Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden Wishlist's Computerized Mock Draft (/forums/showthread.php?t=123056)

spin16 04-17-2005 08:44 AM

Madden Wishlist's Computerized Mock Draft

Hey guys,

The Admins over at Madden Wishlist have developed a computerized mock draft based on player ratings in Madden. We wanted to demonstrate some explicit ways that EA could improve the draft in Madden, and it also seemed like a fun thing to do leading up to draft day. So, we rewrote the draft logic from the ground up. There is some randomness in the script, so it produces a different result every time. We've posted our best run of the script here:

http://www.maddenwishlist.com/draft/

And you can also rerun the script and produce new results here:

http://www.maddenwishlist.com/draft/draft.pl

It's not perfect, but we think it's a fair bit better than Madden 2005's logic. We're curious to know what you all think!

caero 04-17-2005 09:28 AM

Re: Madden Wishlist's Computerized Mock Draft

cool stuff. I will try this one out.

caero 04-17-2005 09:35 AM

Ok I have just read through it all.

Have you proposed any of this to Tiburon?

I think this could be done to the game as you already seem to have made a good formula that calculates needs etc.

Maybe you should post this at maddenmania and maddenplanet as I think the admins there have a really tight relationship with Tiburon.

spin16 04-17-2005 09:42 AM

The purpose of Madden Wishlist used to be a forum for getting ideas to the producers -- unfortunately we don't have the time to administer that side of it anymore, but we did this project just for fun. In any case, we've already sent the code over to the head honchos at EA Tiburon, though I wouldn't expect it to be in 2006 -- maybe 2007 if they like it.

LBzrule 04-17-2005 09:53 AM

I'll forward it to someone right now. Done!!

bangpow 04-17-2005 09:57 AM

Wow, that's some serious ish right there. Very impressive.

spin16 04-17-2005 10:11 AM

Cool, glad you guys like it. I hope to post an update later today, to encourage more trading. LBzrule, who'd you send it to?

warnerwlf98 04-17-2005 10:34 AM

Spin, you've done a great job here. It's well thought out and produces believeable results. All that, and it was incorporated into an algorithm with zero user interaction - click and go.

I only wish I could formulate something with those details for my grad work. Only I wish I was writing a draft simulator instead of a biological signal classification program (significantly harder).

We can only hope that some developer will incorporate your code. Great job!