Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Deep Ball (/forums/showthread.php?t=139611)

Ankido 09-01-2005 03:14 PM

The Deep Ball

Hi,

Seriously, I'm tired of this game but I love football that's why I can't leave it. Most of my friends quit playing Madden except for those bozo's who feel Madden is God of football.

Anyhow... I still can't seem to figure out how to play the deep ball. I pump fake, CB bites, I gun to the receiver and he's got a 5 feet cusion on the CB... right before the ball reaches the receiver the CB closes in on him and pulls off an ALL PRO move by swatting the ball while not looking at it. All this with his back turned, didnt know football players can do that since the pads don't allow them much movement.

I am lost here and need some help on how to play the long ball. If there's no solution, does anyone have roster updates for ESPN NFL 2k5?

The Chef 09-01-2005 03:17 PM

Re: The Deep Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankido
Hi,

Seriously, I'm tired of this game but I love football that's why I can't leave it. Most of my friends quit playing Madden except for those bozo's who feel Madden is God of football.

Anyhow... I still can't seem to figure out how to play the deep ball. I pump fake, CB bites, I gun to the receiver and he's got a 5 feet cusion on the CB... right before the ball reaches the receiver the CB closes in on him and pulls off an ALL PRO move by swatting the ball while not looking at it. All this with his back turned, didnt know football players can do that since the pads don't allow them much movement.

I am lost here and need some help on how to play the long ball. If there's no solution, does anyone have roster updates for ESPN NFL 2k5?

Ive run into the same problems using Playmakers All-Pro sliders. Only times I stand a chance of completing it is when the computer is either caught on the inside or outside shoulder and I throw a bullet to the opposite shoulder, but if I put any air under the throw then they will bat it down nearly everytime.

Millennium 09-01-2005 04:16 PM

Two things:

- Try Mudtigers sliders

- Pushing up, barely tapping the button, and throwing the ball early and in correct situations. I had the same issue you did, and I am finally getting a realistic deep ball. Some tips are make sure you throw outside or inside by which side of the CB the reciever runs by, and throw the ball as the CB is turning around. I have not had any success throwing bullets, but throwing barely tapped lobs has worked wonders.

Last tip: Try to stay away from the deep ball from the opponents 30 yard line to their goal line. It is hard to get seperation due to the fact that the lob needs distance and when you throw it, it tends to sit on the back of the goal line where your wirdeout has to slow down to get it.

Hope that helps a little.

Troller 09-01-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimping219
Ive run into the same problems using Playmakers All-Pro sliders. Only times I stand a chance of completing it is when the computer is either caught on the inside or outside shoulder and I throw a bullet to the opposite shoulder, but if I put any air under the throw then they will bat it down nearly everytime.

Nearly everytime you throw deep it is incomplete? That is perfect.......how is this a problem? Deep ball throws have high reward but a low probability of success...... maybe 10% of your bombs should be complete. I do not know of anything that would make me stop playing madden faster than to have an easy deep ball. Do you even understand what your asking for? Play pro mode if you want DB's you can smoke on a regular basis. I hope you realize that if you completed all the bombs you thought were "open" the game would be ruined.

shugknight 09-01-2005 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troller
Nearly everytime you throw deep it is incomplete? That is perfect.......how is this a problem? Deep ball throws have high reward but a low probability of success...... maybe 10% of your bombs should be complete. I do not know of anything that would make me stop playing madden faster than to have an easy deep ball. Do you even understand what your asking for? Play pro mode if you want DB's you can smoke on a regular basis. I hope you realize that if you completed all the bombs you thought were "open" the game would be ruined.

Exactly! I thought the same thing when I read teh posts in here. How many times have you seen the deep ball completed in a game in the NFL? Its rare. I do admit that it happens, but it is still rare. Complaing becuase you cant seem to throw the deep ball often sounds like your getting frustrated because you cant beat the cpu or you cant beat them as much as you want to. I've completed a fair amount of deep passes. It happens, it just doesnt happen once or twice every drive, which is REALISTIC. Please instead of flaming Madden, just go back to NFL2K5. We don't need your negativity in here.

Hoos 09-01-2005 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millennium
Two things:

- Try Mudtigers sliders

- Pushing up, barely tapping the button, and throwing the ball early and in correct situations. I had the same issue you did, and I am finally getting a realistic deep ball. Some tips are make sure you throw outside or inside by which side of the CB the reciever runs by, and throw the ball as the CB is turning around. I have not had any success throwing bullets, but throwing barely tapped lobs has worked wonders.

Last tip: Try to stay away from the deep ball from the opponents 30 yard line to their goal line. It is hard to get seperation due to the fact that the lob needs distance and when you throw it, it tends to sit on the back of the goal line where your wirdeout has to slow down to get it.

Hope that helps a little.

I too was having problems completing deep passes but Millenium's recommendation of barely tapping the receiver's button could not be more true !!! When I started doing this about a week ago, coupled with precision passing to the correct shoulder I started seeing more completions on the deep ball. Nothing over the top, but it does have a realistic feel to it. The last thing I want is a game where the deep ball is a money play the majority of a time !!!

This years Madden has the most realistic passing game of any game that I have ever played (including NFL2K5). At first I was getting frustrated with non-existent deep ball and passes over the middle. About 10 hours in practice mode helped me conquer both of these. My passing percentage is more believable now and I'm able to spread my passes all over the field.

Miles_Yuhas 09-01-2005 07:18 PM

The only time I did it was on a play action ball. I decided before the ball that I was going deep and right after the ball was faked off to the HB and my QB turned around I lobbed it to Ward and he was wide open. The only way that I do it is tapping that the throw botton, plus precision passing. What I think happened is that the corner came on a blitz and the Safety was supposed to be covering me, but he was running over cover me after the snap and the play action and bit on it (He thought they were handing the ball off.)

stabmasterb 09-01-2005 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankido
Hi,

here you go my man...

do not click onto the reciver running the deep pattern. let it go and let the computer go after and bring in the deep ball. dont even switch your icon onto the reciever you're throwing to when going deep. if you switch your icon to the reciever (even if you let the computer make the play) you're screwed. you cannot switch your icon onto the receiver before he catches the deep ball. just leave your icon on the qb after you release it once the reciever makes the catch your icon automatically switches to him and you're off to the races. obviusly if you're trying to throw deep with a safety over the top you deserve an int. but if they're singleing up on your wideout's and teeing off on your qb with a blitz, keep in some extra pass protection and let it go. but don't forget, do not switch onto the reciever after you throw to him. thats the key. welcome to the verticle passing game...

also you do obviously need a qb with some arm strength (so he can outthrow any safety's trying to recover)

and a wideout with speed (so he doesn't constantly get overthrown and can pull away from a corner)