Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Just played the most frustrating game ever (/forums/showthread.php?t=134303)

LetsGo0akland 07-27-2005 06:36 AM

Just played the most frustrating game ever

1997 Florida State (CPU) 37
1997 Michigan (myself) 27

Griese was 10 of 36 for 258 yards, 2 TDs and 3 INTs
Busby was 32 of 40 for 352 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT (he could not be stopped)

Sebastian Janikowski was 5 for 5 with a long of 53-yards. He was always in great field position. They scored two touchdowns off long passes, and another off a 10-yard run following an interception.

My halfback Howard averaged 0.5 yards per carry! Sam Cowart was unstoppable. He sacked me twice in the first quarter alone. If I could get the pass off, my receivers would drop it. WR Shaw dropped three or four first down balls alone. Late in the fourth quarter, I forced a fumble inside my own 20-yard line. After back-to-back sacks (my left side of the line was horrible), it's third and long on my own 2-yard line. I send WR Knight on a fly route. I see him open at the first down marker, throw it to him, and he drops it! Knowing there is not enough time to force a stop, and down by 7, I went for it, and of course it was dropped.

I felt like the refs were working against me the whole time. There was rampant defensive P.I. on the CPU that was never called. I would estimate as many as six or seven that should have been caught if it wasn't for the CPU's P.I. (holding my guy back, bumping him out of his route and away from the ball). On top of all the drops, that explains Griese's low completion rate. That, and Sam Cowart was like the wind!

Overall a good game, however, extremely frustrating. They were 9 of 15 on third down conversions while I was 2 for 12. Charles Woodson took a kickoff return to the house but two plays later they got their seven back. I felt like I just could not win this game: they stopped the run, my guys weren't catching anything, the refs were not calling penalties in my favor (yet I had 12 for 120 yards), turnovers (some were ridiculous... ball batted like 10 yards and caught by a linebacker), I picked one off at the goaline and fell into the endzone but they spotted me at the 2-yard line, and of course, I could not move the ball (running was out of the question, I was getting stopped at the line of scrimmage AT BEST whenever I ran the ball).

If my girlfriend wasn't asleep, the expletives would have been heard on the East Coast. Losing ain't bad, I do not have a problem with that, but when it's you against everything in the game, you just want to beat someone over the head with a baseball bat, jab a kitchen knife into their chest, run over them with a car, and shoot them in the head at point blank range! Argh! :mad:

By the way, after I punted the ball to their half-yard line, they formed in an I-Formation. I came out in a goaline set to try to force a safety and they picked up on the blitz and audibled into a shotgun formation, but not really. QB Thad Busby dropped back into the shotgun but his HB Feaster and FB were still lined up in the I-Formation. Here's a couple pictures:

I also have a video. You have to pause it at the very beginning to tell. I was having trouble holding the camera steady and rotating the instant replay camera correctly.

EXboxur 07-27-2005 06:51 AM

Re: Just played the most frustrating game ever

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpanishFly
By the way, after I punted the ball to their half-yard line, they formed in an I-Formation. I came out in a goaline set to try to force a safety and they picked up on the blitz and audibled into a shotgun formation, but not really. QB Thad Busby dropped back into the shotgun but his HB Feaster and FB were still lined up in the I-Formation. Here's a couple pictures:

I also have a video. You have to pause it at the very beginning to tell. I was having trouble holding the camera steady and rotating the instant replay camera correctly.

Wow, that looks weird.

Just out of curiosity, what sliders are you using now?

LetsGo0akland 07-27-2005 06:55 AM

Ones I spent two weeks working on. They are pretty good for someone who isn't exactly the greatest player like myself. I put up big games as good teams versus bad teams (59-7, 63-14, 48-3) and close games between more equal teams (UF 38, FSU 35; UA 24, ASU 21; USC 28, Notre Dame 21; Ohio State 21, Michigan 17).

This was by far the worst statistical output on the ground for me, hands down. Probably worst output in terms of completion percentage, but had a lot of yards due to long passes (two of which went for touchdowns).

jdawg131 07-27-2005 08:04 AM

That sucks SpanishFly; I feel your pain. This weekend I was playing Race for the Heisman with my beloved Noles against Boston College. I came into the game 1-1 (Miami beat me 38-9) and they did too. I was dominating them in the first half; I was up 35-7 at the half. I started with the ball in the second half and was driving on them. I did a pitch to the weak side with Booker and he fumbled the ball. No biggie since I forced them to a three and out. They punt the ball and Willie Reid fumbles the punt inside my own 25. I hold them to just a field goal. After the kickoff, I start to move the ball again until I hand the ball off to Washington. He fumbles the ball when I run a HB Tackle to the right. The ball shoots 10 yards into the air and lands directly into the hands of one of their linebackers. I could not stop them from scoring a touchdown. My next possession, I run a play action fake; the entire defense bites and I throw a strike to Reid. One of the their linebackers comes out of nowhere and bats the ball into the air and a safety picks it off. Since it was inside my own 20 yard line, they score a touchdown on their next possession. I was starting to get frustrated since I had turned the ball over on my first 4 offensive possessions of the second half. On my next possession, I throw a bomb to Willie Reid; of course when he gets tackled, he fumbles the football. 5 third quater possessions, 5 turnovers; my 35-7 dominance was now 35-24 at then end of the third. That third quater was one of the most ridiculous quaters of video game football that I have ever played. I went on to win the game 42-24, but Booker had to fumble the ball one more time when I was driving. I ended up with 7 turnovers; 5 lost fumbles (I had two other fumbles that I was able to recover) and 2 INTS. It was pretty absurd.

mjdiggy 07-27-2005 11:53 PM

In regards to the formation weirdness... something similar has happened with me. It happens because the opposing crowd is loud, and your players don't hear the signal. So the QB shifts formation, but no one else does. That's my theory, anyway.

RubenDouglas 07-28-2005 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjdiggy
In regards to the formation weirdness... something similar has happened with me. It happens because the opposing crowd is loud, and your players don't hear the signal. So the QB shifts formation, but no one else does. That's my theory, anyway.

lol isnt that illegal formation? or illegal placement of players.

step your game up EA:waytogo:

LetsGo0akland 07-28-2005 06:29 AM

"If it's in the game, we'll get to it in three years. In the meantime, play with this half-assed mode for now."