Home

Lane United: Red Aces (FM 2014)

This is a discussion on Lane United: Red Aces (FM 2014) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Lane United: Red Aces (FM 2014)

After moving to Eugene, I started to pick up rumblings of soccer fandom in the Pacific Northwest. I tried to find as much information and video of Portland Timbers games, and I started to get fired up about it. Eugene had the Swoops, but they were an indoor soccer team. When I heard there might be a team forming in my town, I was excited. I canvassed the town stirring up support and watched soccer down at some local pubs to get up with the tactics. One of my buddies in town knew the guy starting the team, Nathan Watson. He got me and Nathan in the same room, where we talked about soccer for about 2 hours. I enjoyed the time I got with him, and went back to my merry way.

When Lane United was officially announced as the team’s name, I got excited all over again. Thanks to a lot of peoples’ hard work, we had a team to call our own. We wouldn’t play in a big league, but we had a team. Suddenly I got a call from Nathan, asking me to be the head coach. I initially turned him down, because while I love watching soccer, I couldn’t manage it! The next time he called, the offer was too good to pass up, and I became the first manager of Lane United.

The next day, the entire soccer US was turned upside down, and the new soccer pyramid took shape. None of the old teams from MLS or even NASL were in it, but there were my Reds, in the US Soccer Northwest Premier, the bottom of 9 tiers. The funny thing is… the Eugene Swoops are now in the pyramid too, moving outside, and they’re in the National Soccer Assocation League 1’s West division… the 5th tier! That’s no matter, we’ll reach the Swoops and the Reds will be known as victors. For now, we have to worry about our league...

---

Notes:
Spoiler

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

Last edited by The GIGGAS; 07-15-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Re: Lane United: Red Aces (FM 2014)

The first day on the job, I met with Nathan again, who gave me the run down of the team. We both knew it was a new team, but he felt there was enough talent to finish mid-table. I agreed with him, and scheduled press conferences and staff meetings.

After I went to my office, Phil Pearce, my assistant coach walked in. We discussed roles of the staff, and other topics of necessary. I tried to stress the idea of an open staff and player atmosphere, as I think that allows for the best form to be created.

I then introduced myself to the team who took to me because they felt like I could bring new ideas to a new team, and I felt pretty excited to try to bring that to them.

When looking at the squad, Coach Pearce pointed out 28 year old centerback Mike Zaratin as one of the best players, but the problem was he was not under contract. The scouting office agreed with him on the talent, so I put into motion bringing him under contract for the upcoming season.

The final thing for the day was the main staff meeting. Mostly deciding who would be most suitable to be captain, and take set pieces, although with some thoughts about scouting and youth. The tactic I wanted to work with first was a 4-1-2-1-2, which seemed to fit the squad pretty well, and hopefully would give me enough attack, while keeping a good defensive line. I also wanted to build a 4-3-1-2 to give a bit of flexibility if I wanted to throw players forward to get a goal.

My assistant let me know we had a friendly against the Tracktown Runners on July 20th (about a month away). They were a small club that we shared the Willamalane Center with. He then continued that our first game in the USS Northwest Regional Premier was against Corvallis on August 3rd. Since the two teams were new, no rivalry had built up yet, but I knew it was a matter of time, considering the rabid fans of Oregon and Oregon State.

We had some work to do.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

New Lane United Manager Very Astute
Claude Ndounou Obiang - June 30th, 2013

EUGENE, OR - Lane United, the new Eugene team in the USS Northwest Regional Premier, has their guy as manager. The selection is an unknown former software engineer named Mike Snider.

No one knew much about him, but during his introductory press conference, he was a calming figure, who knew what to say. When pressed about the ambitions of the club, Snider said he agreed with ownership.

“Our discussions are creative and a lot of good ideas come up. Obviously that’s a good thing,” Snider said, “If we’re going to climb the ladder to the American Premier League, we have to aim high, and that’s what we’re doing.”

Many have questioned how a completely inexperienced manager can control a very talented, yet very outspoken Fernando Avalos, the team’s right back. Snider was non-committal, which will only stoke the fire. However, he did offer other insights on his managerial style and his focus.

“Look, these players are people too. They don’t want to be mindless footballers. They want to feel valued as people, and it’s my policy to do my best to make everyone valued for everything they bring to the table,” Snider calmly stated.

The Red Aces will be happy to know that Snider is focused on doing everything he can to succeed in the Northwest Premier, as opposed to the US Open Cup.

“As much as I would love to win the US Open Cup, our focus is the Northwest Premier. I want to make this clear, we are working our way up the ladder, and I want to be promoted before we can think of a Cup.”

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Zaratin signs contract with Lane United

EUGENE, OR - Manager Mike Snider has quickly started to keep the talented players at Lane United. He signed center back Mike Zaratin, who had originally been out of contract, to a one year deal.

“We are excited to officially have Mike. We expect him to be a cornerstone of our defense,” said Snider.

Zaratin was excited as well, saying he was excited to play for Snider.

“He’s a new manager and he has all sorts of interesting ideas. Of course I want to play for someone like that,” Zaratin said.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Lane United Beats Tracktown in Friendly, 2-0
Claude Ndounou Obiang - July 20th, 2013

SPRINGFIELD, OR - Lane United is happy tonight after beating the Eugene-based Tracktown Runners FC club team 2-0. However, the Red Aces are trying to make sure they have a level head about the upcoming season, since tougher opposition is on the way.

“It was really nice to see a win for our Reds,” the Red Ace said after the game, “But this is the preseason, and we shouldn’t get all excited yet. We’ve got a lot of games to play.”

Manager Mike Snider was mainly an observer on the sidelines, looking at his team, and he felt positive.

“We got a quick goal and that’s always very important,” Snider mentioned, “And then we got an insurance goal a few minutes into the second half, and we held from there. We didn’t do a great job at keeping possession, but we definitely got the shots going our way. We need to do a better job at making sure they’re on target.”

Ian Clements, a 17 year old striker, got the scoring started at 7’, where he used his chest to control a cross and punch it in. The opportunity was begun by corner back Mike Zalatin who was able to intercept a Tracktown pass and quickly strike on the counterattack.

“It was a great cross,” Clements said, “Paul [Rosales, striker] put it right on my chest, and I had the time and space to get good control on it. I was fortunate that I was able to put it in the back of the net.”

Rosales had an assist on the other Lane United goal, this time at 59’, when he led a rushing striker Samuel Pineda to the top of the box who hammered it home. Thanks to the two assists, Rosales was made the man of the match.

“I was fortunate to help out my team today,” Rosales said, “But again, this is preseason, and we need to get ready for the league.”

With the league opener against Beaverton quickly approaching on August 3rd, it looks like Lane United will be ready for the challenge.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Man, 9 divisions of ranks to climb? I'll be following and hoping for the best!
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Preview: Lane United at Corvallis
Claude Ndounou Obiang - August 2nd, 2013

CORVALLIS, OR - Welcome to the first game of the new US Soccer Pyramid. In it, Lane United takes on the Corvallis Big Leafs at the Oregon State SoccerPlex tomorrow. Both managers, Lane United's Mike Snider and Corvallis' Tom Moore are making their debut as soccer managers, so very little can be determined at this time.

Both teams played friendlies with Trackdown Runners FC recently, and while Lane United won theirs 2-0, Corvallis had major problems with the small club team and lost 3-1, in a match where they started the scoring with a Jeff Herrera goal in the 2nd minute. For a comparison, the FC Edmonton U-18s of the Canadian Soccer League (tier one in their league) tied with Tracktown, 1-1.

Both coaches have been clear with their desire for attacking style, but the tactics on both sides will be a bit different. Tom Moore of Corvallis prefers a 3-5-2, and Mike Snider of Lane United will be using a 4-1-2-1-2 that looks very similar to a 4-4-2 Diamond, with one attacking midfielder, two central midfielders, and a defensive midfielder.

Corvallis midfielder Carlo King will miss the game with a groin strain that occurred in training. He will be back for the Big Leafs in a few days, but will have to miss this game.

With both teams sending players forward, it looks like this game could be an offensive scorefest. That may be problematic for young Reds keeper Adam Preece. He is a highly talented player who will be playing in higher leagues as he ages, but he may not be ready for this kind of offensive attack.

"He's young, of course," said Snider, "But I have full faith in him. He has been improving rapidly, and he's got great reflexes."

Tomorrow's game will be at 3:00 pm PT at the Oregon State SoccerPlex in Corvallis. Odds have Corvallis as the favorite at 5-4 odds.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 07-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Lane United falls to Corvallis, 2-0
Claude Ndounou Obiang - August 3nd, 2013

CORVALLIS, OR - In a poor showing for Lane United, Corvallis defeated the Reds 2-0, including an own goal to finish the scoring.

After an uneventful first half where nothing much of consequence happened, the second half was full of disappointment for the Reds. Striker Jason Plascencia finished off a good chance with a strong close range shot and the ball ricocheted off of keeper Adam Preece to find its way into the net to put Corvallis up 1-0 at the 51st minute.

Corvallis wasn't done with pressure, as a chance crossed in by midfielder Enrico Dal Molin was first tipped by Preece and landed at defender Luke Martinez's feet. Martinez tried to clear the ball backwards to concede a corner, but didn't get his foot on the ball correctly, and it hit the back of the net to give Corvallis the 2-0 lead.

Lane United couldn't unlock the Corvallis defense, and was only able to find 3 shots in the game, two of which were blocked, and one missed completely. Lane United also had a majority of the possession in the match, and had 14 fouls, as opposed to Corvallis' 4.

Two Reds players received bookings, as James Wilson was shown a yellow for a trip of Dal Molin at the 68th minute, and Mike Zalatin was shown a yellow for aggressive play against Plascencia at the 81st minute.

The goal highlights for today's game are embedded below.

USS Northwest Premier Wrapup, Matchday 1:

Corvallis 2-0 Lane United
Idaho Falls 4-1 Renton
Kent 0-2 Federal Way
Meridian 0-4 Fairbanks

OS OT Post Champ '11

Last edited by The GIGGAS; 07-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »