Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden 2006 - A Review........... (/forums/showthread.php?t=137042)

KBomber 08-13-2005 11:01 PM

Madden 2006 - A Review...........

Having put in almost a week on Madden 2006 (Thanks, Blockbuster, for that great new late policy...) I think that I've finally got enough time in to put together my review of this title. Without further delay, my review of Madden 2006

GAMEPLAY
In trying to prepare for trying out Madden 2006 this week, I spent some time over the last couple of weeks playing the games that came as a precursor to this title. Madden 2003 and 2004 were still in my collection, and of the two, I'm still partial to 2003 I must say. Madden 2005 was a rental for the week prior to 2006 coming out and I have to admit, I still don't like it as a game. For me Madden had been in decline from 2003 and I still firmly believe that the 2005 is one of the low points of the franchise. Trying it again for a week did nothing to dissuade me of this opinion.

I think that Madden 2006 excedes the 2005 version relative to gameplay. That being said, there is still a lot lacking in this area of the game for me.

Some things I really like, the passing cone being one of them for the most part. To me it's a nice idea and is realistic and creative in its execution. I could see it being exploited by cheesers on Live play, but since I think online gaming is a hollow experience, that isn't really a consideration for me. However many other aspects of gameplay on Madden still haven't gotten it right and continue to leave the overall impression of the title as being cheap in order to somewhat artificially manufacture the drama of competition in absolute disdain for practical logic. I'll illustrate in a couple of scenarios:

1. A 260 lbs linebacker on a clear path to the QB gets sucked into a blocking animation from behind by a 5'10" 187 lbs wide receiver. Sorry, simple physics don't play that

2. On a running play, the offense correctly checks off against the D and using the Playmaker feature, redirects a run to the opposite side of the field. After receiving the ball, teh RB goes into a bizarre slowdown mode where he seems to almost run in place until a DE from the opposite side of the field tackles him in the backfield for a loss. Had he actually moved forward as was being input to the controller, there was nothing but real estate ahead and no defender in position to make a play on the ball. This is the kind of thing that is rampant in Madden 2006 in order to preserve the competitive drama, but it is artificial and non-sim

3. Quarterbacks throwing strikes off their back foot while being hit by a defender into double and even triple coverage 40 and 50 yards downfield while not even being able to follow through on their throwing motion. This has been in the game since 2003 and is stupid. There is no other word for it

4. LB's getting pancaked by the buttocks of an offensive tackle, with the LB having already turned the corner, he winds up three feet in front of the tackle, flat on his back -- once again in absolute defiance of logic and basic physics

Beyond those issues there are still a variety of money plays, especially on offense where the D seems to have big issues with RB's coming out of the backfield on pass plays and any type of curl pattern by WR's

Overall, there is an absence of logic to Madden's gameplay, especially in the line and how relates to the running game. If you want to run inside, it seems as though the only option is to go Dive. If you select an off-tackle play, you invariably have to go sweep because the O-Line rarely is able to create a hole and the defensive recovery to any hole made is not realistic in my mind. Line play seems to be a consistent weakness of this title with a very generic and relatively unrealistic feel to this element of the game

Defensively I think that there are way too many turnovers although the D-Line seems to struggle to ever get pressure on the QB. The balance is skewed towards the LB and Secondary in an unrealistic manner. Also, once a player is caught in the blocking animation, there seems little chance of liberating them and the entire exercise becomes a button-mashing goulasche.

Special teams are also strange in my mind. On kick-offs the coverage seems way too loose. On punts there's rarely an opportunity to make a return -- it's weird

Finally the timing of plays just seems wrong.

GRAPHICS AND PRESENTATION
Woof.Madden 2006 is unremarkable in both of these areas. While some animations are well done, I've never been a fan of how the players look since about the 2004 version of the game. If you look at this game and NFL 2K5, there is still a clear difference in the quality of graphics and animations and we're using year-old software as a comparator here. Does this concern anyone? Presentation wise it's the same thing.

Where is the improvement? Why are we seeing a regression in quality on a continuous basis in these important areas? Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL Films tunes, but it's going to take more than that. Ambient sound is also lacking and don't get me started on the commentary. If EA hasn't been able to get John and Al in the booth since 2004, why not just go to different commentators and get some fresh voice work? No sideline reporter, clunky looking presentation graphics. Are we to assume that year two of exclusivity is going to fetch us something better? Year One doesn't seem to support this concept

GAME MODES
I like the idea of Superstar Mode. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the execution. I like practice mode. I like franchise. I don't think the PDA and e-mail systems are very inspired. I don't think the newspaper section of Franchise is very well rendered especially after seeing what College Hoops 2K5 did with a similar feature last year. One thing I will say is that I enjoy the Tony Bruno segments. To me they are fun to listen to. Mini games are still good, but they are getting long in the tooth as are the Madden Cards. I'm sorry but it's been five years. What's NEW in this area? Good God, please lose Create-A-Fan and all othe associated cut-scenes related to that feature. If there is a more banal, useless and insulting-to-the-intelligence-of-all-gamers feature than "Create a Fan", then I just don't know what that is

OVERALL
Madden 2006 is a concern for me. We don't see anything overly new or groundbreaking other than the new passing interface. Graphically, we're still seeing little if any improvement and a look that isn't as good as what the series was giving us in years past. Other than updating the rosters are we seeing something in Madden 2006 that pushes the envelope past what we saw in Madden 2002-2005? I've spoken on this point ad nauseum, but where is the trigger for EA to progress the situation in the future? THere isn't one and this game clearly illustrates that there is no inertia moving this series forward into anything that resembles innovation or heightened quality

For me, Madden 2006 is a 7.5 out of 10 and likely sinking for 2007

Have fun................

Erv 08-13-2005 11:09 PM

Re: Madden 2006 - A Review...........

your score doesn't match the text. Like at most I expected a 4.5 out of 10 considering the tone of the review.

KBomber 08-13-2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erv
your score doesn't match the text. Like at most I expected a 4.5 out of 10 considering the tone of the review.

For me anything that is 7-8 out of 10 is only worth it for people who are a hard-core fans of a series. Madden is better than run-of-the-mill titles that you'll find that you'll find on most systems. Does it do anything spectacular? Other than the passing cone, no, not really.

If you don't have a football game in you collection is it worth it as a buy? Sure it is.

If you have football games in your collection, and some of them very good ones or earlier versions of Madden, is it then worth a buy? I don't think so, unless you are a hard-core fan of the series or someone who can't update a roster on an existing product already in your possession

Hope that clears up my thought process

Have fun.................

Furq 08-14-2005 02:12 AM

i agree

ObiWanJenkins 08-14-2005 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBomber
OVERALL
Madden 2006 is a concern for me. We don't see anything overly new or groundbreaking other than the new passing interface. Graphically, we're still seeing little if any improvement and a look that isn't as good as what the series was giving us in years past. Other than updating the rosters are we seeing something in Madden 2006 that pushes the envelope past what we saw in Madden 2002-2005? I've spoken on this point ad nauseum, but where is the trigger for EA to progress the situation in the future? THere isn't one and this game clearly illustrates that there is no inertia moving this series forward into anything that resembles innovation or heightened quality
Have fun................

A very nice review. I have just one issue with your summary. Madden is at the end of its console life on the Xbox and (possibly) PS2. I have seen this with every final system release for games. I would expect the first game on a new system to show "inertia moving this series forward," not the last. I had very low expectations of this game from the beginning and I'm surprised that nobody else did, given the transition to the 360.

Jistic 08-14-2005 07:43 AM

Boy I'm stunned you didn't like it. Shocking! :y3:

KBomber 08-14-2005 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
A very nice review. I have just one issue with your summary. Madden is at the end of its console life on the Xbox and (possibly) PS2. I have seen this with every final system release for games. I would expect the first game on a new system to show "inertia moving this series forward," not the last. I had very low expectations of this game from the beginning and I'm surprised that nobody else did, given the transition to the 360.

To me the expectations had to be elevated due to the fact that Madden was entering into its first year of exclusivity. WIth that in mind my thought was that they would go out of their way to jazz up the proceedings in a meaningful way to ease the minds of gamers who were wondering if an exclusive license was just code for a license to print money without the drag of competition. Had Madden on the Xbox blown me away I might be more inclined to be excited about Madden on the 360.

At this point is anyone expecting Madden to be a game that sells that platform? I can't at this point. I'm not sure I want this game with nothing more than a higher count of polygons. Are we really expecting more?

Have fun................

KBomber 08-14-2005 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jistic
Boy I'm stunned you didn't like it. Shocking! :y3:

Are there areas where you feel I've been unfair to the game in reviewing it? If so, why don't you tell me what your thoughts on those aspects of the game are. I'd be interested to hear them, maybe I'm missing something in the first edition of the game that will eventually lead us to the glory of EA Mondo Globo Football Universe

Have fun...........