wreck only 2 laps into the race taking out many of the top contenders"

"#23 Bryan Dehn didn't get the signal from #62 Rick Wilson that he was intending to pit and got into the back of him"

"Trying to stay on the leap lap #23 Bryan Dehn tries to block the leader #12 Donnie Allison, but ends up worse off then he was"

"#89 Jim Vandiver get's spun out by #75 John Anderson which got spun out by #23 Bryan Dehn which caught #22 Ricky Rudd & #2 Dale Earnhardt involved"

"A 3 wide battle on the last lap between #28 Buddy Baker, #90 Jody Ridley and #1 David Pearson"

"#28 Buddy Baker fights off the other 2 to get his 1st victory of the season and his 17th of his career in his 515th career start"

"Race Recap"
Two veterans ruled the race in David Pearson and Buddy Baker as they traded the lead back and forth leading a combined 27 of the 80 laps and holding off a charge from rookie Jody Ridley. There was only 2 cautions on the day for 7 laps and 50 lead changes among 15 different drivers.

"Video Recap"

"#23 Bryan Dehn's Day"
Well, I got lucky and found a little hole to get through the big wreck at the beginning of the race, but a spin out put me at the end of the lead lap and my inability to stay calm caused me to get into much more trouble through out the rest of the race costing me more than if I had just accepted that it wasn't my day and not tried to force my way back into contention.

"Race Results"

"Point Standings"

"Next Race"
Busch Nashville 420
Nashville, Tennessee
July 12th, 1980
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #24
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

One small little error like the one you made is so costly but that's racing. You barely touched the other car. It must be hard to stay focused for an entire 80 lap race. Kudos to you for trying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »