Home

The Career Of Steve Fulton(Nascar Racing 2002 Season) 2nd Attempt

This is a discussion on The Career Of Steve Fulton(Nascar Racing 2002 Season) 2nd Attempt within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Pro

sgf83's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Career Of Steve Fulton(Nascar Racing 2002 Season) 2nd Attempt

1997 Season Preview

As most of the country is still experiencing cold winter weather the teams of NASCAR's Winston Cup Series make the annual trek south to Daytona Beach, Florida to kick off another season of stock car racing. The NFL just had their Super Bowl and crowned the Green Bay Packers champs to end their season. NASCAR is different, we have our "Super Bowl" to kick off the season with The Great American Race the Daytona 500. The weather is great, the teams are all eager to see if the winter testing they did will pay off this year and they can lift the Championship Trophy at Atlanta like Terry Labonte did in 1996.

This season has two new tracks on the schedule as we travel west to the brand new Texas Motor Speedway and make a stop in Fontana at California Speedway. We also get a second race in the northeast at New Hampshire Speedway. The loser in this deal is the fans of Wilkesboro, NC as NASCAR has removed the tour dates for North Wilkesboro Speedway.

Some garage area favorites heading into the season are Jeff Gordon, Dale Jarrett and 7-time champion "The Intimidator" Dale Earnhardt. Only time will tell so let's get the season kicked off with the Busch Clash at Daytona International Speedway.

Last edited by sgf83; 08-01-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
Pro

sgf83's Arena

2-9-97
Daytona International Speedway
Daytona Beach, Florida
1:00 PM EST

ENTRY LIST

2 | Rusty Wallace | Miller Lite | Ford | Penske Racing
3 | Dale Earnhardt | GM Goodwrench | Chevrolet | Richard Childress Racing
5 | Terry Labonte | Kellogg's | Chevrolet | Hendrick Motorsports
6 | Mark Martin | Valvoline | Ford | Roush Racing
7 | Geoff Bodine | QVC | Ford | Geoff Bodine Racing
16 | Ted Musgrave | Primestar | Ford | Roush Racing
17 | Darrell Waltrip | Western Auto | Chevrolet | Darrell Waltrip Racing***
18 | Bobby Labonte | Interstate Batteries | Pontiac | Joe Gibbs Racing
22 | Ward Burton | MBNA | Pontiac | Bill Davis Racing
24 | Jeff Gordon | Dupont | Chevrolet | Hendrick Motorsports
25 | Ricky Craven | Budweiser | Chevrolet | Hendrick Motorsports
28 | Ernie Irvan | Texaco Havoline | Ford | Robert Yates Racing
30 | Johnny Benson | Pennzoil | Pontiac | Bahari Racing
33 | Ken Schrader | Skoal Bandit | Andy Petree Racing
37 | Jeremy Mayfield | K-Mart/Little Caesars | Michael Kranefuss Racing
88 | Dale Jarrett | Ford Quality Care | Robert Yates Racing
94 | Bill Elliott | McDonald's | Bill Elliott Racing
99 | Jeff Burton | Exide Batteries | Roush Racing

*** - Replacement driver Steve Fulton filling in due to injury.

The Busch Clash is made up of the previous seasons pole sitters and past Busch Clash winners. This years race fields 18 drivers who kick off the season on the high banks at Daytona. Dale Earnhardt is the odds-on favorite to win as he pretty much dominates everything at Daytona outside of the 500. One problem though, he is by himself while other drivers have teamates that will be able to help in the draft. Hendrick, Roush and Yates all have team members a plenty to team up against The Intimidator and that's what they will have to do to dethrone Dale Earnhardt at Daytona.

Last edited by sgf83; 08-01-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #11
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

Excited to follow this, always wanted more auto racing reports on here!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #12
Pro

sgf83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
Excited to follow this, always wanted more auto racing reports on here!
If my NASCAR career write-up is half as good as your Carnegie Mellon Tartans dynasty it will be an accomplishment.

Thanks for dropping in and I look forward to doing this. I was a HUGE NASCAR fan back in the 90's and 00's so it's like I'm strolling down memory lane.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
Pro

sgf83's Arena

BREAKING NEWS!

Darrell Waltrip was taken to the infield care center after a practice crash for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series here in Daytona Beach, Florida. Reports are he suffered a dislocated shoulder when his #17 Western Auto Chevrolet flipped in practice after contact with a fellow racer.

Dick Berggren : That was a scary ride DW. How are you feeling?

Darrell Waltrip : I'm OK, just a little sore. I'm sure it will hurt worse tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to sit the Busch Clash out and get healed up for the big race.

Dick Berggren : I'm glad you are OK. We saw the team rolling out the backup car. It's a shame the fans won't get to see the car in the Busch Clash this year.

Darrell Waltrip : Well, tell the fans to cheer up because the car will be in the race tomorrow but this old man won't be behind the wheel. I'm going to let the rookie Steve Fulton get in there and see what he can do. His team has been really struggling to find speed down here but I like his attitude and drive. Not many have the guts to do what he did and jump up here with the big boys. I like that!

Dick Berggren : That is definitely a major development. You heard it here first. The rookie Steve Fulton will be participating in the Busch Clash filling in for DW as he is on the mend from his crash earlier today.

Last edited by sgf83; 08-01-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #14
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgf83
If my NASCAR career write-up is half as good as your Carnegie Mellon Tartans dynasty it will be an accomplishment.

Thanks for dropping in and I look forward to doing this. I was a HUGE NASCAR fan back in the 90's and 00's so it's like I'm strolling down memory lane.
I appreciate the kind words! I'm also a big NASCAR fan, moreso in the 90s and 00s like you said, but I still follow the sport pretty regularly today. As someone who enjoys his fair share of older video games and generally nostalgic for the past, I'm really looking forward to this and seeing how the past will be rewritten!
Old 07-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
Pro

sgf83's Arena

1997 Busch Clash Race Results
POSDRIVERCARLAPSSTARTLEDPTSBONUS
1Dale Earnhardt320612
2Geoff Bodine720151
3Ward Burton2220120
4Ted Musgrave162040
5Steve Fulton1720171
6Bobby Labonte182050
7Jeremy Mayfield3720180
8Ricky Craven252080
9Ernie Irvan2820140
10Rusty Wallace220100
11Jeff Gordon2420160
12Bill Elliott942070
13Terry Labonte52031
14Jeff Burton992010
15Mark Martin620131
16Johnny Benson302090
17Kenny Schrader3320111
18Dale Jarrett882023

The Intimidator does what he usually does and dominates an exhibition race at Daytona International Speedway in February. Dale Earnhardt started the race on the outside of row 3 but by lap 9 he put the GM Goodwrench Chevrolet into the wind and set sail to his 7th victory in the annual exhibition race at the world's center of racing. He was able to take the lead from young upstart Steve Fulton who was in the race as a replacement for Darrell Waltrip who was nursing a shoulder injury after a bad crash in practice. Dale Earnhardt said he would trade all his success in exhibition races at Daytona in for just one Daytona 500 victory.

Last edited by sgf83; 08-01-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #16
Pro

sgf83's Arena

NASCAR LIVE DRIVER Q&A

Every week we will sit down with a driver for a little Q & A session. I'm your host Eli Gold and this week's driver is the driver of the #83 Ford for Fulton Motorsports Steve Fulton.

ELI GOLD : Steve, you just finished 5th in the Busch Clash filling in for DW. How was that experience?

STEVE FULTON : Thanks for having me on the show Eli, it's an honor to be here. Um, I am still pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. Last year at this time I was in the shop back home working on a late model watching the Busch Clash on TV. The experience was awesome and I am ever grateful to Darrell Waltrip for giving me that opportunity.

ELI GOLD : You got out front for a lap and hung in the top-5 most of the race. Did you ever think you could have won that race?

STEVE FULTON : DW's car was driving good and I was just working the draft and lucked up to get to the point but when I saw Dale coming to pass I won't lie that I felt intimidated seeing that black car in the mirror. Once he got past I was content on riding behind the man but when that white flag flew I just had to give it a shot and go for the W. It cost me a few spots in the end but the reward for that risk would have been sweet.

ELI GOLD : DW announced he would definitely be back in the car for the 500. What is your team's outlook on the big race?

STEVE FULTON : I sure hate not being able to stay in that seat but it will be good to get back over to my team and focus on practice and qualifying. We haven't had any speed down here in winter testing or practice so we are looking for anything we can get. Our goal is to just make the race but right now it's not looking good but we have another practice session to work on things and you never know we may surprise ourselves.

ELI GOLD : Thanks for sitting down with me Steve, good luck this year and hopefully you can challenge for the Raybestos Rookie of the Year Award.

STEVE FULTON : It's been my pleasure Eli, I hope we can surprise some people this year. Thanks for having me.

Driver: Steve Fulton
Hometown: Belews Creek, NC
Experience: Rookie
Team: 83 | Ford | Fulton Motorsports

Last edited by sgf83; 08-01-2020 at 10:00 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »