Home

The Valiants Rise to the Top Flight | Maize's Port Vale Dynasty

This is a discussion on The Valiants Rise to the Top Flight | Maize's Port Vale Dynasty within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
MVP

Maize08's Arena

OVR: 6
The Valiants Rise to the Top Flight | Maize's Port Vale Dynasty

I've recently picked up a copy of Fifa 20, after not playing the game for years. I forgot how much I enjoyed the career mode and I wanted to start a rebuild project to play through. I was looking for an English club with a long history, but without much success.

Port Vale F.C. has a long history in Staffordshire, having a disputed history but dating back to at least 1907. Although, records for a past club in the area go back to 1876 (144 years ago).

Port Vale was one of the founding members of the Football League Second Division in 1892. Even with that long history, they have never reached the top level of football in England.

They hold two dubious records: The most seasons in the English Football League without a season in the top division (109 years); and the most seasons in the second tier without reaching the first tier (41 seasons).

I plan to change that but I know it won't be easy. Like my other dynasties, that are mostly college football, I want to focus on making this a realistic rebuild. That means I won't be taking shortcuts and I'm ready for the long haul.

Port Vale is currently in League Two, having bounced around in the last decade between League One and Two. In real life, they just missed the playoff for the 2019-20 season. That's where I'll be starting this dynasty.

This will focus on story lines and year-to-year progress. I hope you enjoy. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to improve this.

The Rundown
Game: FIFA 20 on PS4
Difficulty: Professional
Game Speed: Normal
Half Length: 9 or 15 minutes per half. (Adjusted for stats)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Re: The Valiants Rise to the Top Flight | Maize's Port Vale Dynasty

History and Records

First Year in English Football League: 1892
Highest Finish: 5th Place in Second Division (1930-31)
Best FA Cup Finish: Semi-finalists (1953-54)
EFL Trophy: Champions (1993, 2001)

Football Championship Honors
None

League One Honors
Champions: 1929-30, 1953-54
Automatic Promotion: 1929-30, 1953-54, 1993-94
Playoff Winners: 1988-89

League Two Honors
Champions: 1958-59
Automatic Promotion: 1958-59, 1982-83, 2012-13
Playoff Winners: 1969-70, 1985-86

Last edited by Maize08; 06-05-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Season Reviews

2018-19
EFL League Two
League Finish: 20th (49 points)
League Record: 12-13-21
FA Cup: First Round
EFL Cup: First Round
EFL Trophy: Third Round
Player of the Year: GK Scott Brown
Top Goalscorer: Tom Pope (14)

2019-20
EFL League Two
League Finish: 8th (57 points)
League Record: 14-15-8
FA Cup: Third Round
EFL Cup: First Round
EFL Trophy: Third Round
Player of the Year: MF David Worrall
Top Goalscorer: Tom Pope (10)

Last edited by Maize08; 06-05-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
MVP

Maize08's Arena

You can now post. I have articles planned that I'll have posted soon about ownership, management and the end of the season.

I simulated the 2019-20 season to match how Port Vale finished. That was difficult, but that's where I'm starting.

I'm looking forward to this, hope to have some followers!

Old 06-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
MVP

Maize08's Arena

BBC SPORT

Port Vale Chair 'Left Shaking' After Voting to End Season
May 15, 2020 | League Two
The English Football League said clubs "unanimously indicated" a wish to end the season. That came via a framework including table being decided on points per game.

Vale are eighth in League Two and would miss out on any potential play-offs.

"It wasn't an easy thing to do. It's the hardest thing I've ever done," Shanahan told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Then I had to do the awful thing of ringing the manager to tell him.

"Port Vale fans could look at it and ask 'why on earth did Carol vote for this that meant we missed out?'. Well, it was for the greater good. I think it was the right thing to do."

The EFL said an unweighted points-per-game system was agreed upon at Friday's meeting, with recommendations to be discussed at a board meeting on Wednesday.

Any move still needs to be ratified by the EFL and the Football Association.

"When I went on to the call today I felt I really wanted to finish the season. We're eighth in the table and have every chance of getting into the play-offs. We had everything to play for," Shanahan said.

"[But] being part of League Two I felt that the unity of League Two and the unity of the club we belong to, the needs of that was more important than the hurt Port Vale would feel.

"It's not been a great afternoon. We felt the hurt and went into a board meeting to plan for next season."

Last edited by Maize08; 06-06-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Vale's Early Roster Moves Prove Less Change Needed to Compete
Port Vale has already begun remaking their roster as they prep for another season in League Two. While the plan in Manager John Askey's first year was promotion to League One, the shortened season left the Valiants just outside the playoff picture.

Last year, Askey and the front office overhauled the roster after a stretch of unimpressive seasons. They brought in 14 new players, a major change; although winger David Amoo was the only new acquisition to become a fixture in starting lineups.

This offseason, the expectation is for fewer moves but some that could make a greater impact on the field. As of right now, five players are at the end of their contract with Port Vale and won't be brought back: forward Jordan McFarlane-Archer, defenders Callum Evans and Kieran Kennedy, midfielder Ryan Lloyd, and keeper Jonny Madison.

The front office is working on resigning the other five players whose contracts finished at season's end. Those players are Scott Brown, David Amoo, Will Atkinson, Luke Joyce and Mark Cullen.

While contracts for veterans like Scott Brown are likely to be short deals, management has said that those veterans are needed for the club to consider promotion in the near future. As Port Vale continues to rebuild their academy system, they lack for younger players of value on the roster. Thus, as they continue to develop, the team will need plans for the time being.

David Amoo is expected to garner a meaningful contract this offseason. His is expected to test the market with other clubs internationally; as the Southwark native has spent his professional career in the EFL and Scottish Pro League.

John Askey has said that the focus will again be on building a unit with depth that can win right away. It seems all efforts at Port Vale are pulling in the same direction - toward promotion.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Former Vale Manager Micky Adams Added as Advisor
Micky Adams returns to Port Vale only to find them similar to where they were when he first came in charge. Adams initially became Port Vale's manager in June of 2009. At the time, he was brought in to stabilize the club, having a long run of successes at clubs that were fighting for promotion in the EFL. Port Vale in 2009 had bottomed out, falling from the second tier and almost out of the league system entirely in just ten years.

Flash forward to today, it's a similar story. Just two seasons after finishing 20th and missing relegation from League Two, Micky Adams returns just as the club considers their next move.

Adams returns now as a football advisor to Club President John Rudge. Rudge did not have an advisor that worked with the coaching staff, that position will now be filled by Adams.

The 58-year-old former manager would enjoy two stints at Port Vale. In his first, he left the club in second place in League Two just before a January transfer window in 2010. His second stint lasted longer; highlighted by lifting the Valiants to promotion to League One after the 2012-13 season.

His no-nonsense style and emphasis on tough play and defense was a fan favorite and played well in the clubhouse. He was a favorite manager of many current and former players, including Tom Pope.

Adams second departure from Port Vale came in September of 2014, on the back of six straight defeats. As the club was rebuilding and holding onto position in League One; the club was also surviving financial shortfalls.

He returns with new ownership in tow, likely the most stable financial situation the club has been in for a decade-plus.

Adams has said that now in an advisory role, he just wants to finish the job he started in Port Vale. That means promotion and building the type of club that can compete for league titles.

Last edited by Maize08; 06-07-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
MVP

Maize08's Arena

Port Vale Signs Trio of Veterans to One-Year Extensions
After an 8th place finish that left Port Vale just outside of a shot at promotion, they are looking to stabilize the roster. Last offseason, the club saw 14 new players and 14 players out. This time around, less turnover is expected. That has already started with Vale agreeing to contract extensions with three significant players from last year's core.

Starting with goalkeeper Scott Brown, who has agreed to return on a one-year deal. The 35 year-old thinks he has a few years remaining at a 'high level,' and will spend at least one more with Port Vale.

Brown garnered support for Port Vale's Player of the Year, an award that ended up going to midfielder David Worrall. Brown appeared in all 37 games for Port Vale last season, earning 11 clean sheets and setting a 71% save percentage.

Along with Brown's return, Port Vale also announced resigning Will Atkinson and Nathan Smith to one year deals. Atkinson played sparingly last season, seeing action in 11 games and adding one goal.

Nathan Smith, a Port Vale academy grad, has always gained attention from other clubs on the transfer market. He has become a mainstay in the middle of Vale's defense, along with veteran Leon Legge.

Smith, now 24, has been up with Port Vale's first team since 2014. He was loaned out early to earn opportunities to play with lower-level squads Stafford and Torquay United. Since the 2016-17 season, he has been with the Port Vale squad and has earned 170 appearances.

The club still sees Nathan Smith as a building block for the club. This past season might have been his best as a pro; even earning Tom Pope's vote for the club's Player of the Year.

It was a surprise to many that Smith and Port Vale did not agree to a longer term deal. That could still be in the works, but Askey and company have made their preparations for next year a priority.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »