Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   MicroTransaction B1thc3s (/forums/showthread.php?t=145522)

backbreaker 10-12-2005 05:03 PM

MicroTransaction B1thc3s

I have a feeling that next gen roster editing(create a player) and team creating will be geared towards this feature. Its a great way to nickle and dime a consumer, a fee of .99 will feel like nothing until its in its 10th version. Just look at NBA2K6, they handle their extras with codes for sneakers and uniforms a version of microtransactions without a fee, but you must go to Nike's website in order to get them ect...

I can see blacklover being a casualty of this feature or gobbled up by one of these companies to focus on editing. Just think of the hundreds of thousands of dollars a company can make off a very good sports game with microtransactions. Baltimore unveils its 2007 jersies in may of 2006, instead of waiting for the next version of madden, you can purchase this jersie from their website via Xlive and on down the line.

Just a random thought, nothing more.

stiffarmleft 10-12-2005 05:07 PM

Re: MicroTransaction B1thc3s

Good business model, I may have to look into it.

VanillaGorilla 10-12-2005 09:09 PM

.99 to create a player in Madden? Sorry, that's sounds so greedy, not even EA would do it.

As I've heard it, microtransactions will only deal in things that aren't necessary to complete or enjoy a game. Companies aren't going to pull content from the game, just so they can sell it online for a buck. You may be saying now "But what about teh Halo 2 maps! They charged for those!" Yes, well did those maps hinder you in any way from enjoying the game, or beating the single player? No, and all the maps eventually became free of charge anyways.

baa7 10-13-2005 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
Good business model, I may have to look into it.

And what would you be looking into that for -- selling kool-aid? ;)

The missing create-a-player feature would be a great way for EA to ensure people buy their game every year. No more creating a bunch of new rookies and sticking with last year's game. If you want the updated rosters, you have to buy the new version of the game or pay to download rosters online.

And I know with their PC golf game, they make many of last year’s files incompatible with this year’s game. Last year’s created golfer files don’t work in this year’s game, for example. My guess is they’re headed in that same direction with Madden.