Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Backbreaker (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Backbreaker Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here (/forums/showthread.php?t=415605)

Primal80s 05-27-2010 05:11 AM

Re: Backbreaker Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here

Just a quick paragraph or three about my updated impressions now that I've had a good few days of BB. This may also address some people's worries about the number of INTs in the throwing game.

I had adopted the Spartans as "my team" until the game comes out and was having a pretty good time playing against teams of equal skill level. Sometimes I'd get a good run and a first down, sometimes my passing plays would work and about 20%-25% of the time I'd throw INTs or incompletes. But hey, that's why they have 4 downs. I was reaching the point where my D and my O were balanced though and I was reaching half-time with 0-0 or 0-3...low scoring no TDs.

I switched to the Cougars and started playing against the Colonels. Wow! What a difference! The extra second in the pocket that comes from playing against teams with less skill really is a game changer. Suddenly my eyes were wide open and I could see my primary and secondary clearly and started throwing more and more completes. My running game also got better, with an extra second or two to spot the incoming linebackers. The game continues to amaze me. The CPU still throws some good plays and some bad ones and you will still be sacked sometimes but that is football.

So this is my message to anyone having trouble with learning to play QB. Yes, it IS a learning curve, there's no easy way around it. It's not the camera's fault, it's your fault. But if you practice, play smart and don't delay too long (not like the ten second luxury of being a QB-in-the-pocket in another football game) you'll find your throwing game gradually getting better. Play Cougars vs. Colonels for a few games and see how that feels. Don't hold Focus until you're ready to throw. Ultimately, just keep at it. It is not like anything you've played before, don't try to play it like any other football game you're used to.

P.S. I've never had a roughing the kicker penalty and I've never seen a punt or a field goal blocked yet. Maybe it's because I enact the play on the field instead of cheating to the outside and running around the line of scrimmage, maybe I'm not good enough at football games to break that line, but I haven't encountered this problem yet.

Afrikan 05-27-2010 06:10 AM

Great Post Primal80s...

I also have not had any roughing the kicker penalties...or any blocked punts..

I have been playing on Pro/Hard settings this whole time, so I don't know if that decreases the chances for those situations happening.

roadman 05-27-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikan (Post 2041105832)
Great Post Primal80s...

I also have not had any roughing the kicker penalties...or any blocked punts..

I have been playing on Pro/Hard settings this whole time, so I don't know if that decreases the chances for those situations happening.

Over the weekend, on Pro/Hard settings, I saw 9 missed XP's/FG's from the CPU over 5 games. Very odd and peculiar.

Demoncrom 05-27-2010 08:24 AM

Same here, I've not been able to block any kicks yet, but I have given and taken a safety. I have been playing with all the teams and I do see where some are better at some things. The Talons and Cougars to me seem to have the best run lines, with both those teams if I focus on the run I end up about 46 or more on the ground. For passing the Spartans seem to be the team to go, when I focus on the pass i was able to go 6/7 for 99 yards. I've gotten used to cam and really like the game - plan to pay off the reserve on Friday. In terms of int - play against the spartans and see how many you come up with. So far it seems you can get them for at least 1 per game provided that you are ahead on points and they are down on the count - 3rd down - more than 10 years - going to dime zone usually get the pick, but hey that happens if you force the ball. Plus remember there are 60 more teams here, this is my game for the summer. It aint perfect but it sure is fun

sportyguyfl31 05-27-2010 08:37 AM

From what Im hearing, playing head to head online (with trustworthy people) should be really fun.

fldash 05-27-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadman (Post 2041105945)
Over the weekend, on Pro/Hard settings, I saw 9 missed XP's/FG's from the CPU over 5 games. Very odd and peculiar.

I told them about this and they noted it (according to Todd). I noticed it ONLY when there was a significant crosswind on the field. Otherwise they make them.

roadman 05-27-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fldash (Post 2041106025)
I told them about this and they noted it (according to Todd). I noticed it ONLY when there was a significant crosswind on the field. Otherwise they make them.

Ah, ok, that makes sense, thanks for the update.

Even in crosswinds, most FG's should make XP's.

Good pickup.

elgreazy1 05-27-2010 10:10 AM

edit