Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   What sold me on NFL 2K4 (/forums/showthread.php?t=135057)

DawgcityClev 08-02-2005 12:48 AM

What sold me on NFL 2K4

This was my first time playing the 2K series, when I picked up NFL 2K4 after being fed up with Madden's silliness long enough. Initially, the transition was completely weird, as I was trying to play Madden, on NFL 2K4..lol

I started gradually getting it, and within an hour or so I was already 2-0 online. I was like WOW, I move to anther game and win? I was still not sold, as the players robotic movements pissed me off, and the player models just weren't there.

HERE IS WHAT SOLD ME: I went to the First Person View. All else went to the wayside after that. I was in football Heaven. If anyone has played football, this Mode alone should've won you over. Sim ballers that I spoke with, raved about it, but said many people were afraid to play it, which I found out. Most wanted the 3rd person *cheese* mode. One guy even told me, "I need to see the entire field". I replied, unless you're the Bionic Man dude, that's not realistic anyway. You're only gonna see so much. Especially on a football field at full speed.

When I purchased NFL 2K5, and they fixed the running, I admit I became an immediate EA basher, finally being in the comfort of an actual FOOTBALL game as I call it. I notice Madden fans making insults as to "we are gonna play this for the next 5 years." They really have no clue as to how great NFL 2K5 has become with this license. When Tecmo Bowl was over, Tecmo Super Bowl became an immediate icon in the football gaming world. NFL 2K5 was great, and I mean GREAT. I tweaked the rosters for myself, it took 4 hours, but I now have basically this year's NFL teams ready to go, without the 2nd-7th round Draft picks unfortunately. But that's what edit rookies is for, and I applaud Take 2/Visual Concepts for giving us this benefit.

LONG LIVE ESPN NFL 2K5!!!!

gooberstabone 08-02-2005 12:45 PM

Re: What sold me on NFL 2K4

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgcityClev
This was my first time playing the 2K series, when I picked up NFL 2K4 after being fed up with Madden's silliness long enough. Initially, the transition was completely weird, as I was trying to play Madden, on NFL 2K4..lol

I started gradually getting it, and within an hour or so I was already 2-0 online. I was like WOW, I move to anther game and win? I was still not sold, as the players robotic movements pissed me off, and the player models just weren't there.

HERE IS WHAT SOLD ME: I went to the First Person View. All else went to the wayside after that. I was in football Heaven. If anyone has played football, this Mode alone should've won you over. Sim ballers that I spoke with, raved about it, but said many people were afraid to play it, which I found out. Most wanted the 3rd person *cheese* mode. One guy even told me, "I need to see the entire field". I replied, unless you're the Bionic Man dude, that's not realistic anyway. You're only gonna see so much. Especially on a football field at full speed.

When I purchased NFL 2K5, and they fixed the running, I admit I became an immediate EA basher, finally being in the comfort of an actual FOOTBALL game as I call it. I notice Madden fans making insults as to "we are gonna play this for the next 5 years." They really have no clue as to how great NFL 2K5 has become with this license. When Tecmo Bowl was over, Tecmo Super Bowl became an immediate icon in the football gaming world. NFL 2K5 was great, and I mean GREAT. I tweaked the rosters for myself, it took 4 hours, but I now have basically this year's NFL teams ready to go, without the 2nd-7th round Draft picks unfortunately. But that's what edit rookies is for, and I applaud Take 2/Visual Concepts for giving us this benefit.

LONG LIVE ESPN NFL 2K5!!!!

You know, I think I'll have to give First Person Football another try.

Tell me, did you update the rosters manually? If so, how, I don't have Action Replay or whatever. What about this year's schedules?

I'll tell you, what sold me on the series was watching NFL 2K play on the Dreamcast. I bought that system just for that game. It was beautiful. Even the presentation was top notch and lifelike-- with Sega Sports overlays no less.

P.S. What don't you like about the player models?

daflyboys 08-02-2005 01:15 PM

3rd person is not necessarily cheese mode. And though I see your point about perspective and peripheral vision, for me FPF didn't cut it because there isn't enough peripheral. Top notch athletes have stellar PV, which is not apparent in FPF. I think that if you want the best of both words, stay in normal mode but bring the camera down to just behind the QB/RB's head.... it's the beauty of both...believe me.

rudyjuly2 08-02-2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daflyboys
3rd person is not necessarily cheese mode.

I agree. I found seeing the field when passing was too hard. Running the ball was fun and defense was fun but passing was very tough. I hope that future football titles have a 3rd person defensive cam (at least when playing a one person game). It would be cool to be the MLB and see the O-line come at you and not up the screen from the RB perspective.

Edit: What did you mean Dawg when you said they fixed the running game in 2K5? Were you just talking about the broken tackles?

Keirik 08-02-2005 10:32 PM

while i love 2k5 and always prefer that to any madden rendition, 3rd person is hardly cheese mode. Right there some credibility of the thread is lost with that comment.

Other than that, the game itself was and still is great. Having said that, i'm sure i'll be popping it in from time to time for a good whirl.

I'm just darn happy football season is almost here.

slickdtc 08-02-2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree. I found seeing the field when passing was too hard. Running the ball was fun and defense was fun but passing was very tough. I hope that future football titles have a 3rd person defensive cam (at least when playing a one person game). It would be cool to be the MLB and see the O-line come at you and not up the screen from the RB perspective.

Edit: What did you mean Dawg when you said they fixed the running game in 2K5? Were you just talking about the broken tackles?

I never really thought about that. Having the defense at the bottom of the screen. Cool idea. But what happens if you are in coverage?

Kanobi 08-03-2005 01:14 AM

Quote:

Top notch athletes have stellar PV, which is not apparent in FPF.

Top notch athletes...football players...also have stellar instincts and feel for the game and that is part of their "vision". FPF doesn't capture full peripheral vision in terms of a person not wearing a football helmet but does come close to the vision one with a Helmet on.

I also like what VC did in using the "Threat Arrows" to indicate where defenders/blockers are. This somewhat re-creates the affect of one using instincts and sensing or "feeling" where the heat is coming from. This is depicted best when playing as the Quarterback.

However, I'd love to have seen them take the threat arrows a step further though...gradually enhancing the vibration of the controller to show proximity. Maybe trashing the arrows altogether and going with some type of radius interface...maybe some auto-head turning based on the player's awareness. Theres countless things to try here.

Quote:

I think that if you want the best of both words, stay in normal mode but bring the camera down to just behind the QB/RB's head.... it's the beauty of both...believe me.

That's a great way for newcomers to make the transition from "God Mode" to FPF. FP isn't for everybody and going straight from 3rd person to FPM is tough because you're stripped of all the luxuries that come with an all-seeing eye.

Plus FPF is just so dam Raw. Theres really no ease of transition at all. A tutorial would have helped immensely...some drills for each position perhaps...anything to help people get comfortable.

As for that camera angle... I used to use it before FPF was introduced and it was cool for a spell but didn't cut it at all because you're still in 3rd person. With that view you get more vision than is realistic and beyond ANY athlete who wasn't raised at Charles Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters.

I'm sure any QB would love to be able to watch their own backs and so would general managers...as they wouldn't have to invest 1st rd draft picks or Crazy Bonus Money trying to aquire a qaulity Left Tackle to protect the "Blindside" of their Franchise Player. But that simply isn't the case.

Slightly less peripheral than what's realistic? Not a problem IMO. Give me the challenge and put me in the helmet. The sense of accomplishment and intensity that accompanies the experiences (sacks, ints, goalline stands, engineering a game-winning drive, kicking a game-winning FG, game-changing kick return, etc) while playing in that mode...you simply cannot get with any other mode or camera because it simply isn't FP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I found seeing the field when passing was too hard.

I agree. Thank god for QB scan in 2k5.

My advice would be to move around...look for opportuntiies to step up and let the pocket move past you...you'll see the field better and may have an opportunity to scramble and pick up yds.

Use the arrows! Especially against teams like Carolina, New England, Jacksonville, Pittsburg, Philly and Baltimore. If you don't then you're toast.

QB scan helps but so does reading the coverage and knowing where your wr's are supposed to be helps also. It requires some memorization of routes and timing but once you get it ...passing becomes very rewarding and addictive.

BTW my apologies for the excessively long post, fellas. But I get amped talking about FP football. I admit theres plenty of room for improvement but for those looking for a challenge and fresh experiences with 2k4 and/or 2k5, I suggest giving FPF a go. And if you have any questions just shoot me a pm. :waytogo:

RoyalBoyle78 08-03-2005 01:27 AM

Well to tell you the truth I picked NFL2k5 up again yesterday and I played it last night for the first time in months, I played it for like 2 hours, thats the longest I played any game in a long time. Anyway after playing NCAA 2006 amd loving it, and then just rebuying NFL2k5 again and just seeing what a great it really was, I had so much fun again like the game just came out again, It was nice to play 2K5 again. I got new rosters and I think I may run a season right now. I realized how much this game really played like real football, and how great it looked too . Oh well...... :waytogo: