Home

A Rangers Renaissance - Quest for 55 (FM21)

This is a discussion on A Rangers Renaissance - Quest for 55 (FM21) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

A Rangers Renaissance - Quest for 55

Chaos and controversy. That emphatically describes the last nine years for Rangers Football Club.

Nine years ago, Rangers were in a liquidation crisis. The club nearly evaporated into thin air before being rescued. The Scottish FA banished them to the lowest tier of Scottish football and Celtic won the first of their current streak of nine league titles in a row (which ties Celtic's run from 1966-1974 and Rangers' run from 1989-1997).

Eight years ago, manager Ally McCoist saw millions of pounds worth of talent walk away for free as the likes of Allan McGregor, Steven Whittaker, Kyle Lafferty, and Steven Naismith opted not to transfer their contracts. Forced to throw together a squad of journeymen, his team comfortably sealed the first leg of their journey but it was not without humiliating slip-ups as the fallen Glasgow giants suffered defeats by part-timers Stirling, Annan, and Peterhead.

Seven years ago, only six points were dropped as Rangers strolled to the League One title but things were much rockier behind the scenes as chief executive Charles Green went head to head with McCoist in a public row before being forced to sell his shares to Greenock tycoon Sandy Easdale. There were further embarrassing results as the Light Blues crashed out of the League Cup to Forfar and suffered defeat to Raith Rovers in the final of the Challenge Cup.

Six years ago, more boardroom wrangling saw Mike Ashley emerge as the main Ibrox power broker before he and his Easdale-fronted board were eventually ousted by Dave King and the ‘Three Bears’. However, the King coup came too late for McCoist, who had been placed on gardening leave after a series of fall-outs with the ruling regime. Stuart McCall was brought back to salvage their Championship title bid but Rangers slumped home in third place and suffered another red-faced moment as they were thumped by Motherwell in the play-off final.

Five years ago, Rangers looked to have finally got their house in order as new boss Mark Warburton transformed the Ibrox squad and implemented a slick new passing style. His side strolled to the Championship crown and dumped Celtic out of the Scottish Cup semis on penalties. But there was another bleak day in the final, with Hibs snatching victory with two late goals and the final whistle marred by disgraceful scenes as supporters from both clubs rioted on the Hampden turf.

Four years ago, Rangers unveiled a huge display declaring they were ‘Going for 55′ as they made their top-flight return at home to Hamilton – only to stutter to a 1-1 draw. Warburton added the experience of Joey Barton, Niko Kranjcar, and Philippe Senderos but they were outclassed in an early 5-1 defeat by Brendan Rodgers’ Celtic. Warburton was axed in February with youth boss Graeme Murty placed in temporary command. Pedro Caixinha was then brought in but he could not prevent Rangers from suffering two more humiliating defeats at the hands of Rodgers’ ‘Invincibles’ as they limped to third place.

Three years ago, the appointment of Caixinha proved to be a disaster too as Rangers’ return to European action ended in another mortifying loss to Progres Niederkorn of Luxembourg. The Portuguese only lasted until October when Murty was again called in to take temporary charge. Things appeared to be going well under the former Reading defender for a spell but a 3-2 loss to 10-man Celtic in March saw the wheels come off again and he was stood down, with Jimmy Nicholl taking charge of the final three games of the season as another third-placed finish beckoned.

Two years ago, a new era dawned as Liverpool great Steven Gerrard was brought in. The former Anfield youth coach made an immediate impact as he led the club into the Europa League group stages but his side’s title challenge faltered after the winter break and they finished nine points adrift of Celtic.

Last year, further work was done to restore Rangers’ reputation as Gerrard’s men marched into the last 16 of the Europa League. But again he faced big questions as his side folded under pressure. Celtic pinched victory in the final of the League Cup and streaked 13 points ahead before the lockdown forced the premature end to a season that also saw Rangers lose to Hearts in the Scottish Cup.

With a positive summer window adding quality and depth, many fancy Rangers' chances this season as they have played exciting, attacking football for the most part. Being able to keep a hold of star men Alfredo Morelos and Ryan Kent only bolsters Rangers' chances of running Celtic to the wire and potentially winning the club's first league title in 10 years. Although improved under Gerrard, it will take a monumental push for Rangers to be crowned champions come May.

The importance of this season cannot be emphasized enough with Celtic chasing a record-breaking 10 titles in a row and Rangers setting out to stop history being created.

Last edited by jasontoddwhitt; 06-28-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #2
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Season-by-Season Record

SEASONSCOTTISH PREMIERSHIPSCOTTISH CUPSCOTTISH LEAGUE CUPUEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUEUEFA EUROPA LEAGUE
2020-21WINNERSWINNERSWINNERSN/A3rd Qualifying Round
2021-222nd4th RoundWINNERSGroup Stage2nd Knockout Round
2022-23WINNERSQuarter FinalWINNERSPlayoff1st Knockout Round

Last edited by jasontoddwhitt; 10-28-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:31 PM   #3
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Re: A Rangers Renaissance - Quest for 55 (FM21)

Pre-Season

Club Vision

Gone are the days of if Celtic spends $5 million, we spend $10 million. The culture of this club is to lean on youth development. To have the best youth system in Scotland.

And of course, just win baby. All that matters is stopping Celtic from winning ten in a row. We also want to win the Scottish Cup and on a lower priority, the Betfred Cup as well. As for our expectations in the Europa League, we want to make it to the knockout stages again.

Key Personnel

Potential Starting XI

First Team Squad

The 2020-21 season is already a lost cause for center-back Nikola Katic, who suffered a torn ACL early on in preseason training and is out for the season. Meanwhile, midfielder Steven Davis is out for two months while he recovers from an Achilles injury and striker Jermaine Defoe is also out for two months while he recovers from a hamstring strain.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

August 2020

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, *Barisic, Jack, Arfield (Aribo), Kamara, Hagi, Kent, Morelos

Aberdeen was more focused on beating us to death than trying to win a football match. Five bookings, which led to them going a man down in the 66th minute led to us finally breaking them down in the 84th minute. Three points are three points.

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Simpson, Helander, *Barisic (Bassey), Jack, Arfield (Aribo), Kamara (Davis), Hagi, Kent, Morelos (Roofe)

This could be the theme for the season, as St. Mirren turned this into a rugby match, committing 32 fouls and getting booked six times. Barisic had to be subbed off due to injury, but thankfully it doesn't look too bad. Former Rangers keeper Jak Alnwick kept the game from getting out of hand, making nine saves. Two first-half goals allowed us to cruise to the finish in our home debut.

Lineup: McGregor, *Tavernier, Simpson, Helander, Patterson, Jack, Arfield (Bassey), Kamara (Davis), Hagi (Kennedy), Kent (Aribo), Morelos (Roofe)

Oh Nathan Patterson. You get the start for the injured Borna Barisic, and you get a red card in the 11th minute for a clumsy two footed tackle. You got a lot to learn young one. This was a match we would've lost last year, but we somehow managed to pull this off despite being a man down for the majority of the match. Tavernier scored a goal and assisted on the other one late when it looked like we were only coming away with one point.

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson (Simpson), Helander, *Barisic, Jack, Arfield, Kamara (Aribo), Hagi (Zungu), Kent (Davis), Roofe (Itten)

That's more like it. We go on the road and just exert our strength on Livingston. Poor goal-keeping helped our cause today, as our xG for the game was only 1.61. No complaints on my end.

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic (Bassey), Jack, Davis (Zungu), Kamara (Aribo), *Hagi, Kent (Arfield), Morelos (Itten)

Another game where the other team tried to pound us into submission with 28 fouls committed, and one injury to Alfredo Morelos. In the end, a Hagi hattrick led us on our way to max points.

Lineup: McGregor, *Tavernier, Goldson, Helander (Simpson), Barisic, Jack, Davis (Aribo), Kamara (Zungu), Roofe, Kent (Hagi), Itten (Arfield)

Credit to Hamilton, they didn't try to turn it into a rugby match and played us straight up. Unfortunately, there is a reason why they are currently bottom of the table. Pretty straightforward affair...three goals and comfortable throughout.

Summary

That was the way we needed to start the season and put up max points on the board, especially with Celtic stumbling out of the gate a little bit. Injuries are going to seemingly be an issue, especially with these lower teams trying to make these matches dirty affairs. Scottish refs definitely need to get that under control, but that's been a complaint for years.

Player of the month is a hard one to pick for August. Ianis Hagi is leading the goal-scoring charts with four goals and picked up the SPFL Young Player of the Month Award. Borna Barisic and James Tavernier each have four assists so far on the young season. That's exactly the type of play I want from my fullbacks. They finished second and third in the SPFL Player of the Month voting (the award went to St. Johnstone striker Stevie May, who scored seven goals), so I guess I will give it to this guy.

Speaking of James, the question is going to be can we keep him. He has two years left on his contract, but when we tried to extend him, he wasn't having it. Now the question becomes do we cash in on him in the January transfer period to maximize the money we get from him?

Old 06-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #5
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11

I love a good FM thread to follow. Rangers are a fun team to manage and Scotland is a fun place to manage in FM. I look forward to following along!

What skin are you using? I’m always looking to try new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeifere1
I love a good FM thread to follow. Rangers are a fun team to manage and Scotland is a fun place to manage in FM. I look forward to following along!

What skin are you using? I’m always looking to try new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'm using the Flut skin from sortitoutsi.net. It's where I also go for my logo packs, face packs, city packs, and stadium packs.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

September 2020

Lineup: McGregor, *Tavernier, Goldson, Helander (Balogun), Barisic, Jack (Arfield), Zungu, Aribo (Davis), Roofe (Hagi), Kent, Morelos (Itten)

After the international break, the games are going to start coming hot and heavy, so these pandemic sub rules are nice for trying to keep the boys fresh and match fit. A complete performance on our part, as Dundee United failed to register a single shot.

UEFA Europa League - League Path Second Qualifying Round

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic (Balogun), Jack, Davis, Kamara (Aribo), *Hagi, Kent (Arfield), Morelos (Defoe)

We pretty much had the game under control, but an untimely and rare error by Barisic gave AGF a glimmer of hope. The final 25 minutes were quite the nervy affair, but we get the win, and thanks to the pandemic, no second leg.

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier (Balogun), Goldson, Helander (Simpson), Barisic, Zungu, Davis (*Aribo), Kamara (Jack), Roofe, Kent (Hagi), Morelos

Got to give Hibs a lot of credit. They were really stifling our attack through the first hour of the match. Credit to Aribo and Hagi for coming off the bench and giving us the spark we needed with Aribo assisting on both of Hagi's goals.

UEFA Europa League - League Path Third Qualifying Round

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander (Balogun), Barisic, Kamara, Davis, Aribo (Jack), Hagi (Roofe), Kent (Arfield), Morelos (Itten)

Now I wish there was a second leg. This was a game we should've comfortably won. Credit to Steeven Willems for launching a 24-yard screamer that got past McGregor. But we had plenty of time to turn the match around. We had plenty of chances. Credit to Nicolas Penneteau for making eight saves. The Ibrox faithful aren't happy. Neither is the board.

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier (Balogun), Goldson, Helander, *Barisic, Jack, Davis (Zungu), Aribo (Kamara), Hagi (Arfield), Kent (Roofe), Morelos

Call it a continental hangover effect. We had a clear-cut chance to win this 1-0, but Morelos chucked the easy finish wide. We're getting in the right positions. Our defensive shape is outstanding. Now we have to execute.

Summary

It's not a good feeling to be out of Europa. You simply have to throw your hands up and say "That's football". I feel like we would've turned it around in a second leg, but we won't get the opportunity. We're still top of the table in the league, so while we dropped points to Motherwell, our position remains strong. It does mean though that in the first Old Firm next month, we have to get max points against Celtic.

We were able to sign midfielder Glen Kamara to a four-year extension worth $3.9 million. This does put us over our payroll budget, but that should fix itself in the January period.

We did get an update from the government and the FA concerning Brexit and how it will affect us moving forward.

- Foreign player limit of 17
- Limit of 6 foreign U21 players allowed to be signed in the summer transfer period
- Limit of 3 foreign U21 players allowed to be signed in the January transfer period
- Current EU players will be given special status until 1/1/24, at which point, they will have to apply for a work permit if they have not attained citizenship by then.

The Player of the month for September will have to go to left-back Borna Borisic. The Croatian international struggled a bit in Europa (but then so did everyone else), but his league form was top shelf. He's quickly turned into a regular starter for us and his six assists from the left-back position show he is helping us get width on the attack.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

October 2020

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, *Barisic, Jack, Davis (Zungu), Kamara (Aribo), Hagi (Roofe), Kent (Arfield), Morelos (Itten)

After the last two matches where we failed to score a goal, we needed this. Pure domination on our part. No shots allowed, five different goal scorers and Barisic totally dictated our attack with 12 key passes.

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier (Kamara), *Goldson, Simpson, Barisic, Jack, Zungu, Aribo, Hagi (Roofe), Kent (Arfield), Morelos

I was hesitant about the Old Firm being the first match after the international break with so many of our players out with their countries. You could tell some of the guys were tired. But they were up for this match. Morelos' header put us up front, and while Celtic kept us on the back foot for pretty much the rest of the match, we were able to hang on. Three points is three points and now the pressure is definitely on Celtic.

Lineup: McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Simpson, Jack, Davis (Arfield), Kamara (Aribo), *Hagi (Stewart), Roofe (Kent), Morelos (Itten)

I was worried if there would be a hangover after such a grueling Old Firm, but we rushed out to a three-nil lead and everything seemed fine. Then we came out flat-footed in the second half and Livingston punched us in the nose after two missed defensive assignments. So much for eight straight games without conceding a goal. Afterwards, we steadied the ship, and while I wished we had scored another goal or two to make it less nervy, Livingston never really threatened again.

Lineup: McGregor, *Tavernier, Goldson, Helander (Simpson), Barisic, Zungu, Davis, Kamara (Jack), Roofe (Aribo), Kent, Morelos (Defoe)

What's with my guys getting early red cards? In the 17th minute, Ryan Kent was sent off with a clumsy two-footed tackle, which instantly put us on the back foot. Or at least, I thought it would. Despite having the man advantage, Kilmarnock didn't seem intent on coming out of their defensive block. So we pegged the ball around the pitch, and then finally broke through on a spot-kick for Tavernier.

Summary

Between no continental football and an international break, the month of October wasn't too busy. The highlight is still winning the Old Firm, especially with Celtic struggling out of the gates and dropping points left and right. Oddsmakers pegged them as the preseason favorites, but now we're the betting favorites.

In transaction news, we signed Connor Goldson to a five-year extension worth $7.75 million. He is a commanding presence on our backline, as evident by his awesome performance against Celtic. And I know pundits will say I punished the kid by not playing him after his red card (and perhaps I did), but Nathan Patterson does have a bright future for us. Since he isn't playing for us though, we shipped him to Ayr United on loan for the rest of the season.

The Player of the Month should be no surprise. James Tavernier has been having a great season, and maybe we'll make one more run at him to sign a contract extension. Ultimately though, we don't want to risk losing him for nothing, and five Premier League teams are lining up for his services.

Last edited by jasontoddwhitt; 06-30-2021 at 01:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »