Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=579)
-   -   Dowie's HOF Set: Clean Screen, Directional, Classic, (/forums/showthread.php?t=1000815)

dowie 08-24-2022 02:09 PM

Dowie's HOF Set: Clean Screen, Directional, Classic,

Hi Y'all,

I am by no means a slider expert, but I've engaged with all the top slider experts on OS for what seems like forever, and have been playing The Show for over 10+ years.

I'm a 48 year old diehard baseball fan who, "recently" purchased a PS5 and MLBTS 22. After trying so hard to get this game to play the way I want (key point, how I want), I am going to take a stab at my own slider set for the very first time. For reference, I've always used Armor's, JoshC's, TNK's or Mike Lowe's in years past. For some reason, very few of us, have found baseball nirvana with this version of the game......if you have, kudos "you're lucky"!

Disclaimer: I know MLB20 is the goat, but because "bluengold" has created all the AAA stadiums (stellar work), and is in the process of creating all the AA stadiums, I can't give up on this game. I like to play all my team's MLB/AAA/AA games.

I approach this game nearly the same as Armor (and probably a ton of others).
Clean screen - HOF level - Directional Hitting (MLB15 batting view), Classic Pitching (broadcast view w/ no vibration or ball marker) auto fielding (broadcast view & auto shift) manual baserunning (think it's called assist) and manual throwing (no meter), full minors roster set.

I use all of Armor's 30-team control "franchise house rules/edits etc". If you aren't familiar with those, please visit his 2020 or 2022 OS slider threads. He's built an awesome community, and there's great insight in those threads (or his Twitch streams).

OK, let's get to it. Here's my plan: I am going to start with a base slider set and play (not sim) every matchup of the 1st day of the season (skip spring training). I'm going to flip a coin to choose which team I play with in any given matchup, so I get to play w/ good teams/bad teams/home games and away games. I am going to track my stats on a per game basis and list them here, so others can see what I am experiencing.

What I want to see (I know it'll never be perfect, and it's just averages, so it won't happen every game) is the following (based on MLB averages):

25% swing & miss p/team
62-65 strike percentages p/team
roughly 295 pitches thrown per game/147 per team
average 54 fouls per game (15-18% of swings should result in a foul)
If I can accomplish close to this, I expect the rest of the stats to fall into place.

Obviously, I want to keep an eye on steal success, # of steal attempts, BB's, K's, wonky fielding animations, fielding and throwing errors, IF singles (or lack thereof), hit distribution (too many or too few xbh's/hr's), but I'll measure that mostly by eye test mores than a specific MLB average. We all kind of know what hit distribution should look like.

UPDATED VERSION USING ALL STAR, NOT HOF

USER SETTINGS:
C 5
P 5
T 5
F 3
H 5
SP 7
RP 7
CONT 6
CONS 6

CPU SETTINGS:
C 5
P 5
T 5
F 3
H 5
SP 7
RP 7
CONT 6
CONS 6
K 5
HOOK 6
POFFS 5

GLOBAL SETTINGS:
FPS 7 (BASED ON MLB 15 HITTING VIEW)
OPS 7 (SEE ABOVE)
FEI 6 (moved all 4 error sliders to 6 after game 3)
FEO 6
TEI 6
TEO 6
FRS 4
FRCT 4
FASI 4
FASO 5
BRS 4
BSA 7
BSF 5
WIND 5
INJ IN GAME 8
INJ SIM 6

Hope y'all enjoy the thread.

Dowie

dowie 08-24-2022 02:22 PM

Re: Dowie's HOF Set: Clean Screen, Directional, Classic,

Game #1 of day #1
Yankees (cpu) at Rangers (me)
Cole vs Gray

NYY 7 runs, 13 hits, 0 errors
TXS 3 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors

NYY: 4 2b, 2 hr, 5 bb, 10k, 1 sac fly, 1 sb, .325 batting avg.
TXS: 2 2b, 1 hr, 2 bb, 9k, 2 hbp (damn you Cole), .182 batting avg.

NYY: 151 pitches thrown, 62% strikes, 70% 1st pitch strikes
TXS: 183 pitches thrown, 62% strikes, 62% 1st pitch strikes

NYY: 16% fouls, 26% swing and miss
TXS: 19% fouls, 32% swing and miss

Thoughts:

I wouldn't expect to beat the Bronx Bombers, and I didn't. Both of NYY's HR's were hanging breaking balls, and Judge, Stanton and Donaldson were the batters in the lineup that hit the ball with the most authority (as expected).

I liked how the OFers played....quite a few bloop hits, and they got to balls that hung in the air a long time.

Seager and Semein both made great diving stops, so though I lowered field run spd & rct, the really good defenders still made highlight reel plays.

what looks promising: ball physics, lack of HR's and a lot of singles (which has plagued this years game IMO).

Game #2 and hopefully #3 will be posted before 2am tonight.

Oh, I forgot to add this in the 1st page: I am not messing around with bullpen alignment while I test).

Dowie

dowie 08-24-2022 06:26 PM

Game #2 of day #1 of MLB season
Cardinals (me) at Pirates (cpu)
Flaherty vs Thompson

SL 1 runs, 3 hits, 0 errors
PIT 0 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors

SL: 1hr, 2bb, 5k, 1CS, 1sb, .103 batting avg.
PIT: 1 2b, 1 bb, 12k, 2 SB, .212 batting avg.

SL: 138 pitches thrown, 64% strikes, 47% 1st pitch strikes
PIT: 119 pitches thrown, 63% strikes, 55% 1st pitch strikes

SL: 18% fouls, 24% swing and miss
PIT: 21% fouls, 23% swing and miss

Thoughts:

Pitchers duel in a pitcher friendly park (multiple balls caught at the track). DeJong has a terrible rated arm for a SS, and 2 balls in the hole (he got to), but runner beat the throw out....I love that! The cpu went 1st to 3rd twice, and it was the right call each time....love that too! Both SP's ran outta gas when appropriate based on their stam ratings. I hit a ton of towering FB's (solid hits too low?). I know not every game should or will play out the same...just keeping an eye on it. Could be placebo, but in the final 3 innings i started to influence the swing (pressing down), and I hit a couple line drives. Again, could be placebo, but I wonder if the game is programmed to take into account real MLB hitter's fascination with launch angle and hitting the ball into the air. So two games in, and two radically different games. Like what I am experiencing so far.

Dowie

Mikeyo918 08-24-2022 06:43 PM

I would recommended doing the bullpen assignment. CPU logic benefits well from it.

dowie 08-24-2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyo918 (Post 2050642406)
I would recommended doing the bullpen assignment. CPU logic benefits well from it.

care to copy/paste it here for me?

Dowie

Mikeyo918 08-24-2022 07:25 PM

Bullpen Usage

Bigdawg1690 shared his bullpen setup with us and we are using that for our franchise. It lets the AI use MRP guys in the middle innings instead of always their LRP. You have to do 30 man control and set lineups to manual. Otherwise, they will reset the spots. We have tested this and the AI will bring in their MRP guys in tied or close games in the 5th or 6th innings. They will even bring in their good RP when they are losing in a close game. Please feel free to ask us if you have any questions.

Put your 3 lowest rated RP pitchers that have less than 40 stamina in the 3 LRP spots.
Take out all the pitchers in the SU1 and SU2 spots.
Put your closer in the closer spot like normal.
Put your highest rated RP’s in the MRP spots.
I put the LRP pitcher in the MRP3 or MRP4 spot.

dowie 08-24-2022 08:20 PM

I appreciate that, thank you.

I’ll be playing game 3 tonight around 11:30pm CST (write up will come immediately after).

I Will start implementing this AI BP set up & try to keep notes on that as well.

Dowie

bryanm1982 08-24-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyo918 (Post 2050642437)
Bullpen Usage

Bigdawg1690 shared his bullpen setup with us and we are using that for our franchise. It lets the AI use MRP guys in the middle innings instead of always their LRP. You have to do 30 man control and set lineups to manual. Otherwise, they will reset the spots. We have tested this and the AI will bring in their MRP guys in tied or close games in the 5th or 6th innings. They will even bring in their good RP when they are losing in a close game. Please feel free to ask us if you have any questions.

Put your 3 lowest rated RP pitchers that have less than 40 stamina in the 3 LRP spots.
Take out all the pitchers in the SU1 and SU2 spots.
I put the LRP pitcher in the MRP3 or MRP4 spot.

I updated it. The new setup is below.

Put your 2 lowest rated RP pitchers that have less than 40 stamina in the 2 LRP spots.
Put your best setup man in the SU1 spot.
I put the LRP pitcher in the MRP4 spot.