Home

Re-Establishing Portuguese Power - EURO 2012

This is a discussion on Re-Establishing Portuguese Power - EURO 2012 within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Estonia 0, Portugal 0

October 12th, 2010
LeCoq Arena, Tallinn
Attendance - 4375
Referee - Anders Lindblom (Sweden)

PORTUGAL (4-1-3-2)
Eduardo*
Coentrao - Rolando* - Alves - Pereira*
Veloso
Meireles* - Fernandes* - Viana*
Cristiano Ronaldo - Paulo Machado*
Bench:
GK - Patricio
ST - Helder Postiga
CB - Pepe
RB - Miguel Lopes
LW - Nani
CM - Ruben Amorim
CM - Joao Moutinho

Oct 12, 2010 - Portugal vs Estonia
TEAM12SCORE
Portugal (2-2-0)000
Estonia (0-1-2)000
Team Stats Comparison
Portugal
Estonia
0Goals0
8Shots2
4Shots on Target1
11Tackles2
1Fouls0
0Yellow Cards1
0Red Cards0
0Injuries0
50Shot Accuracy50
80Passing Percentage87

Portuguese Shocked in Tallinn
Inexperienced squad can't break Estonian defensive shell

There were many people around the footballing world who were surprised when manager Carlos Verde handed in Portugal's Starting XI team sheet. No Nani, no Varela. Starting an unproven Paulo Machado. In what was supposed to be a statement/bounceback match after drawing Denmark, the Portuguese failed to take three points from the weakest team in Group G.

"An absolute disaster. We're going to need to be much better," admitted Portuguese midfielder Miguel Veloso post-match.

The Portuguese had their chances but could never really break through the Estonian back four, only landing four shots on target, and of those four only one which really semi-troubled the Estonian keeper.

The Portuguese dominated the first half but failed to score, something that has plagued them a bit in the first half of this qualifying round.

As the game advanced Verde made changes to try and spark his offense; he brought on striker Helder Postiga (who was invisible in his 25 minutes on the pitch), Nani in hope of sparking Ronaldo (Nani touched the ball twice in fifteen minutes), and Ruben Amorim on for Alves in an attempt to clog the midfield. None of the changes worked, and if anything the Estonians got stronger.

Towards the end of the match, Portuguese keeper Eduardo, making his first start of this qualifying campaign, came up with two huge stops on Johannes Lintrop to preserve a measly point for the Portuguese.

This opens the door wide for Denmark, who host Finland next week in a Scandinavian derby. One which they're almost guaranteed to take three points from.

For Portugal, this could be a result they look back upon and lament if they miss out on EURO 2012.

----------------------------------

Post-Game:

CV : I want to get out of here as quick as possible. Three questions. Go.

Rep.: Senhor Verde, this is the first time Portugal has ever dropped points against Estonia. In 16 matches. What do you have to say for yourself and the team?

CV : We came in today, decisions were made, tactics were set, and they clearly weren't the correct decisions and tactics. For that I am solely responsible. However, it must also be said that our players on the pitch today were better than theirs, and with a little more luck and offensive creativity we would have won running away.

Rep.: Jake Lockett, ESPNFC.com, there are rumors swirling around that you've been linked to the Montreal Impact of the MLS? Have they approached you about a managerial position?

CV : Mr. Lockett, my sole focus is on the Portuguese national team's quest for Poland/Ukraine. I have not been informed of any interest from the other side of the Atlantic.

Rep.: Halfway through qualifying and you haven't solidified the spot atop the group you were expected to have by this point. Going forward, what have you learned from each match?

CV : Well this group has proved to be trickier than most anticipated, hasn't it? From the opening game against the Welsh I realized they are a quality side who could definitely finagle their way into EURO 2012. We'll have to be very careful in Cardiff when we visit. The Finland game was nothing but positives for me, I found a tactic and Starting XI I liked, however some outside pressure forced me to put certain troublemakers back in the Starting XI. The Denmark game showed me that we need to work on our concentration and playing a full ninety minutes. And finally, today's debacle taught me not to rest players in international matches. Thanks lads. See you next June.

---------------------------------------------------------

Group G Table:

EURO Qualifying - Group F
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Portugal42208
Denmark42208
Wales41215
Finland40222
Estonia40222

As you can see, the absurd amount of draws has really thrown the group table for a loop. However, our next match in Denmark will be the key to winning the group and going straight to Poland/Ukraine for EURO 2012.

Halfway Review

- Overall, I feel as though I've done an adequate job. This group is proving harder than it first appeared! I had no idea Wales was a four-star team, and Finland and Estonia are no pushovers either at 3- and 3.5-stars apiece. No Faroe Islands/San Marino's to be had in this group!
- I'm happy with all of my results minus the Estonia match.
- Cristiano Ronaldo, other than the Wales game, simply hasn't created anything. He's been virtually non-existent. I may have to sit him down for another little chat...
- I think I'm going to run with Eduardo in goal. Patricio wasn't bad against Denmark, but Eduardo was very stellar against Estonia. I think I'll give Eduardo the nod in the big match in Copenhagen against the Danes...
- Nani looks like our most consistent offensive weapon.

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Rookie

Performance Review - 50% Through Qualifying

Lisbon
May 17th, 2011

Fernando Gomes: Senhor Verde, the last two matches have been abysmal. Just awful. The federation's head committee and I have decided to hand you an ultimatum- you must gain ten of the remaining twelve points available if you want to stay on as Portugal manager.

CV : I don't follow...what if I qualify while getting less than 10 out of 12 points from our final four matches?

FG: You heard me. You get ten out of twelve points otherwise you gone at the end of qualifying. Regardless of whether we find ourselves in the EURO 2012 draw or not.

CV : Sir, all due respect but I think you're being a tad unreasonable here. When I signed on the federation's stated goal was to reach the European Championship. Now you're saying that even if we reach the EURO, if I don't get at least ten points from the final four matches....I'm fired?

FG: Exactly. Dismissed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I aimlessly drive about the streets of Lisbon. It's been almost eight months since I re-located here, and I love everything about it. The food, the people, the cobblestone streets which still line much of the city, and above all, our gem of a stadium, Estadio Da Luz.

Feeling very nervous, almost to the point of nauseousness, about the ultimatum the Federation has handed me, I take a drive down to the stadium, to try and calm my thoughts.

The last qualifying rounds in October had been awful. Two points from two games, including one against lowly Estonia. The papers had been all over me. ABOLA called it the lowest point in the history of Portuguese football.

I had a twenty-minute yelling match with Cristiano Ronaldo and Pepe after that match in Tallinn, right there in the changing room for all to see. I told Cristiano that he was indefinitely suspended from national team duty, and I told Pepe he better shape up and start playing with his heart not his head.

I arrive at the stadium, my mind swirling with thoughts of tactics, the insults in the papers, and my ex-wife. I need an escape.

And I've found it. Sitting alone in this massive football ground, I'm at peace. I imagine the roar of the crowd in a few months' time when Estonia will come for here for the re-match. That could be a statement game if we play to our potential.

This is a proud footballing nation. We sit primed and ready for a push to EURO 2012. No more resting players. No more tactics changes. No more draws with Estonia. This is our journey, as a team, as a unit, as a family and as a country. Together we will rise. And by god, when Estonia come to this stadium, we will send them packing and inflict their worst defeat in history.

Forca, Portugal.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Rookie

Denmark - Portugal

June 4th, 2011
Parken Stadium, Copenhagen
Attendance - 41560
Referee - Howard Webb (England)

PORTUGAL (4-3-3)
Coentrao - Pepe - Alves - Pereira
Veloso
Moutiinho - Danny*
Varela* - Nani* - Quaresma*
Bench:
Hugo Almeida - ST
Beto - GK
Patricio - GK
Nelson Oliveira - ST
Hugo Viana - CM
Rolando - CB
Yannick Djalo - LW

Jun 11, 2011 - Portugal vs Denmark
TEAM12SCORE
Portugal (2-3-0)112
Denmark (2-3-0)022
Team Stats Comparison
PortugalDenmark
2Goals2
5Shots4
3Shots on Target2
8Tackles10
1Fouls1
0Yellow Cards0
0Red Cards0
0Injuries0
60Shot Accuracy50
85Passing Percentage89

Danes, Portuguese Draw Again
Tight match, fair result

These two teams really are the toast of Group G. Tonight in Copenhagen they came together for one of the most memorable matches of qualifying thus far.

Nani got the visitors on the board first in the 7th minute, when his long-range strike went bar-down off the crossbar and in to give the Portuguese a shock 1-nil lead.

The Portuguese continued to press for the duration of the first half, but the Danish defense held strong and didn't give up any good scoring chances.

On the stroke of half, it was 1-nil to the visitors and deservedly so as they'd simply outplayed the hosts.

Just one change at halftime, as Portuguese manager Carlos Verde opted to bring on tall, awkward striker Hugo Almeida for Quaresma, who hadn't done much of anything in the first half.

Simon Kjaer leveled the Danes in the 57th minute. Off a corner, a poor clearance from Miguel Veloso allowed Kjaer to take down a high ball in the Portuguese area, and calmly beat an out-of-position Eduardo to draw the hosts level.

The goals came fast and furious after that, as substitute Hugo Almeida put the Portuguese back in the driver's seat in the 68th minute, latching onto a cross from Varela. Almeida headed the ball home with purpose, and it was 2-1 to the seleccao.

However, Tony Mikkelsen drew the Danes back level just five minutes after that, as he collected Nicklas Bendtner's rebound and dispatched it easily into the wide-open Portuguese goal to make it 2-2.

The match would finish 2-2 in an almost carbon-copy of the match at Estadio Da Luz in Lisbon back in October.

A draw isn't great for either team, as Wales defeated Estonia at home and moved to within one point of both Portugal and Denmark, clogging things at the top of the table.

Next up for Denmark is a must-win trip to Estonia, while Portugal face a similar situation as they host fourth-place Finland.

-----------------------------------------------

Post-Game:

Both managers declined comment and skipped the standard post-match press conference. As a result, both the Portugal and Denmark FAs will most likely receive small fines from UEFA.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Rookie

Pressure is on...

September 1st, 2011
Estadio Dragao, Porto
Pitchside

A life in football is the only one I've ever known.

I can't come to grips with the fact that, despite sitting in a tie for first-place in our qualifying group, my time as Portuguese manager is over with just one slip-up in our final three matches. The pressure is real, and it's getting to me.

I've never experienced pressure like this before. Not at Blackburn, where we were perennial over-achievers. Definitely not as a player in the USL twelve years ago in North America. Certainly not at San Marino.

I don't know where to turn. I stand here, at the edge of the player tunnel, looking at the pitch. The perfectly manicured grass. The Grade A stadium. The 50-odd thousand blue seats staring back at me.

This is the first time I've been nervous for a football match. I think the lads are too, to an extent. I mean they can't be fired because of the result against Finland tomorrow. But nonetheless, I think they realize how much is at stake. A slip-up against Finland tomorrow on this pitch means a new manager, and probably a 2nd-place play-off battle just to get to the EURO. That's a lot of pressure.

The result in Denmark in June wasn't terrible. But it wasn't great either. We had chances. They had chances. It was a little too wide-open for my liking. Hopefully we tighten up against Finland defensively and beat them comfortably, by two or three.

I think the fans and players believe. I still believe. This to me, despite all of the trials and tribulations we've faced in five matches, feels like the beginning of a special journey to Kyiv.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Rookie

Portugal - Finland

September 2nd, 2011
Estadio do Dragao, Porto
Attendance - 50399
Referee - Shean O'Driscoll (Republic Ireland)

PORTUGAL (4-3-3)
Eduardo
Coentrao - Pepe - Alves - Eliseu*
Veloso
Moutinho - Danny
Varela - Nani - Djalo*

Bench:
GK - Patricio
CB - Rolando
RB - Miguel Lopes
CM - Hugo Viana
ST - Hugo Almeida
CM - Raul Meireles
GK - Beto

Sep 2, 2011 - Finland vs Portugal
TEAM12SCORE
Finland (0-2-4)000
Portugal (3-3-0)011
Team Stats Comparison
FinlandPortugal
0Goals1
2Shots12
1Shots on Target8
11Tackles9
1Fouls2
1Yellow Cards1
0Red Cards0
0Injuries0
50Shot Accuracy66
71Passing Percentage82

Danny Saves The Day!
Portugal seconds away from embarrassing draw

It wasn't pretty, but they got the job done (barely). Portugal, who came into this match tied with Denmark for first place and with Wales breathing down their necks, pulled out the three points at the death.

It started innocently enough for the hosts, who peppered 7 shots at Maenpaa's goal in the first half. They had two posts, two parries, and three shots go wide. So the Finns made it to halftime still level, 0-0.

The 2nd half saw the Finns, probably realizing they needed three points to even think of advancing out of the group, attack and play more aggressively. It seemed to take the Portuguese by surprise, as the Finns generated two glorious opportunities.

In the 51st minute, Tim Sparv smashed a shot from all of three yards out over the Portuguese goal.

In the 63rd, the Finns countered quickly and it was Roman Eremenko's turn to miss a golden opportunity. The Russian-born attacking midfielder chipped the ball over a charging Eduardo, but the chipped shot hit the top of the crossbar and stayed out.

With Portugal making desperate changes in the 73rd minute and changing to a 4-2-4 ultra attacking formation, the flow of the game went back their way.

They had six corners in the final fifteen minutes, and four shots directed at the net, but they couldn't beat Maenpaa.

Finally, in extra time, a poor clearance by Tim Sparv resulted in Danny receiving the ball just outside the 18-yard box. Swamped with defenders, the Portugal midfielder somehow worked his way out of a threesome of Finnish defenders, spun around 270 degrees, and let one go. It glided into the top corner almost in slow motion, bringing the capacity crowd in Porto to its feet!

A well-deserved three points for Portugal, who remain tied atop the group with Denmark, who visited Estonia and won 7-1.

Next up for Portugal is their final home match of qualifying at the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon, while Finland will visit Wales.

------------------------------------------------------------
Post-game:

CV : First off, credit to the lads, they played their hearts out and I don't think anyone can truly make an argument we didn't deserve to take three points today. Fantastic result, though we left it a little late, haha. Questions?

Rep.: Senhor Verde, while you do sit tied atop the group, your results haven't been very satisfactory score-wise. Why can you only muster one goal in added time against a weakling like Finland? A nil-nil draw with ESTONIA?!?

CV : To me, the scores don't matter as long as we take the points. If we run the table in our final three games, I'm fairly confident we will win the group.

Rep.: Jake Lockett, ESPNFC. Any truth to the rumor that Ronaldo has retired or been suspended from, the national team?

CV : Yes. Cristiano Ronaldo is suspended indefinitely from the national team. He's been so since mid-October of last year.

Rep.: Thoughts of revenge ahead of the Estonia match?

CV : I'd be lying if I said we didn't have thoughts along those lines. We will take three points. I guarantee it. It will be much the same as a 'Fan Appreciation Day.' We will give the fans a treat. We hope to fill the Estadio da Luz for our final qualifier. See you gentlemen in a few days' time.

Rep.: You seem to really like Nani. Why?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Rookie

Performance Review - 75% of Qualifying

EURO Qualifying - Group G
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Denmark633012
Portugal633012
Wales62319
Estonia60333
Finland60242

The board has informed that they still expect six points from the final two matches. I think it's do-able. It'll have to start with a dominating victory against Estonia. That way, morale and form will be up for the trip to Cardiff.

Looking at the table, things are very interesting:

- Due to their 7-1 thrashing of Estonia, Denmark have all but clinched first place. We can only finish 1st if they drop points, which is unlikely as they have v. Wales and @ Finland left on their fixture list.

- Depending how the Denmark v. Wales match goes the day we host Estonia, that final match at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff could turn out to have massive standings implications.

- Finland have been out of form almost all of qualifying, and I would expect their manager to be sacked if they finish last. We may be sacked even if they finish fourth.

- Around the other groups (I'll have a full run-down of them at the end of qualifying), it appears as though the usual suspects have already qualified:

Spain
Italy
Germany
Netherlands
England

- However, it appears as though France will miss Poland/Ukraine altogether! They sit fourth in their group (B), FIVE points behind 2nd-place Montenegro! WOW!

-------------------------------------------

As for me, the pressure is still on. We need six points from our last two matches to qualify probably, and regardless, I need six points to retain my job!

-------------------------------------------

I will plan to send a message to Wales. I'm going to start my most attacking formation yet. I want to bury Estonia under mounds of seleccao goals. After a long sit-down, I've decided to re-instate Cristiano Ronaldo from his suspension. He'll be playing up front alongside Nani, Varela, and Yannick Djalo. That's right. I named four strikers. Get ready, Estonia...

Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Rookie

Portugal v. Estonia

September 6th, 2011
Estadio da Luz, Lisbon
Attendance - 65647 (Sell-Out)
Referee - Matthias Niederreiter (Switzerland)

PORTUGAL (4-3-3)
Patricio
Coentrao - Pepe - Alves - Eliseu
Moutinho - Danny - Veloso
Nani - Cristiano Ronaldo - Yannick Djalo
Bench:
Beto GK
Amorim CM
Viana CM
Varela LW
Almeida ST
Eduardo GK
Miguel Lopes RB

Sep 6, 2011 - Estonia vs Portugal
TEAM12SCORE
Estonia (0-3-4)000
Portugal (4-3-0)426
Team Stats Comparison
EstoniaPortugal
0Goals6
2Shots18
0Shots on Target10
9Tackles19
7Fouls2
1Yellow Cards0
0Red Cards0
0Injuries0
0Shot Accuracy54
72Passing Percentage83

Portuguese Explode in Front of Sold-Out Stadium
Offensive boom led by returning Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo had some time to think during his lengthy suspension from international football. And after just one game back in the Portuguese Starting XI, I think he'd agree with Carlos Verde's proposition- he may just be an even better striker than winger.

With Ronaldo starting up front, the Portuguese created chances all game. Ronaldo himself netted a pair and set up two more en route to a 6-0 rout of the visiting Estonians.

The Portuguese got off to a quick start, forcing the Estonian keeper Perenko to make a few diving parries in the opening minutes of the match.

The seleccao continued to push and in the tenth minute, Joao Moutinho slotted home Cristiano Ronaldo's hard rebound to put the hosts ahead 1-nil.

Just four minutes later, it was Ronaldo's turn to shine, taking down a high ball and beating Perenko only for the goal to be called back because he was offside.

However just three minutes after that, in the 17th minute, Nani legally doubled the Portuguese lead with an absolute rocket from distance, which Perenko may or may not have seen as he was screened.

In the 27th minute, Cristiano Ronaldo latched onto a Veloso long ball, beat two Estonian defenders, and ripped a hard shot seemingly through Perenko to put the hosts up three-nil, essentially putting the match to bed.

As if that wasn't enough, Danny, the hero of the Finland match four days ago, got in on the action just six minutes later when he finessed a beautiful curled effort around two Estonian defenders and in off the post.

The Portuguese went to break with a dominant four-nil lead, and came out with three changes and a more defensive formation to begin the second half, content to take the comfortable victory.

However, almost inevitably, the Portuguese simply overwhelmed the Estonian midfield and found themselves in on goal yet again in the 47th minute. Ronaldo found his second goal of the match when he chipped a loose ball over a helpless Perenko to make it 5-0.

The Portuguese contented themselves with a passing and possession style for the remained of the match, though Miguel Veloso scored a fantastic free kick in the 89th to cap off what ended up being quite the celebratory night in Lisbon!

In the other group game, a huge result saw Wales draw 0-0 with Denmark, a result that sees Portugal virtually clinch a spot in at least the 2nd-place play-off!

It also sets up a showdown for first place, as Portugal travel to Cardiff to take on the Welsh Dragons in just over a month's time to face third-place Wales. With a victory, the Welsh could see themselves hop right into 1st place in the group, depending on how Denmark's match with Finland ends up! Seems as though it will be an exciting finish yet in Group G!

--------------------------------------------------

I breathe a huge sigh of my relief by myself in the tunnel. The players and staff are all in the room, waiting for my congratulatory speech. But I need to compose myself first.

It was such an emotional night, such an emphatic and emotional victory. I find myself with tears unabashedly leaking from my eyes, as shivers go up and down my spine. 60 000+, chanting mine and the players' names after the final whistle. I never experienced anything like that at Blackburn. Wow.

I should be getting to the room, I've stopped crying. What a beautiful game this sport can produce. I can't wait for Wales in a month. I have a feeling the pleasure will be all ours.
--------------------------------------------

Post-Game Presser:

CV : Hello everyone, thanks for coming. I'm in an especially good mood tonight, so don't any of you try to ruin it! Questions...red!

Rep.: Senhor Verde, Marcelo Gamais, RTP Sport, why do you continue with Eliseu? He's not even a Right Back!

CV : Eliseu is helping us out at right back right now, and I believe he's done a more-than-adequate job there. My team, my decisions. Right now we're first place in the group, so I must be doing something right!

Rep.: Stuart Andrews, you must remember me from San Marino. Any truth to the rumor your position may be in jeopardy if you fail to win your final match? I've heard that even if you qualify the Portuguese Federation may let you go?

CV : How could I forget you Mr. Andrews, the one English reporter who traipsed down to Serravalle just to point and ridicule me. I've heard my side has more points than the English national team did after seven games. Why don't you go home and cover your own team? Sounds like there's a lot more inner problems there then with the seleccao here. Maybe if Terry could stop running around with his teammates...nevermind. Regardless, Mr. Andrews I assure you my position with the FPF has never been stronger.

Rep.: Back to the football on the pitch, what was so different for your side today than in Tallinn that embarrassing night?

CV : Tonight we attacked from the opening whistle. We also had our full-strength starting XI. We've been very lucky and avoided injuries through this entire qualifying campaign, knock on wood that continues with European domestic leagues in full swing now.

Rep.: Huge match in Cardiff next month, how do you plan to shut down Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsay? They've been virtually unstoppable in qualifying thus far!

CV : I don't mean to sound cocky, but our defensive systems are top-notch now. Not to mention, we shut down Bale, Ramsay and the rest of Wales in our first qualifying match. This squad's morale and form are sky-high at the moment, and I don't think Wales will pose us much of a problem.

Rep.: Isn't that a wee-bit cocky of you? Considering they're only three points behind you and just as hungry as you for the three points?

CV : When I first took this post I said this team had the makings of something special. Wales is not the type of team that gets in the way of something special. I may be cocky, I may have my vices. But this squad and I, there is a connection. A connection which very few teams experience. A connection which very few teams can beat. Goodnight gentlemen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

EURO Qualifying - Group G
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Portugal743015
Denmark734013
Wales733112
Estonia70343
Finland80353

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
Rookie

Millenium Stadium, October 10th

Millenium Stadium,
Cardiff, Wales
Day before final match of Qualifying
Pitchside

I sit alone, collecting my thoughts. Was this the right move, coming to Portugal? I think so. It feels right. The players are in general a good group, fairly attentive. My family and I are treated like royalty around Lisbon. But I can't help but think about how I'm the only one in Cardiff who knows that, if we drop points tomorrow, regardless of whether or not we qualify for EURO 2012, I'll be released by the Portuguese Federation.
The stress is getting to me...

Gary Speed (of Leeds, Newcastle Fame, RIP): Quite imposing isn't it?

CV : G....G...Gary Speed. (Stays cool) Gary, what can I do for you?

GS: Nothing, I just wanted to stop by and see how you're doing. I got wind through a few Portuguese contacts that your job security is up in the air regardless of whether or not you qualify. That's just ****e. Nothing you can do though mate, chin up and charge the mountain.

CV : Yeah, I guess. So, any particular reason you're talking to me the day before the biggest match in Welsh soccer history?

GS: I just wanted to say that I really admire how you've resurrected your career. Not a lot of managers and players would be willing to go into a jungle like San Marino to try and get back to where they were. You were exiled from the game you loved, and you fought so hard to get it back...I just, wanted to say that your story's very inspirational.

CV : Well thank you. You had quite a storied career yourself, I always admired you during your career, both as a player and now as a manager. Your Welsh team quite honestly surprised me back at the beginning of qualifying. I thought you guys would be pushovers, but you almost drew us at home. That was nerve-wracking haha.

GS: We should've won that game mate, we had chances and you know it! Anyways I better be getting over to the training ground, final pep talk to the lads about the importance of shutting down the midfield! Best of luck to you, and we'll talk after the match tomorrow.

CV : Absolutely, pleasure talking to you. Know that if I had my way, it'd be the two of us, Portugal and Wales, advancing. Two best looking managers in all of Europe! Cheers!

-----------------------------

It's bizarre, but speaking to the opposing manager in his own stadium somehow calmed me.

In a way, it removed me from the task at hand, removed my nerves, and made me realize that there's more to this game than expectation. Whatever happens tomorrow, this has been one heck of a journey and I've met and managed some great people and footballers along the way.

Forca Portugal!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »