Home

An American's Journey (FIFA 13)

This is a discussion on An American's Journey (FIFA 13) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

OVR: 4
An American's Journey (FIFA 13)

I chose to start a Manager career with Sporting KC from MLS. I don't have any rationale behind it other than I wanted to start with an MLS team that wasn't Seattle or LA. I liked the kits for Sporting KC, they had a nice initial transfer budget, and some good talent already on their roster, so the rest, as they say, was history. I will go deeper in the stats for my time there later, now I wanted to post an article I saw in this mornings paper. This morning being my first in Sweden, this was read about 15 minutes before I was to leave my hotel for my first practice with my new squad...

For those of you not fluent in Swedish, here is the translation of the article that questioned my hiring as manager, I'm not fluent in Swedish at all, barely in English, I used Google Translate:

"The board of IFK Goteborg has made a very interesting decision regarding its new manager for the upcoming Allsvenskan campaign.
They have tabbed for Sporting KC manager Bobby Nance to lead The Angels this season, and perhaps many more.
Nance's Sporting KC squad managed to win the MLS Cup last season, but he struggled to attract top tier talent, although he did manage to acquire some promising youg talent.
"It was time for me to move on," said a visible upset Nance as he was cleaning out his office at Sporting Park.
"It's every football manager's dream to manage in Europe, I was presented with an opportunity and I couldn't pass it up."

This writer is skeptical about the results this new hire will bring, only time will tell."
"A two count is routine. You kick out at two if you aren’t done. Kicking out at one is a MESSAGE. It says NO in capital letters. A middle finger. A promise that the other man is going to have to kill you if they’re going to put you down." ~ Brandon Stroud
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

Re: An American's Journey (FIFA 13)

As I stated above, I wanted an MLS team for several reasons. One I'm American and while it's not elite I love US soccer, two because I wanted to learn the ropes as far as in game strategy and how to handle the transfer windows. Until I compete in the domestic cups, I run those independent of the universe. I know that doesn't include the transfers, but I'm more interested in the team results than the individual players. I also run the Brazilian, Saudi Arabian, Mexican, Australian, and Korean leagues separately. It's not perfect, but it gets me the results I need and that I can add into my Excel spreadsheets. The only players that I keep track of are the ones on my team. Enough chit-chat.

Started at Sporting KC in the spring of 2012. I had a nice transfer budget to start out with, which is a big reason why I chose the team. I started out 1-1-4 and was about to give up on the whole thing, I'm glad I didn't. I finished my first season in KC at 13-10-11, which isn't earth-shattering, but it was good enough for 3rd in the East. I got bounced from the US Open Cup by Colorado Rapids and was ousted from the MLS playoffs by the #2 seed Houston Dynamo.

Second season was much better, won the MLS Cup after finishing 16-8-10, #2 in the East. I dispatched New York and Columbus in the Eastern Conference playoffs and then handed Seattle only their second defeat of the season in the MLS final. Incidentally, their other loss was to me as well.

I had made some moves during my tenure there, I brought in Bustos and Kleber and sold some forwards, but it was after my second season there that my team lost its identity. That was entirely my fault. I was making stupid decisions when it came to transfers and ended up with a bunch of players that didn't fit my style of play. It was during this time that I applied for almost every job that I could find. All to no avail, it was recommended to me that I wait patiently until a club 'offers' me a job, and alas IFK Goteborg came calling one game into my 3rd season at Sporting. I packed up and left for the west coast of Sweden. There was only 8 games left in the Allsvenskan when I got there so that was enough time for me to determine who I needed to keep and what holes I needed to fill. Over those last 8 games IFK went 3-1-4, goals were hard to come by and one of those losses was to IF Elfsborg in the Swedish Cup semis.

My first transfer window in Sweden was difficult. I fell into the trap of desperately trying to get my former players onto my new squad. I only had $1.5mm in transfer budget so it was going to be tight. I got (overpaid) Soony Saad (67, ST, LW, RW) and Oriol Rossell (67, CDM, CM) from Sporting KC and that was about it.

Once the new season starts I will keep everyone posted, thanks!
"A two count is routine. You kick out at two if you aren’t done. Kicking out at one is a MESSAGE. It says NO in capital letters. A middle finger. A promise that the other man is going to have to kill you if they’re going to put you down." ~ Brandon Stroud
Old 01-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

I think Soony Saad is a great signing. We are excited here in KC for his potential. He had a good season this championship season as well. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I think Soony Saad is a great signing. We are excited here in KC for his potential. He had a good season this championship season as well. Good luck!
That's good to hear! I sold Bieler and Kamara last transfer window while I was still at KC, that gave Saad a chance to play more, he didn't disappoint. I like him in the game because he can play all 3 forward positions and he's pretty quick. He's also young and that's great. I bought him for $600k, which is pretty cheap, he's now in my first 11 at IFK.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

Here is the roster from the end of last season and the changes made throughout the Transfer Window. Hjalmar Jonssen decided to retire instead of re-upping with us. My scouts have been out in Germany and Mexico and as of now they have not found anyone worth me signing. I typically only sign players with potential of 85+.

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »