Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Adrian Peterson Saga (/forums/showthread.php?t=762322)

wwharton 09-15-2014 04:51 PM

Re: The Adrian Peterson Saga

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJones (Post 2046587108)
I don't understand this "know him to be a good person" thing. People are good based on their actions, not by how good they or other people say they are. Someone who beats their kid with a stick and leaves marks that are still visible a week later is not a good person. The things that Rice and Peterson have done are not "mistakes", they're criminal acts. I don't care if you're my brother or my best friend or a professional football player.

You still didn't answer the question. It's a hypothetical so in the scenario, if you knew your brother to be a good person to that point...

What should his punishment be?

This is my problem with all of these cases. People are outraged! Okay, in many ways, rightfully so. But what should the punishment be and why? He should be locked up? How long? He should lose his job? Does it depend on what his job is? He should be suspended? For how long? Is that the same as what should happen to the guy that punches a 4 year old in the face for drooling on his shoe?

DrJones 09-15-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mestevo (Post 2046587151)
The pictures show 8+ strikes that formed welts and/or drew blood on the front of his legs from the stick used wrapping around and hitting him in the front, including his genitals. Police report states there are bruises on his back and rear, and defensive wounds on his hands. All of the above Adrian Peterson confirmed he did.

Well beyond welts and a 'tanned rear'

And the pictures were taken a week later, I might add.

CaseIH 09-15-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mestevo (Post 2046587151)
The pictures show 8+ strikes that formed welts and/or drew blood on the front of his legs from the stick used wrapping around and hitting him in the front, including his genitals. Police report states there are bruises on his back and rear, and defensive wounds on his hands. All of the above Adrian Peterson confirmed he did.

Well beyond welts and a 'tanned rear'

If thats the case then he definitely made huge mistake. I can understand maybe having welts from moving, cause I did that once with my Dad and his leather belt and it left welts on th eback of my legs for a week or more and I couldnt wear pants it hurt so bad. But to use a stick that would wrap around and hit his privates then AD deserves to be punished for it no doubt, thats absolutely wrong.

ANDROMADA 1 09-15-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy (Post 2046587062)
He's guilty of child abuse. I'm not sure what the proper punishment is. That's for the courts to decide. But regardless of his intent, he is guilty of child abuse.

No he isn't. Per Texas law.

"Accidental injury or harm is also excluded from the definition of abuse"

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...hild_abuse.htm

Did he make a mistake?, you bet. Abuse. No. Children are very resilient.

BigBoi23 09-15-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1 (Post 2046587185)

-__-

10char

ANDROMADA 1 09-15-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJones (Post 2046587108)
I don't understand this "know him to be a good person" thing. People are good based on their actions, not by how good they or other people say they are. Someone who beats their kid with a stick and leaves marks that are still visible a week later is not a good person. The things that Rice and Peterson have done are not "mistakes", they're criminal acts. I don't care if you're my brother or my best friend or a professional football player.

How so? Outside of using a logical fallacy that is not possible. A person may or may not violate the law but that particular instance doesn't cast a long shadow on ones overall goodness. Factually speaking he has no record that we have been made aware of that shows he has track record of this behavior. Its not a criminal act and in no way the same as Ray rice case. That being said a little love &Logic goes a long way as well as knowing the law.

mestevo 09-15-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1 (Post 2046587185)

I disagree, he intended to strike the child, accidents in this context are things like the child falling out of his chair and smacking his head.

Brandwin 09-15-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candyman5 (Post 2046587141)
Also to all the people saying about he was 200/300 pounds a day shouldn't of did it, etc. It doesn't matter how big someone is, if a child needs spanked then they get spanked. I never seen anyone go to a scale first and weigh them self before dishing out punishment.

But Peterson didn't spank his child. He whipped him with a switch... quite a bit of difference there.