Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB Official Team Threads (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion (/forums/showthread.php?t=161123)

bravosfan 02-22-2006 04:49 AM

2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Lot of Braves fans on here... Spring Training's underway, figured we needed one of these. :)

Projected Lineup
2B Marcus Giles
SS Edgar Renteria
3B Chipper Jones
CF Andruw Jones
1B Adam LaRoche
RF Jeff Francoeur
C Brian McCann
LF Ryan Langerhans

Projected Bench
LF Kelly Johnson
LF Matt Diaz
IF Wilson Betemit
IF Pete Orr
C Todd Pratt

Projected Rotation
RHP John Smoltz
RHP Tim Hudson
RHP John Thomson
RHP Jorge Sosa
LHP Horacio Ramirez

Projected Bullpen
RHP Chris Reitsma
RHP Joey Devine
RHP Blaine Boyer
LHP Macay McBride
RHP Oscar Villarreal
LHP John Foster
RHP Brad Baker

Position Battles
Backup First Baseman - Diaz is being given a look, despite his lack of experience... James Jurries could play his way onto the team... Pratt has some experience at 1st...

Leftfielder - Langerhans is the favorite, but Kelly Johnson could take the spot with a good spring... Diaz is expected to be the right-handed half of the platoon, but Brian Jordan is in camp and could snag the spot....

Closer - Reitsma has the edge, but will have to fight off several candidates... Devine is viewed as the closer-of-the-future... Boyer was very effective last season before injury... Villarreal has a big-time arm, but has been limited by injuries the last couple years... Baker could be a darkhorse, as could RHP Anthony Lerew...

5th Starter - Horacio Ramirez is the incumbent, but he needs a strong spring to remain... Kyle Davies, Chuck James, and Lerew are among the challengers...

A few other notes - looks like new pitching coach Roger McDowell is getting along well so far... I won't be surprised if Langerhans or Johnson are dealt by the end of spring... Relievers Mike Remlinger, Lance Cormier, and Chad Paronto have reportedly impressed Cox early, they could find there way onto the roster... Jarrod Saltalamacchia is of course a stud, and while he's expected to start at AA, we'll likely see him in Atlanta before the end of the year. I don't know if I get bonus points for this, but I didn't even have to look up the spelling of 'Saltalamacchia'. :y7:

I think that about covers it, should be a fun season. :waytogo:

TheMatrix31 02-22-2006 07:02 AM

Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Great post, BG.

Obviously the main weakness is the bullpen, and I sure as hell hope that pickups like Remlinger, Cormier are going to shore it up. Chris Reitsma has to prove that he can be a legit closer in the league. Personally, I have my doubts, but what can you do? But either way, lots of unproven guys in there, so it might be a little rough.

The bench looks solid. It looks like we got a lot of young guys, although people that will be able to come in and fill in for a hurt starter or just to give guys a rest. I feel confident in having these guys come in and their ability to get a big hit or pinch-run. That said, I think losing Julio Franco will hurt us. His veteran leadership and seemingly never-ending ability to contribute was huge for us.

The plus side of Julio leaving is that we can finally get to see Adam LaRoche in an everyday role. He needs to get more consistent, but I believe it's there.

Saltalamacchia's nickname should already be obvious...Salty.

I, for one, hope we dont trade Kelly or Ryan. I believe the depth out in the outfield is going to be a big asset to us, seeing as how there are usually a lot of injuries and day-to-day things that happen out there.

Losing Leo is gonna be big, but I'm hoping like hell that Roger can step in and do the same sort of thing Leo did. For starters, I just hope that Horacio can get it together. Before he got hurt in 04, he was kicking some major ***, but ever since then, it's just been bad. I hope he can get some consistency, we'll need it. We also need Jorge Sosa to repeat what he did last year and not revert to his old ways. I remember early on before he started to kick it into high gear, it was painful for me to watch his starts.

That said, let's get behind this Braves team and make it 15 in a row, baby!

And oh, yeah, let's get this team out of the first round.....

GO BRAVES!

aukevin 02-22-2006 03:34 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing what Devine can do. He would look good last year for a few batters, then give up a big hit. I really hope he gets some opportunities this year.

Tomahawk 02-22-2006 05:16 PM

Article in the AJC mentions Anthony Lerew is a candidate for the closer's job and Bobby Cox said Lerew looked fantastic yesterday.

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sp...0221notes.html

bravosfan 02-23-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
That said, I think losing Julio Franco will hurt us. His veteran leadership and seemingly never-ending ability to contribute was huge for us.

Even though he's a Met, Julio is still the man:

"Franco, on the other hand, doesn't quite get what the angst is all about. He arrived yesterday for spring training wearing a Braves' T-shirt, of all things, and wore it around the clubhouse for an hour or so, leaving PR man Jay Horwitz in need of oxygen before he finally changed into Mets gear."

:y4:

aukevin 02-23-2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveGamer

"Franco, on the other hand, doesn't quite get what the angst is all about. He arrived yesterday for spring training wearing a Braves' T-shirt, of all things, and wore it around the clubhouse for an hour or so, leaving PR man Jay Horwitz in need of oxygen before he finally changed into Mets gear."

LOL, that's classic. I guess he is getting old, maybe he forgot he changed teams?

cbgatorade0202 02-23-2006 11:09 AM

Ha thatz pretty funny of Franco....Yes i read that Article on Lerew a few days ago and maybe he can become another legit young guy in our pen or Staff

I am not to worried as of right now b/c im hoping we make a decent trade to get 1 more pretty good pitcher to go in our bullpen, If Remlinger and those 2 d'back boys can just pitch half decent our bullpen should be okay , Just gotta hope whoever is Closer doesnt blow games all year long

bravosfan 02-23-2006 08:24 PM

Some of you might be interested in this: FOX agrees to buy Turner South

Quote:

Fox Cable Networks has agreed to buy Time Warner's Turner South, most likely to convert the channel from being a home of Southern-tinged entertainment to a sports-heavy operation anchored by games of three Atlanta professional teams.

The pending sale, which had been expected, was announced Thursday by Fox, a unit of News Corp., and Time Warner's Turner Broadcasting System. People familiar with the deal said the transaction is worth about $375 million, nearly double what one analyst had expected. Additional details about the agreement are likely to be disclosed today.
Nothing new on the team's sale, aside from Arthur Blank reportedly breaking off negotiations recently. :smirk:

aukevin 02-23-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Some of you might be interested in this: FOX agrees to buy Turner South

Nothing new on the team's sale, aside from Arthur Blank reportedly breaking off negotiations recently. :smirk:

As long as I can still see every Braves game on some sort of channel, they can sell. But I'm sure it's not all about me ;)

Bamafan3723 02-23-2006 11:32 PM

Quote:

Projected Bullpen
RHP Chris Reitsma
RHP Joey Devine
RHP Blaine Boyer
LHP Macay McBride
RHP Oscar Villarreal
LHP John Foster
RHP Brad Baker

You know what the best thing about that list is? NO DAN KOLB!!!:woot: :woot:

Bamafan3723 02-23-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

I wish we had've held onto Julio. I love the guy. He's a great player and teammate. He was a big part of our team chemistry. I don't care how old he is, the guy can flat out play. I HATE that he is now a Met.:(

Bamafan3723 02-23-2006 11:44 PM

Steve Phillips just declared that the Mets will dethrone the Braves this year.:y4: Every year these people doubt us. I love it.:)

cjonesfan921 02-25-2006 12:46 PM

Quote:

Projected Rotation
RHP John Smoltz
RHP Tim Hudson
RHP John Thomson
RHP Jorge Sosa
LHP Horacio Ramirez

Don't forget about Kyle Davies. He should battle for a spot in the rotation. The guy can pitch and I think he has potential to be real good. He could emerge as our number 3. I believe our rotation is better than advertised. Still like Ramirez as a starter, if he can put it all together. I love Reitsma as a setup guy but not as a closer. I hope by early May Devine gets a shot to close. Also will be interesting to see if Francouer has gotten more patient at the plate. Last month of the year he was dominated by pitchers. THey found his weaknesses. I truly have doubts about his swing. Needs to be more selective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporting News
Braves might platoon Matt Diaz and Ryan Langerhans in left field this season. Manager Bobby Cox sees the righthanded-hitting Diaz as a potential power threat.

I like Diaz but I really liked how Langerhans swung in key situations. He was the one who came up with the big hits when we needed them. I think with a full season starting he can be a .280 hitter with some power.

TheMatrix31 02-25-2006 05:09 PM

LOL @ Franco's thing. That guy is awesome. I hope he sucks it up on purpose, gets cut or something, and comes back to the Braves.

Bamafan3723 02-25-2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
LOL @ Franco's thing. That guy is awesome. I hope he sucks it up on purpose, gets cut or something, and comes back to the Braves.

Yeah, he should come out on opening day wearing a Braves uni and say "Screw you NY" and then catch a flight back to ATL. That would be awesome.:)

thesnowman8 02-25-2006 11:02 PM

I hope Devine gets back. Also, I really hope that Laroche can pick it up and hit against lefties. This year should be another good year if ER can fill Raffie's shoes and if JF and BM can not hit the sophomore slump. I think also John Smoltz is going to be more wise with his arm during the season, hopefully..?, so he can be ready in october. Leo is going to be the question though. Can we recover from losing our pitching coach, and not only the person but the institution and the way he's done things for a long long time. Change can hurt and mess with people's minds. All in all, I say if we can pull some players together let's make it 15!!

rsox 02-25-2006 11:46 PM

Chipper Jones HAS to stay healthy and pick up some of the offensive slack. Andruw Jones will likely not hit 50 HR's again next season but 35-40 would be good. Brian Jordan probably makes the team, the Braves need some kind of a veteran pressence on the bench with Franco gone and Jordan is their best option, if healthy he could also provide some pop off the bench as well. Realistically Francouer, McCann, Johnson and Langerhans are all going to struggle at some point, Langerhans was the only one to play in 100 games and the only one to get 300 AB's and there is a chance he could be traded by opening day. The kids picked up the slack last year, the veterans will need to do it this year.

westwood 02-26-2006 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsox
Chipper Jones HAS to stay healthy and pick up some of the offensive slack. Andruw Jones will likely not hit 50 HR's again next season but 35-40 would be good. Brian Jordan probably makes the team, the Braves need some kind of a veteran pressence on the bench with Franco gone and Jordan is their best option, if healthy he could also provide some pop off the bench as well. Realistically Francouer, McCann, Johnson and Langerhans are all going to struggle at some point, Langerhans was the only one to play in 100 games and the only one to get 300 AB's and there is a chance he could be traded by opening day. The kids picked up the slack last year, the veterans will need to do it this year.

agreed, i dont expect anything near the production we got out of those guys last year to there this year. hopefully im wrong.

bravosfan 02-26-2006 08:44 AM

For those worried about McDowell, read this.

Leo was great, but it was time for him to move on... I have a lot of confidence in McDowell, I believe he'll do a great job. And mark my words, the bullpen will be much better than people think. :waytogo:

TheMatrix31 02-26-2006 09:29 PM

Definitely a reassuring article....man, I cant wait to see what he can do.

bravosfan 03-01-2006 06:18 PM

First game in the books, Braves beat UGA 10-1.

Salty with a couple extra base hits, and Villarreal struck out the first four batters he faced. It was a college team, but still...

Grapefruit League games begin tomorrow, Friday's game is on ESPN. :woot:

Ger 03-02-2006 03:30 PM

Salty's gonna be special. i sure as hell hope we dont trade him, nor McCann for that matter. this team has unbelievable upside, and its going to pay off. I know the bullpen looks weak right now, but there is potential.

aukevin 03-02-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Grapefruit League games begin tomorrow, Friday's game is on ESPN. :woot:

I've got the recorder set :)

bravosfan 03-03-2006 04:05 PM

I <3 Salty.

CWood2 03-03-2006 05:40 PM

Where do Salty and McCann fit in long term? Can either one player other positions? I know Jarrod has come a long way behind the plate, but I love the way McCann handled the staff in his rookie season. If LaRoche has a big year, it looks like one of these guys would have to go eventually...

bravosfan 03-03-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWood2
Where do Salty and McCann fit in long term? Can either one player other positions? I know Jarrod has come a long way behind the plate, but I love the way McCann handled the staff in his rookie season. If LaRoche has a big year, it looks like one of these guys would have to go eventually...

The assumption is that Salty will be the one to move, he has a bit more athleticism. He's probably headed for 1st, though there has been some talk of trying him in left.

LaRoche isn't in either of their leagues, in my opinion... especially Salty, that guy is a beast.

willdtarheeler 03-03-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

The assumption is that Salty will be the one to move, he has a bit more athleticism. He's probably headed for 1st, though there has been some talk of trying him in left.

LaRoche isn't in either of their leagues, in my opinion... especially Salty, that guy is a beast.

Ill second that, I just turned on the TV when I got home this afternoon to ESPN, thought the WBC might be on, instead it was the Braves, and up comes Saltamacchia, boom, walkoff home run, game over, I love this guy, he's gonna be great. The Braves better find a way to keep him around.

Ger 03-05-2006 01:37 PM

bye bye LaRoche!

bravosfan 03-07-2006 05:04 PM

Guess who took ground balls at first base during pregame batting practice Tuesday? Hint: Big kid, long name.

Yes, Jarrod Saltamacchia, top-rated Braves prospect and No. 1 catching prospect in baseball.

“He’s just killing time out there, messing around,” Braves manager Bobby Cox said, rather unconvincingly.

Maybe he was just messing around, but if so then it’s quite a coincidence that Salty was taking grounders at first base the week after he had a double and triple in his first two at-bats in an Atlanta uniform (vs. the Georgia Bulldogs) and a game-ending three-run homer in his first Grapefruit League game against the Dodgers.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha..._sighting.html

:y220a:

TheMatrix31 03-07-2006 05:06 PM

If he were to play 1B, what happens to LaRoche....I guess he's gonna be traded or come off the bench if this comes true. I always thought LaRoche had a lot of talent, but havent been around Salty too much to know what he can do.

bravosfan 03-07-2006 05:22 PM

Salty has a chance to be something really special. 6'4" switch-hitter, massive power, great eye... and he's only 20.

LaRoche could become a good player. But as it stands, he's one of the worst offensive first basemen in baseball. I doubt he has much trade value... If/when Salty takes his job, he'll probably be a pinch-hitter and late-inning defensive replacement.

TheMatrix31 03-07-2006 05:37 PM

I definitely wouldnt mind him coming off the bench. Even though his offense isnt strong, I still feel like gets hits when we need 'em.

By the way you guys are pimping Saltamacchia, I guess I have no choice but to hope he gets the 1B spot.

bravosfan 03-07-2006 06:41 PM

BELIEVE :y1:

I like LaRoche allright... It's just that he's probably not gonna get much better than he already is. Maybe a little bit higher average, a few more homeruns. That's about it.

Salty, though... he has a chance to be so much more than that. I hate to make comparisons like this, but he could be our own Mark Teixeira.

Hmm, I think I should be Salty's agent. :tongue:

theaub 03-07-2006 06:49 PM

Just wanted to say that I knew Pete Orr back in the day...before he was signed by the Braves he used to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team. He used to help out at a camp that I went too, and I knew him pretty well. He was a damn good SS (he moved to second though, right?). Really nice guy too.

Oh, and one more thing...Dave Winfield! *runs* :)

BGarrett7 03-07-2006 07:03 PM

Alright, so, after we've locked up number fifteen... Is there anyway of convincing Chipper that the 2006 MLB Playoffs were actually replaced with the 2006 WBC Rematch? I mean, we can at least give it a shot right, anything to keep him from falling flat on his damn face again.

bravosfan 03-07-2006 08:35 PM

Anybody up for a Braves fan Fantasy League?

bravosfan 03-12-2006 03:56 PM

Guess no interest in the fantasy league...

Anyway, a few notes:

-Braves signed manager Bobby Cox to an extension through 2007

-James Jurries and Matt Diaz are killing the ball, they better make the team

-Brian Jordan is having a good spring, too, which is not good. Please, hang 'em up, B.J.

-Wilson Betemit also swinging the bat well

-LaRoche batting under .100

-Salty, still a stud, but I think he's under the Mendoza line. Hit a 3-run bomb yesterday, though.

-Blaine Boyer is making progress, should make his spring debut soon

-Mike Remlinger has probably pitched himself out of consideration, he's gotten torched

Uh, that's all I can think of...

TheMatrix31 03-12-2006 05:24 PM

Remlinger needs to retire before he costs us any games.

Jordan, I dont mind having but I'd rather have him off the bench.

LaRoche under .100? Yeesh

Good stuff on getting Bobby extended through next year too.

I'm interested in a fantasy league. Sure, why not?

rsox 03-12-2006 06:04 PM

[quote=BraveGamer]Guess no interest in the fantasy league...

Anyway, a few notes:

-Braves signed manager Bobby Cox to an extension through 2007

Good for Bobby

-James Jurries and Matt Diaz are killing the ball, they better make the team

Jurries may not make the team, if for no other reason than a lack of playing time (unless they trade LaRoche, which probably won't happen). Diaz could oust Kelly Johnson as the right-handed hitter in the LF platoon (Diaz is hitting .462, Johnson is hitting .294)

-Brian Jordan is having a good spring, too, which is not good. Please, hang 'em up, B.J.

Jordan's .333 Average is a surprise, he is also playing 1B. I think he makes the team because the Braves need some kind of a veteran presence off the bench and maybe he could replace Julio Franco as top pinch-hitter

-Wilson Betemit also swinging the bat well

Betemit's playing well but i'm sure most Braves fans would like to see more Chipper and less Betemit at 3B

-LaRoche batting under .100

Is making a great case for Jurries to take his job

-Salty, still a stud, but I think he's under the Mendoza line. Hit a 3-run bomb yesterday, though.

It will be interesting to see where he plays in the minors this year. The Braves could use a good power bat at 1B and LF and it has been rumored he could end up at one of those positions

-Blaine Boyer is making progress, should make his spring debut soon

Either Lance Cormier or Joey Devine could push Boyer to the minors, at least to start the season

-Mike Remlinger has probably pitched himself out of consideration, he's gotten torched

Remlinger is done. John Foster and Macay McBride will be the lefties out of the pen

Pete Orr's struggling at the plate and Wilson Betemit's ability to play other positions could open up a roster spot for James Jurries. If not we will likely see Jurries at some point because If LaRoche's horribe spring numbers carry over to the regular season we could see LaRoche back at AAA.

bravosfan 03-12-2006 09:50 PM

I like Brian Jordan. He's got all kinds of heart, and leadership and such. But he's a 39-year old beaten-down former pro football player. He can't go a whole season, and he really hasn't contributed anything to anyone in about 3 or 4 years.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he was used exclusively against lefties. He can still hit those guys, he always could. But he's one of Bobby's favorites, and if Cox has any faults it's that he tends to lean on his favorites way more than he should.

I liked Keith Lockhart as a bench player and pinch-hitter. But there's no way he should've played as much as he did after Marcus Giles came up. If Brian Jordan makes the team, it'll be the same thing.