Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   NCAA Football 10 Video: Powerhouse vs. Weak School (AI vs. AI) (/forums/showthread.php?t=326337)

Steve_OS 06-16-2009 06:17 AM

NCAA Football 10 Video: Powerhouse vs. Weak School (AI vs. AI)

As requested by many, here is another NCAA Football 10 video showing a powerhouse school (Florida) against a weaker school (Utah St.).

FutureVol 06-16-2009 06:33 AM

Re: NCAA Football 10 Video: Powerhouse vs. Weak School (AI vs. AI)

saw some good some bad.. but overall i liked what i saw..around the 8 min mark a reciever gets jammed at the line and it knocks off the timing but he still catches it.
But that is how a game should be..i did not however see as much pressure on the QB as there should have been..there is one play in particular around the 2:20 mark where there are absolutely NO DT's anywhere near the QB and the nearest LB was a good 10 yards away.. and this was over the course of abut 5 seconds he basically had time to go through his progressions 2 times.. NO WAY should a Utah St. o-line have that kind of protection against a top tier SEC defense...ever.. but im just being picky because i play...anywho good stuff overall...

GoToledo 06-16-2009 06:33 AM

Thanks, Steve! I saw a lot of overthrows, which is refreshing. :)
Unfortunately, it is looking like the running game will be absent for the CPU again.

Strummer101er 06-16-2009 06:46 AM

Pursuit angles look good. In 09, that opening kickoff would have gone for 6. Instead, the guy made the tackle.

But it looks like AI playcalling is still gonna be an issue. I've seen two videos where the AI runs on third and long. Utah State shouldn't be running the ball on 3rd-and-7 when they're trailing 20-0. :nono:

Even Joe Montana Sports Talk Football had this playcalling logic figured out.

moylan1234 06-16-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strummer101er (Post 2039710289)
Pursuit angles look good. In 09, that opening kickoff would have gone for 6. Instead, the guy made the tackle

yup that was perfect pursuit angle by him. some nice bad throws as well. real good overall.

gatorman1050 06-16-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strummer101er (Post 2039710289)
Pursuit angles look good. In 09, that opening kickoff would have gone for 6. Instead, the guy made the tackle.

But it looks like AI playcalling is still gonna be an issue. I've seen two videos where the AI runs on third and long. Utah State shouldn't be running the ball on 3rd-and-7 when they're trailing 20-0. :nono:

Even Joe Montana Sports Talk Football had this playcalling logic figured out.

This is really thefirst video where the AI playcalling has been a bit suspect though so I am not that worried about it. Really if you think about it too... Utah St. took a big loss on first down... tried to pickup a good amount on 2nd through the air... and 3rd down I woulda thrown... but I dunno we haven't seen enough footage to see if that is gonna be a common problem with running on 3rd down. I feel like the AI playcalling has improved a good bit this year actually...

J-Unit40 06-16-2009 07:54 AM

Thanks a lot Steve! :cheers:

I like what I saw for the most part in the video. Time for short video OS Breakdown Mode: :cool:

The Good:

- Way better pursuit angles - Yes! On the sweep by Florida and on the KR by James (Who should have broke the kicker's ankles :nono:)
- Good DL pressure on the run game, especially up the gut.
- Tebow runs the offense as he does - pound the bodies between the tackles and make the pitch to Demps when he had it.
- Tebow had a couple overthrows where he didn't connect.
- USU QB also had a couple passes hit the turf
- New stats banners - The Tebow stat banner looked great.
- Good DL pressure on USU QB early, but not so much late.
- It seems like the CPU RBs and QBs actually run with some purpose and don't shuffle their feet in quicksand in the backfield waiting for a 3 yard loss. Finally!
- New tackling animations. I like the one where one of UF's LBs trying to push the RB on the sweep and he didn't fall down, but lost his balance. Very cool looking. That will be nice for hit stick abusers.

Not sure:
- USU playcalling on 3rd down and mid-long.

The Bad:
- Zig zag running by CPU ballcarriers. I just looks awful. EA needs to fix this for next year. Add some momentum or something.
- Iffy DL pressure on USU QB.
- The CPU punter still seems incompetent and very inaccurate, unless he was trying to kick away from James. I can't blame him LOL.
- J. Phillips (K) facemask. Who is that, Jack Lambert? :wink:

mjussawalla 06-16-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoToledo (Post 2039710280)
Thanks, Steve! I saw a lot of overthrows, which is refreshing. :)
Unfortunately, it is looking like the running game will be absent for the CPU again.

I have not seen this video yet, but from the others, the CPU does seem to run the ball much better than last year.

striker3771 06-16-2009 08:11 AM

Thanks for the vid Steve. The "DEFENSE" chants sounds off to me. It makes it feel you're playing an NCAA basketball game than a football game. Did they steal those chants from NCAA Basketball 09 or what?

Strummer101er 06-16-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moylan55 (Post 2039710305)
yup that was perfect pursuit angle by him. some nice bad throws as well. real good overall.

Yeah. Nice to see the defender running to spot where the player will BE, rather than where the player is.

rudyjuly2 06-16-2009 08:27 AM

Nice video but I'm ready for the demo. I do think the lack of a pass rush on default settings will need to be tweaked when we get the game. You see some pass rush at times but probably not enough at default.

Coach Bryant 06-16-2009 08:32 AM

I'm starting to get excited about this game. Especially if the sliders work properly so we can adjust the pass rush. Florida's front 4 should have been able to get a little more pressure than they did. Florida should have one of the best defenses in the country this season, and it should be reflected in the game.

leetdemon 06-16-2009 08:41 AM

Thanks, overall A-

Saw some great improvements over last year, this video got me excited again about this game.

Steve you are the man.

J-Unit40 06-16-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striker3771 (Post 2039710372)
Thanks for the vid Steve. The "DEFENSE" chants sounds off to me. It makes it feel you're playing an NCAA basketball game than a football game. Did they steal those chants from NCAA Basketball 09 or what?

It's probably from Steve's custom stadium sounds. Just a guess though.

rhombic21 06-16-2009 08:56 AM

DL pressure still looks non-existant.

Steve_OS 06-16-2009 08:58 AM

Actually some of the audio will be tweaked before it hits retail, so no worries there.

Happyvally74 06-16-2009 09:15 AM

Sack Plz? I've only seen one sack in all of these videos and that was a glitch by the ai.

callmetaternuts 06-16-2009 09:19 AM

Im a bit concerned with the lack of pressure on the QB. As long as sliders can/will fix it, I can make due. Some of the other stuff looked good, the overthrows, no auto completion like last year.

jdrhammer 06-16-2009 09:44 AM

The punting game still needs some work all the way around IMO. The punter's are terrible on this game. I realize they may have needed to punt away from the return man but it's so cut and dried on the game when there are so many more times when the ball rolls than you see on the game. Special Teams play needs tweaked, big-time. That's a crucial part of the fudamental game.

It also seems like there should be more P & K's in the recruiting database and the P's shouldn't be so terrible.

There were also times in the video where the middle of the field would have been wide open had the QB chosen to take it. Would the DL have been able to slow down the QB?

SHO 06-16-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhombic21 (Post 2039710445)

Agreed.

urlacher51 06-16-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhombic21 (Post 2039710445)

co sign, also what level is the cpu playing ?

SHO 06-16-2009 10:10 AM

I would like to see more User vs. AI games, or better yet User vs. User.

jdrhammer 06-16-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urlacher51 (Post 2039710632)
co sign, also what level is the cpu playing ?

He's ran some of them on Heisman and from seeing how USU stopped Tebow most of the time I'd feel safe guessing it was Heisman.

Dame 06-16-2009 10:14 AM

I cant see the lack of pass rushing on 3 passing plays only. on 2 of them the qb threw the ball quick and on the one where he has time. Florida all went to the outside even the DT's. I dont want extreme pressure on every play because thats not realistic. If the sample size was more like 15 or 20 pass plays and there still was no pressure then I would have a problem.

greenegt 06-16-2009 10:18 AM

Looks pretty solid, overall. Definitely some issues that still need work, but nothing that will kill the game for me. If the sliders work properly this year :y220:, that'll take the game up another notch.

DGuinta1 06-16-2009 10:24 AM

You would think after a great run like that, plenty of teammates would come up to him and celebrate the run. Everyone just goes their own way.

DickDalewood 06-16-2009 10:24 AM

That actually looked pretty good. Florida played like Florida, and did to Utah State what they should do.

That was reassuring.

Strummer101er 06-16-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGuinta1 (Post 2039710681)
You would think after a great run like that, plenty of teammates would come up to him and celebrate the run. Everyone just goes their own way.

Yeah. Team energy and stadium atmosphere still suck. You have to supply the energy yourself.

J-Unit40 06-16-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGuinta1 (Post 2039710681)

I agree. This is one area that really hampers the overall college football atmosphere if you ask me. I want to see RBs and QBs running up to their OL and bumping helmets, WRs and RBs jump bumping and TEAM celebrations.

This is not the individualistic "me first" NFL. This is supposed to be COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

aldogg 06-16-2009 10:53 AM

I read the comments and watched the video; and I really don't see much of a difference from last year to this video. Some new animations but the game still seemed a little faster than it's actually played on Saturdays. (Mostly QB releases came awfully quick and they can still drop back faster than defenders can sprint forward sometimes.) There was also a play where the QB's drop after the snap was faster than the unblocked LB. The QB was able to get a pass off before getting hit, HUH?

I'm sure it's just because this isn't the final build, at least I'm hoping because like everyone else I look forward to this game every year!

KG 06-16-2009 11:02 AM

Not too bad.

Things I like:

1) I liked how @ 3:54 on the TD pass by Tebow the HB picked up the blitzer correctly.

2) Liked seeing incompletions.

3) EA doesn't know how much I appreciate the fact that the WR "catchup" animtion is dead. The one where your WR would magically gain 5yds to catch a pass and create separation.

4)It also looks like LB speed is back to normal.

Things I didn't like:

1) The running animation is horrible. Whether or not it's running between the tackles or on the opening KO it looks bad. NCAA needs to add momentum to the game badly.

2) The QB from USU still had one jump completion off his backfoot right on the money to a WR. I wish they kill that animation.

3) The QB choice plays still develop to slow. The first couple were stuffed immediately when Tebow pulled it back. That QB-HB interaction needs to be smoother.

Drocks 06-16-2009 11:07 AM

Yeah, about the lack of pass rush, there weren't a lot of deep routes during that video. I mean, there was some quick passes more, which kind of negates pass rush. But I like that in doing this, there were multiple off throws, as there should be IMO. Not surprising that USU couldn't get a lot of shots deep as I'm sure their receivers struggled to get open really.

legendkiller5 06-16-2009 11:59 AM

Overall, I liked the video.

Couple gripes though:

1st: I think junit alluded to this earlier, but the lack of atmosphere bothered me. No team celebrations after TD's and big plays.

2nd: This really bothered me from '09: the lack of substitutions when a team is deep at a position. Florida is the perfect example: they have at RB Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey, Emmanuel Moody and even though he really doesn't play a lot at RB, Brandon James. Yet that entire video the only RB I saw playing was Jeff Demps, unless it was the Gator Heavy formation where Rainey was in with Demps. Unless you had 2 RB's that were impact players, the only time a backup would get on the field is if the starter was a IP and lined up in the slot, fatigued or injured. It may not seem like a big deal and I'm not saying it is, but it doesn't make any sense how Demps is rated 90, Rainey is 90, Moody is 89 and James is 86, but yet none of the last three will get any carries, 2 or 3 at the most.

I have this same problem b/c there still aren't any formation subs in the game.

Idr if this could be changed in the sliders for the cpu?

stoncold32 06-16-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_OS (Post 2039710448)
Actually some of the audio will be tweaked before it hits retail, so no worries there.

Does this include the commentary that doesn't seem to have changed much since 2001? :)

KingVMSU 06-16-2009 12:17 PM

Meh, just more of the same.

* No pass rush out of base 4 rush...none.

*Pre determined CPU throws, like Tebow into triple coverage early or over the middle late, play never even developed.

* Awful CPU playcalling logic, a 3rd and 9 dive? A third and 6 dive? C'mon, how hard is this to fix?

*CPU read option is pointless, O-Line is clueless as to who to block and how.

The one positive was the CPU RB's are smarter about getting up field.

This video scares me more than anything we've seen. Very disappointing.

fincane 06-16-2009 12:30 PM

Ripping the CPU's logic for running on 3 and long is faulty. It happens all the time IRL and coaches come under the same scrutiny. Why wouldn't it happen in this game? Overmatched teams will try to limit the damage in blowouts all the time. Protect their QBs. Now you can argue that this is not being done here. But running on 3rd and long doesn't mean the AI is screwed up. Plenty of coaches who think they are smarter than anyone else run in those situations.

KingVMSU 06-16-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fincane (Post 2039711141)
Ripping the CPU's logic for running on 3 and long is faulty. It happens all the time IRL and coaches come under the same scrutiny. Why wouldn't it happen in this game? Overmatched teams will try to limit the damage in blowouts all the time. Protect their QBs. Now you can argue that this is not being done here. But running on 3rd and long doesn't mean the AI is screwed up. Plenty of coaches who think they are smarter than anyone else run in those situations.

Yeah...it;s called a drawe, a trap, or a delay...not a dive.

Nice try kid.

mjussawalla 06-16-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fincane (Post 2039711141)

Good point. Sometimes running on 3rd and long catches the D off guard - resulting in a 1st down. But this needs to be used sparingly.

fincane 06-16-2009 12:41 PM

Its called limiting damage and protecting your team. Prime example Miami vs. Florida this past season. Patrick Nix was a below average OC but Miami did everything they could offensively to not make a mistake and get the game to the fourth. Did a good job of it to. It was 9-3 going in. Coaches won't admit it but plenty of them know they have no shot to win a ball game and at some point its about cutting your losses. I doubt that applies to this game. But running the ball when its third and medium or long is not evidence of bad logic. The Panthers v Raiders video has Ian running on 3rd and medium multiple times.

Tovarich 06-16-2009 12:52 PM

Utah State's first drive where they pass on 2nd and 16 or so...the USU WR has AMAZING versatility/reaction time. He has his momentum going inside, but in one step, jumps in the other direction to catch a ball that's thrown well behind him. It's nice that passes appear to be less accurate, but if all these dumb things are going to happen, it's pointless. All 3 times that the QB has been hit in the various videos, it's been caught by someone and it's gone right to them.

Screens still look bad. Utah State's QB had a couple plays where he could have run 15 yards up the middle because there wasn't anyone in sight, but he still chucks it into double coverage anyway.

As for all that atmosphere talk...everyone is spot on. Someone at EA go watch that Florida-Georgia game a couple years ago, and see what teams look like when they score and make a big play. I would pass it off in this video as being Florida doesn't get too excited about Utah State, but I know it has nothing to do with that.