Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Punt Return solution (/forums/showthread.php?t=138395)

dano 08-22-2005 11:32 PM

Punt Return solution

I read this on MaddenMania and it seems to be working.

1). Choose Put Block Man
2). CPU will change to Punt Block Protection at the line.
3). AFTER the change audible to Punt Return (X) + R trigger.

I have been now getting about 10-11 yard returns in some cases. I doubt i will ever break one but it is promising.

fsufan 08-22-2005 11:33 PM

Re: Punt Return solution

Quote:

Originally Posted by dano
I read this on MaddenMania and it seems to be working.

1). Choose Put Block Man
2). CPU will change to Punt Block Protection at the line.
3). AFTER the change audible to Punt Return (X) + R trigger.

I have been now getting about 10-11 yard returns in some cases. I doubt i will ever break one but it is promising.

yea ill try that but u can always just move the blocker back urself

ChiTownKid 08-23-2005 12:26 AM

What I noticed, and others have as well, is that the CPU constantly underkicks. I tested this one night, doing practice punts with the Bears on both sides of the ball. I spotted the ball at my own 20, and I noticed that when I punted near 100% power to the CPU, which I was able to do most of the time, the ball would travel to about the opposing 30yd line. I also noticed that for some odd reason, the CPU was getting decent blocking for his returns. At least, better than my own. (I'd also noticed in my games online that both myself and my opponents were getting better returns in my online games than I was getting vs the CPU.)

So then I switched it over and let the CPU punt. Same kicker, same ball spot. To my surprise, the CPU was only kicking to like the 40 or 50, sometimes shorter. Very rarely did the CPU kick it all the way to the 30, which was something I was doing with like 95% regularity. So, all things being equal, the CPU will kick, what, like 25-35% weaker than you on average? And when it does this, it essentially underkicks your blockers' coverage. They simply won't block, because the ball hasn't traveled far enough.

I originally scoffed at the idea of increasing the punt distance slider, cuz I thought all it would do was give the CPU unrealistic punt distances just so I could return. Turns out, that's not the case at all. You MUST increase the CPU's punt distance slider just to put it on the same level as you! I'd say you should up the punt distance for CPU at least 5 clicks. 7 or 8 is probably about perfect.

After that, the CPU will no longer underkick your blockers, allowing them to engage their blocks more frequently. Like online, the reason I was getting better return blocks from a human opponent was because they kicked the ball further than the CPU. It still isn't a perfect fix, cuz those blocks still don't often amount to much in the way of return yards, but it's better than it was out of the box.

Kelvarr 08-23-2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
What I noticed, and others have as well, is that the CPU constantly underkicks. I tested this one night, doing practice punts with the Bears on both sides of the ball. I spotted the ball at my own 20, and I noticed that when I punted near 100% power to the CPU, which I was able to do most of the time, the ball would travel to about the opposing 30yd line. I also noticed that for some odd reason, the CPU was getting decent blocking for his returns. At least, better than my own. (I'd also noticed in my games online that both myself and my opponents were getting better returns in my online games than I was getting vs the CPU.)

So then I switched it over and let the CPU punt. Same kicker, same ball spot. To my surprise, the CPU was only kicking to like the 40 or 50, sometimes shorter. Very rarely did the CPU kick it all the way to the 30, which was something I was doing with like 95% regularity. So, all things being equal, the CPU will kick, what, like 25-35% weaker than you on average? And when it does this, it essentially underkicks your blockers' coverage. They simply won't block, because the ball hasn't traveled far enough.

I originally scoffed at the idea of increasing the punt distance slider, cuz I thought all it would do was give the CPU unrealistic punt distances just so I could return. Turns out, that's not the case at all. You MUST increase the CPU's punt distance slider just to put it on the same level as you! I'd say you should up the punt distance for CPU at least 5 clicks. 7 or 8 is probably about perfect.

After that, the CPU will no longer underkick your blockers, allowing them to engage their blocks more frequently. Like online, the reason I was getting better return blocks from a human opponent was because they kicked the ball further than the CPU. It still isn't a perfect fix, cuz those blocks still don't often amount to much in the way of return yards, but it's better than it was out of the box.

can you increase punting power for the computer? Or will raising kicking power increase FG distance as well?

mjb2124 08-23-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvarr
can you increase punting power for the computer? Or will raising kicking power increase FG distance as well?

Yes you can. There are seperate sliders for punt distance and FG distance.

I bumped up the CPU Punt distance to 18. When I've checked, the average punt by the CPU is still only in the low 40's.

I've been able to get 5-10 yd returns though. Still can't seem to break one for more than that and I'm not sure I'll be able to. I'll have to try what dano recommended tonight.

Kelvarr 08-23-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeboo
Yes you can. There are seperate sliders for punt distance and FG distance.

I bumped up the CPU Punt distance to 18. When I've checked, the average punt by the CPU is still only in the low 40's.

I've been able to get 5-10 yd returns though. Still can't seem to break one for more than that and I'm not sure I'll be able to. I'll have to try what dano recommended tonight.

Sounds like increasing the punt distance slider and using the punt block formation might be the ticket then...

Looks like the league average for punt returns was only about 8.8 yds, and the league leader in punt return touchdowns was 2, with only 11 Total in the league.

dano 08-23-2005 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvarr
Sounds like increasing the punt distance slider and using the punt block formation might be the ticket then...

Looks like the league average for punt returns was only about 8.8 yds, and the league leader in punt return touchdowns was 2, with only 11 Total in the league.

I increased the slider and do the trick with the audible. in fact i almsot broke one. but the cpu also has another cheat whereby a guy with 75 speed can catch a 98 speed guy turning the corner.

mjb2124 08-24-2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dano
I increased the slider and do the trick with the audible. in fact i almsot broke one. but the cpu also has another cheat whereby a guy with 75 speed can catch a 98 speed guy turning the corner.

I tried this last night with Randle El. I returned 4 punts during the game (a few others went out of bounds).

I had to fair catch one of them and the other 3 I returned from 5 yds to 15 yds. My average at the end of the game was 7.4. The 15 yd return was the longest I've had!! :)

I've also noticed a speed issue where you have a fast guy get run down by a slower CPU player. Not sure how to fix that one.... :y11: