Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Here is the problem... (/forums/showthread.php?t=136328)

nylawyer 08-10-2005 10:09 AM

Here is the problem...

Played the game for a few hours last night...honestly, last year I thought Madden had a slight edge over 2K5 in terms of AI/gameplay but 2K5 was so much better in terms of presentation and fun.

The bottom line, there is just no way this is worth $50 in terms of an upgrade. EA is doing the bare minimum to keep sales up. Take a look at the ESPN NFL series leap from 2K4 to 2K5, it was huge. EA had the exclusive license, so there was no incentive to spend dollars on huge upgrades. Let's look at upgrades and the non upgrades:

1. QB Cone - This does not seem to be a huge task to upgrade. It is still basically the same passing engine, only where there is a light shining completion percentage is higher and where there isn't one, it is lower. This does not seem like it needed 12 months of development to implement.

2. Superstar mode - It pulls together some of the minigames and adds some fluff regarding emails, agents etc. Again, nice extra but does not seem revolutionary.

3. Precision passing - Nice tweak to the passing game. I would consider this a further refinement of what was already in the game.

4. A few more audibles, hot routes, truck stick and line shifting - very nice but largely building on what was already there or in NCAA.

What was untouched and in some cases downgraded:

1. I hate the presentation. I hate the fact that replays are infrequent and often times half screen only. How awesome was the 2k5 presentation? In Madden, you are lucky to get an update about how many yards the running back ran for. I expected a lot more here.

2. The play by play. In fact, I think Madden has less commentary here than ever before. I can go back to 2002 where he at least would discuss certain players and how good they were.

3. As far as I can tell, the CPU does not use formations. You will never see the wideouts shift the sides of the field or a HB lined up at WR. Come on EA....NCAA has this which I thought was an awesome feature.

4. Playbooks are better but EA does not really capture the team feel. For example, the Falcons run Duckett and Dunn a lot. When you play the Falcons, you get Dunn until he gets tired. It would be nice to have some specific formations for Duckett.

5. Sliders. We have had the same freaking sliders for 7 years. Can't we get some more control over other variables (e.g. punt return blocking, QB long, short, medium etc.)

6. Coaches. I loved the VIP concept in 2k5. We should be able to program profiles for each NFL coach, e.g how often they run on first down, second down etc.

7. More atmosphere for big games. Have some different commentary when the teams are battling first etc.

8. Player ratings. For 7 years, we have had the same ratings. Take QB's, accuracy and power. As we all know there are some QB's who are great at the short pass but not great at the long pass etc. How about a crunch time rating? Let's show some creativity here for once.

Basically, I like the game, but I think EA aimed very low in terms of improvements so they can continue to milk the cow. This is why it stinks to not have competition in football gaming. I know it will never happen but it would be nice for people to just not buy the game for one year. Would I have liked to download this update off of XBOX Live with new rosters for $20? Absolutely. I just do not believe it is worth $50.

Hopefully, I can save some of you some money. Download some new rosters for Madden 2005 and 2k5 and you will have just as much, if not more, fun than Madden 2006.

edaddy 08-10-2005 10:30 AM

Re: Here is the problem...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nylawyer
Played the game for a few hours last night...honestly, last year I thought Madden had a slight edge over 2K5 in terms of AI/gameplay but 2K5 was so much better in terms of presentation and fun.

The bottom line, there is just no way this is worth $50 in terms of an upgrade. EA is doing the bare minimum to keep sales up. Take a look at the ESPN NFL series leap from 2K4 to 2K5, it was huge. EA had the exclusive license, so there was no incentive to spend dollars on huge upgrades. Let's look at upgrades and the non upgrades:

1. QB Cone - This does not seem to be a huge task to upgrade. It is still basically the same passing engine, only where there is a light shining completion percentage is higher and where there isn't one, it is lower. This does not seem like it needed 12 months of development to implement.

2. Superstar mode - It pulls together some of the minigames and adds some fluff regarding emails, agents etc. Again, nice extra but does not seem revolutionary.

3. Precision passing - Nice tweak to the passing game. I would consider this a further refinement of what was already in the game.

4. A few more audibles, hot routes, truck stick and line shifting - very nice but largely building on what was already there or in NCAA.

What was untouched and in some cases downgraded:

1. I hate the presentation. I hate the fact that replays are infrequent and often times half screen only. How awesome was the 2k5 presentation? In Madden, you are lucky to get an update about how many yards the running back ran for. I expected a lot more here.

2. The play by play. In fact, I think Madden has less commentary here than ever before. I can go back to 2002 where he at least would discuss certain players and how good they were.

3. As far as I can tell, the CPU does not use formations. You will never see the wideouts shift the sides of the field or a HB lined up at WR. Come on EA....NCAA has this which I thought was an awesome feature.

4. Playbooks are better but EA does not really capture the team feel. For example, the Falcons run Duckett and Dunn a lot. When you play the Falcons, you get Dunn until he gets tired. It would be nice to have some specific formations for Duckett.

5. Sliders. We have had the same freaking sliders for 7 years. Can't we get some more control over other variables (e.g. punt return blocking, QB long, short, medium etc.)

6. Coaches. I loved the VIP concept in 2k5. We should be able to program profiles for each NFL coach, e.g how often they run on first down, second down etc.

7. More atmosphere for big games. Have some different commentary when the teams are battling first etc.

8. Player ratings. For 7 years, we have had the same ratings. Take QB's, accuracy and power. As we all know there are some QB's who are great at the short pass but not great at the long pass etc. How about a crunch time rating? Let's show some creativity here for once.

Basically, I like the game, but I think EA aimed very low in terms of improvements so they can continue to milk the cow. This is why it stinks to not have competition in football gaming. I know it will never happen but it would be nice for people to just not buy the game for one year. Would I have liked to download this update off of XBOX Live with new rosters for $20? Absolutely. I just do not believe it is worth $50.

Hopefully, I can save some of you some money. Download some new rosters for Madden 2005 and 2k5 and you will have just as much, if not more, fun than Madden 2006.

YOU MY FRIEND ARE SO RIGHT...I PICKED UP THE GAME LAST NIGHT AND I THOUGHT I WAS PLAYING MADDEN 2005....THE VISION CONE IS DECENT BUT IN REALITY IT TAKES TOO LONG TO SWITCH YOUR VISION CONE TO ANOTHER RECEIVER RESULTING IN ALOT OF SACKS...THE GRAPHICS LOOK WORSE THAN LAST YEAR...AND THE GAMEPLAY IS SO MUCH SLOWER....ANOTHER THING I HAVE NOTICED IS THE COMPLETE LACK OF PENALTIES MAINLY PASS INTERFERENCE WHEN PLAYING THE CPU....PENALTIES ARE A BIG PART OF THE GAME...AT MINIMUM EA COULD HAVE UPGRADED TO BETTER PRESENTATION...BUT EVEN THAT HAS GOTTEN WORSE...I GOT CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE PERIOD...AND I AM NOT A ESPN OR MADDEN FANBOY I SIMPLY LIKE TO PLAY REALISTIC FOOTBALL GAMES....WE AS CONSUMERS ARE CAUGHT FOR 5 YEARS WE HAVE NO CHOICE..AND EA KNOWS THAT..FOR EVERYONE THAT DOESN'T BUY THE GAME BECAUSE OF IT'S LACK OF PROGRESSION...20 PEOPL WILL BUY IT BECAUSE OF THE MADDEN HYPE MACHINE...IN HONESTY NCAA 2006 IS A BETTER GAME AND I WILL USE THAT FOR MY FOOTBALL FIX .....I WILL STILL TRY TO PLAY MADDEN BUT THE ENTHUSIASM I HAD FOR IT JUST 2 YEARS AGO HAS DWINDLED TO NOTHING....

mjb2124 08-10-2005 10:41 AM

FYI - The caps lock makes that post very hard to read. It's also associated with shouting on an internet forum.

LIGHTNING 08-10-2005 10:41 AM

It is best to wait at least a month before buying games especially EA Sports games.

edaddy 08-10-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeboo
FYI - The caps lock makes that post very hard to read. It's also associated with shouting on an internet forum.

EXACTLY!!! THAT'S WHAT MY INTENT WAS...NOW DO YOU HAVE A RESPONSE TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD?...

mjb2124 08-10-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edaddy
EXACTLY!!! THAT'S WHAT MY INTENT WAS...NOW DO YOU HAVE A RESPONSE TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD?...

Yes, please don't use caps lock. :waytogo:

fishepa 08-10-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeboo
Yes, please don't use caps lock. :waytogo:

I concur, it's very simple to get your point across without caps.

ehh 08-10-2005 11:26 AM

With the exclusive license plus the fact that this is the final installment on Xbox/PS2 before the Next Gen systems, did you really expect anything different?

This is why I'm not buying this game. I'll keep my Madden '05 and NFL 2K5 and be perfectly happy this year.