Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Free agents, Restricted and what not (/forums/showthread.php?t=140212)

Samantha 09-06-2005 02:44 PM

Free agents, Restricted and what not

Just a question for a you guys who have been through a season or two already.

I have not started a franchise yet, waiting on an updated roster.

Okay, when you create a player, generally his contract is one year and x amount of dollars. After the season is over, is this player a restricted free agent? Or is he unrestricted? Just wondering how Madden handles the created players, as some are veterans that we have created.

And other question, does madden handle the restricted free agency correctly? If I'm not mistaken, once a player's first and original contract is up, they are restricted for one year, then unrestricted. Please correct me if I am wrong on my assumption of how restricted and unrestricted free agency works. I'm a little fuzzy.

texans 09-06-2005 03:08 PM

Re: Free agents, Restricted and what not

Madden treats them as unrestricted free agents. I think you are restricted for your first 4 years pro then unrestricted after that (in real life).

Beantown 09-06-2005 03:24 PM

You are restricted if you become a FA entering your fourth year as a pro, so if you sign a 3-year contract as a rookie, when that runs out you will be a restricted free agent.

Samantha 09-06-2005 03:59 PM

So, you are restricted until your fifth year? And does Madden do this correctly?
And any created player, any...no matter if a rookie or first year pro or what, treats created players as unrestricted? That would go against the "until fifth year pro" rule.

Beantown 09-06-2005 04:02 PM

It's until the offseason after your third season, before your fourth season you're a restricted free agent.

Beantown 09-06-2005 04:04 PM

Here's something from NFl.com to make it clearer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFL.com
Q -- What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

A -- Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires. Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

Q -- What constitutes an "accrued season?"

A -- Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Q -- Other than accrued seasons, what determines a restricted free agent?

A -- He has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 15. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal." If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player’s rights revert to his old club on April 15.

Samantha 09-06-2005 04:08 PM

Answer me this, what I say, I sign a rookie free agent, or for that matter any rookie for only a one or two year deal. So he becomes a free agent in his second or third year....is he a restricted free agent even then? Basically then, a restricted free agent until, like the quote said, he has acrued his 4 years of play?

Beantown 09-06-2005 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha
Answer me this, what I say, I sign a rookie free agent, or for that matter any rookie for only a one or two year deal. So he becomes a free agent in his second or third year....is he a restricted free agent even then? Basically then, a restricted free agent until, like the quote said, he has acrued his 4 years of play?

If you sign a rookie to a 1 or 2 year deal, he will not be a RFA, as he hasn't amassed three seasons yet.