Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Explain this to me (not a complaint) (/forums/showthread.php?t=138948)

artichoke 08-26-2005 06:45 PM

Explain this to me (not a complaint)

Playing the championship game of my tournament (Bengals (me) vs. (Cowboys)). I was up 16-14 until Dallas scored with under a minute left to make the score 20-16. After the touchdown they went for a two-point conversion. Is there a good reason why? The only reason I could come up with is that if I were somehow able to get two field goals in one minute I would merely tie the game if it were 22-16 (the conversion failed by the way and I lost).

I don't consider this a bug and it doesn't bother me except I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the logic behind it.

BTW, I think this is my first post about Madden '06 and I have to say I love it. Usually I play two or three exhibition games and launch into a franchise but I'm having so much fun playing single games and creating tournaments in which I play every game that I haven't grooved into franchise mode yet. '04 and '05 bored me to death but this makes up for it.

Good times.

LetsGo0akland 08-26-2005 06:49 PM

Re: Explain this to me (not a complaint)

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of posting here at OS.

Yeah that means you not only had to score the TD but also kick the PAT to win. Yeah we all think the PAT is so easy to nail but sometimes people do block them or your accuracy is off so you would end up in a tie. Kicking the PAT in their situation was pointless because all you had to do was score a TD and you had the lead.

artichoke 08-26-2005 07:24 PM

Thanks SpanishFly. I think that is the only explanation that didn't run through my brain. That's what I get for going to work at 4 am everyday.

Time to start a franchise tomorrow, can't wait.

Playmakers 08-26-2005 07:47 PM

I think that a prime example of this would have been the game last year I believe someone was playing Jacksonville and they scored a late TD and they needed only the extra point to tie the game up and wouldn't you know it the freakin kicker missed the Extra point..... :59:

I can't recall which team it was but they had scored on a crazy late TD Pass and then the kicker missed the PAT that would have sent the game into OT. So, the Jaguars ended up winning the game.

Sinister 08-26-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playmakers
I think that a prime example of this would have been the game last year I believe someone was playing Jacksonville and they scored a late TD and they needed only the extra point to tie the game up and wouldn't you know it the freakin kicker missed the Extra point..... :59:

I can't recall which team it was but they had scored on a crazy late TD Pass and then the kicker missed the PAT that would have sent the game into OT. So, the Jaguars ended up winning the game.

First off, it was the New Orleans Saints who got the late TD. Second, it wasnt a TD pass. It was a kick return for a TD with multiple laterals.

Edit: As for the person who posted this thread. The computer went for the 2 pt. conversion because if you scored a TD and went for the 2pt. they would only be down by a FG. However if you scored a TD and went for the 2pt. and they had only gone for the PAT, they would be down by 4 points. And even if the computer didnt get the 2pt. they would still be up.

TheLetterZ 08-26-2005 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister
First off, it was the New Orleans Saints who got the late TD. Second, it wasnt a TD pass. It was a kick return for a TD with multiple laterals.

Actually, it was a TD pass.

pistons388 08-26-2005 11:01 PM

Quote:

Edit: As for the person who posted this thread. The computer went for the 2 pt. conversion because if you scored a TD and went for the 2pt. they would only be down by a FG. However if you scored a TD and went for the 2pt. and they had only gone for the PAT, they would be down by 4 points. And even if the computer didnt get the 2pt. they would still be up.

Actually it was a pass.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20031221_NO@JAC

kodiak 08-27-2005 12:47 AM

Quote:

The CPU screwed up. Had they kicked the XP they go up 21-16. So if you would have scored you would have had to go for 2 to be up a FG. The XP for you does you no good since you would be up 22-21. So if you would have scored and converted the 2pt, you would then be up 24-21. Back to the orginal question though is that they went for 2 to make you connect on the XP to beat them 23-22. You have to assume that the XP will be hit in the NFL so the CPU should have gone for the XP.

EDIT: It also would depend on time left because by them going for 2 gives them the ability to still beat you with a FG if you would have scored, even if you went for 2. If both you and the CPU make the 2pt conversions, the score would be you 24 CPU 22 sp a FG still wins it for them.