Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Will the NFC be as bad next year? (/forums/showthread.php?t=112045)

Feared 02-07-2005 09:41 PM

Will the NFC be as bad next year?

Now that the superbowl is over as i look back on the year i see that the NFC was just flat out horrible this year, no need to really explain that. However i feel that until teams like Seattle, Minnesota clean up their acts and start being consistent i feel like its gonna be total domination by Philly and Atlanta all next year like it was this year, and a slew of mediocre 8-8 teams scrambling to make the playoffs at the end of next season. If you take a closer look you see that teams have alot of question marks on 1 side of the ball teams like Chicago and Washington have suffocating defenses but horrible offenses, will teams like Minnesota and Green Bay are stacked on offense but have non existant defenses.

My initial outlook on next season is that the Eagles will still be the most dominant teams in the NFC along with Atlanta if Vick stays healthy, (if Vick missed 4-5 games the Falcs could easily drop down to a 9-7 team) Next year i feel Minnesota will overtake Green Bay in the NFC North race as the Pack just have too many question marks like Brett Favre retiring, maybe this will be his last season if he comes back, and a defense that will take leaps and bounds to improve. I see St. Louis as a shaky 9-7 team at best next year right now they have so many question marks on defense and o-line,expecting Seattle to win that division barring chokes.

Look out for Detroit, New Orleans, or Washington as surprise teams in the NFC if they get hot on a roll they might be able to sneak into the playoffs. Post any feedback on a early outlook toward the nfc next season.

zappa55 02-07-2005 09:48 PM

Re: Will the NFC be as bad next year?

I can see Carolina being tough next year. They suffered through a lot of key injuries. With some of there injured players back they will be a playoff team again.

Feared 02-07-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zappa55
I can see Carolina being tough next year. They suffered through a lot of key injuries. With some of there injured players back they will be a playoff team again.

yup take a look at 1 of the 16 teams that made this playoffss this year, im almost positive the injury bug will hit 1 of em next season and knock out alot of key players, like it did to carolina this season, and potentially keep them out of the playoffs.

Carolina will be pretty nasty i expect to see em as the 5 seed in the nfc next year, Peppers is a beast plus they get Jenkins back on D-line, and they're #1 WR Smith. Keep an eye out to see how the Muhsin Muhammad situation turns out he's a veteran that still has alot of talent left and if carolina doesnt give him some $$$ this off season to award him for the numbers he put up he might just walk..as Steve Smith is the number one guy out there, Washington or Ny Giants might pick up Muhsin.

dieselboy 02-07-2005 10:09 PM

As bad? Probably not.

But the AFC should continue to be the superior conference.

NYJets 02-07-2005 10:10 PM

I could see the Lions being a playoff team next year.

Feared 02-07-2005 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYJets
I could see the Lions being a playoff team next year.

The Lions are a up n coming team they started out the season pretty good this season going 2-0 before they got whomped by the eagles, they even beat the Falcons 17-10 if you can remember. That offense has some beasts in Kevin Jones and Roy Williams, if they pick up a dominant LB in that draft this year, and can get some consistency at the QB position from Harrington (Joey needs to step up and be the guy in detroit or else they might look for a replacement this season) i can easily see em getting some more W's which a 8-8 record should be good enough next year in the NFC. They need to keep up owning chicago swept the series 2-0, and steal 1 from green bay and minny and then they might be a playoff team.

SPTO 02-07-2005 10:38 PM

If things break right for them and they get a proven QB then Arizona will be a surprising team in the NFC. I like what Denny Green is doing there. They didn't have too bad of a defense while the offense wasn't so hot mainly cuz they don't have a good QB.

Feared 02-07-2005 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsmanTO
If things break right for them and they get a proven QB then Arizona will be a surprising team in the NFC. I like what Denny Green is doing there. They didn't have too bad of a defense while the offense wasn't so hot mainly cuz they don't have a good QB.

hmm good point, i'm actually thinking next season Arizona will overtake St. Louis in the division and give Seattle a good run for their money (call me crazy) but the NFC west was considered the weakest division by many. They have some decent building blocks to work woth both on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, fitz, boldin, berry (whoes a premiere DE in the league), and Adrian Wilson whose coming into his own at the safety spot.

How ever they have some key question marks as well with Emmitt Smith retiring, they have no running back, and i'm not sold on Josh McCown as a starting QB. The dilema here is to keep building a defense that might be solid in a few years, the have a base with wilson, berry, dockett, or do they search for a replacement in the draft at rb, i wouldnt be surprised if az. check into the drew brees situation in SD.