Home

Road to the World Cup 2010

This is a discussion on Road to the World Cup 2010 within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #25
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Road to the World Cup 2010

The Hex
September 5, 2009
Paramariba

Suriname 0-1 USA

24' M. Bradley (L. Donovan) - USA

The United States has officially booked it's ticket to South Africa 2010!

With Many Games to Spare, USA Qualifies

Suriname showed plenty of fight and attacking presence at home tonight. They looked to keep their World Cup hopes alive by gaining on Costa Rica and Canada, fully knowing that a win by both would eliminate Suriname from qualifications. In the end a solitary goal by Michael Bradley in the 24th minute from a Landon Donovan corner kick proved to be enough to send the United States faithful into a frenzy, knowing qualification to South Africa 2010 was just a matter of 66 minutes away. That was all they needed and the game ended 1-0 in favor of Team USA as they indeed did qualify for the World Cup. As for Suriname, their World Cup hopes hang by a thread thanks to some help from Mexico who knocked off Canada. Nobody wants that fourth spot and a play-off with the fifth place finisher in the CONMEBOL, so expect a battle between Costa Rica and Canada as the two teams still have a head-to-head in Canada.

Around the Hex

Suriname 0-1 United States
Mexico 2-0 Canada
Guatemala 1-3 Costa Rica

CONCACAF Hex Standings
TEAMWDLGDPTS
X United States700+1721
Mexico502+515
Costa Rica322+211
Canada223-18
Guatemala115-124
Suriname016-111
X Qualified for 2010 World Cup in South Africa

Last edited by pfeifere1; 07-03-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #26
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

The Hex
September 9, 2009
Washington D.C.

USA 3-0 Guatemala

45' S. Holden (S. Kljestan) - USA
47' K. Cooper (S. Holden) - USA
77' B. Ching- USA

The oft-injured Stuart Holden leads the US past Guatemala.

USA Scores Trio of Great Goals

It may not have been the most important game the Stars and Stripes have played during this World Cup qualifying campaign, but the goals were some of the best. On either side of halftime Stuart Holden and Kenny Cooper found the back of the net with precision shots to the top corner of the goal to make it 2-0. As this game was going on, Guatemala was scoreboard watching, seeing their World Cup hopes fade away. A Canada win against Suriname would eliminate them from contention. Canada did that, plus some as they worked up their goal differential. With each goal registered for Canada, the Guatemalans became more and more chippy. Coach Klinsmann was quoted after the game saying, "I get their frustration, but at some point you have to get over it and root for your Confederation at the World Cup. Hurting our players hurts the CONCACAF as a whole." Luckily the regulars were resting with qualification all wrapped up for the Americans. In the end, Maurice Edu slammed a volley off the crossbar that was headed home off the rebound by Brian Ching, who registered his first goal in his first qualifier of this campaign.

Around the Hex

United States 3-0 Guatemala
Costa Rica 0-2 Mexico
Canada 6-0 Suriname

CONCACAF Hex Standings
TEAMWDLGDPTS
X United States800+2024
X Mexico602+718
Canada323+511
Costa Rica323011
Guatemala116-154
Suriname017-171
X Qualified for 2010 World Cup in South Africa

Last edited by pfeifere1; 07-03-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Can we see your formation and Starting XI at some point? You've got decent depth in the squad, and I want to see if you've considered starting pace-monster CB Marvell Wynne! haha he's a beast in FIFA.

Pretty easy Hexagon with Canada and Suriname, never thought you'd have much trouble making Top 4, but qualifying in this kind of form means you'll definitely be a Pot 3 or higher team in the World Cup Finals draw!

Excellent form, and by and large excellent results to go with that!

Following as always!

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

2009 FIFA Confederations Cup
Group A

South Africa 1-0 Iraq

60' S. Zuma (S. Pienaar) - RSA

New Zealand 1-2 Spain

29' F. Torres (D. Villa) - ESP
42' S. Elliot (B. Sigmund) - NZL
55' F. Torres (D. Villa) - ESP

Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #29
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

2009 FIFA Confederations Cup
Group B

USA 1-1 Italy

15' L. Donovan (C. Dempsey) - USA
30' M. Camoranesi (V. Iaquinta) - ITA

Tim Howard records 7 saves on his way to a MOTM performance.

USA Holds Off Dangerous Italians

Team USA is in good shape heading into their second group game against Brazil after their 1-1 draw with Italy in their first game of the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup. The opening 20 minutes was dominated by the USA who was rewarded of their efforts by a Landon Donovan headed goal from Clint Dempsey's cross. The next 70 minutes would be all Italy. Italy answered quickly with a 30th minute goal of their own. Iaquinta stole the ball in the Americans' box and sent a ball across to Camoranesi who's unchallenged header easily beat a scrambling Tim Howard. From here on it was Tim Howard's job to keep the one point for Team USA. Up next is a match-up with Brazil who drew with Egypt 1-1 this afternoon, leaving it wide open for anyone to advance from Group B.

Brazil 1-1 Egypt

45' L. Fabiano (A. Santos) - BRA
72' A. Zaki - EGY

Last edited by pfeifere1; 07-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #30
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Dominant performance in the hex, way to go. Hopefully you can keep the momentum going as you steam towards South Africa
Old 07-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada_Carlos_Ball
Can we see your formation and Starting XI at some point? You've got decent depth in the squad, and I want to see if you've considered starting pace-monster CB Marvell Wynne! haha he's a beast in FIFA.

Pretty easy Hexagon with Canada and Suriname, never thought you'd have much trouble making Top 4, but qualifying in this kind of form means you'll definitely be a Pot 3 or higher team in the World Cup Finals draw!

Excellent form, and by and large excellent results to go with that!

Following as always!

Thanks for following and posting!

Here is my current squad:

4-2-3-1

Tim Howard

Cherundolo--Onyewu--Bocanegra--Hejduk

Clark----Bradley

Donovan---Dempsey---Rogers

Altidore

Onyewu and Bocanegra have INSANE form right now (96,92 respectively) so there is no way I'm going to be replacing them!

Hejduk and Rogers are playing incredibly well along that left side (Rogers is also in ridiculously good form)

I've been giving a lot of time to Eddie Johnson(Donovan), Damarcus Beasley(Cherundolo) and Stuart Holden(Rogers)...all have been instrumental....now with Davies also hitting the back of the net, I know I have two key forwards I can go to as well.

So I threw in the Confed. Cup just for fun...the game obviously doesn't have it, but I'm creating it myself. Only downfall is my players' form isn't where I'm at in my qualifying. Oh well...once the world cup finals begin the form goes back to 75 anyway.

ENJOY!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #32
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Dominant performance in the hex, way to go. Hopefully you can keep the momentum going as you steam towards South Africa

Thanks Orion!!! Throwing the Confed Cup in there now as well for some more games and anticipation for the World Cup!

Enjoy!!

Thanks for following and posting!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »