Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB Official Team Threads (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion (/forums/showthread.php?t=161123)

CWood2 03-03-2006 05:40 PM

Re: 2006 Atlanta Braves Discussion

Where do Salty and McCann fit in long term? Can either one player other positions? I know Jarrod has come a long way behind the plate, but I love the way McCann handled the staff in his rookie season. If LaRoche has a big year, it looks like one of these guys would have to go eventually...

bravosfan 03-03-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWood2
Where do Salty and McCann fit in long term? Can either one player other positions? I know Jarrod has come a long way behind the plate, but I love the way McCann handled the staff in his rookie season. If LaRoche has a big year, it looks like one of these guys would have to go eventually...

The assumption is that Salty will be the one to move, he has a bit more athleticism. He's probably headed for 1st, though there has been some talk of trying him in left.

LaRoche isn't in either of their leagues, in my opinion... especially Salty, that guy is a beast.

willdtarheeler 03-03-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraveGamer
The assumption is that Salty will be the one to move, he has a bit more athleticism. He's probably headed for 1st, though there has been some talk of trying him in left.

LaRoche isn't in either of their leagues, in my opinion... especially Salty, that guy is a beast.

Ill second that, I just turned on the TV when I got home this afternoon to ESPN, thought the WBC might be on, instead it was the Braves, and up comes Saltamacchia, boom, walkoff home run, game over, I love this guy, he's gonna be great. The Braves better find a way to keep him around.

Ger 03-05-2006 01:37 PM

bye bye LaRoche!

bravosfan 03-07-2006 05:04 PM

Guess who took ground balls at first base during pregame batting practice Tuesday? Hint: Big kid, long name.

Yes, Jarrod Saltamacchia, top-rated Braves prospect and No. 1 catching prospect in baseball.

“He’s just killing time out there, messing around,” Braves manager Bobby Cox said, rather unconvincingly.

Maybe he was just messing around, but if so then it’s quite a coincidence that Salty was taking grounders at first base the week after he had a double and triple in his first two at-bats in an Atlanta uniform (vs. the Georgia Bulldogs) and a game-ending three-run homer in his first Grapefruit League game against the Dodgers.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha..._sighting.html

:y220a:

TheMatrix31 03-07-2006 05:06 PM

If he were to play 1B, what happens to LaRoche....I guess he's gonna be traded or come off the bench if this comes true. I always thought LaRoche had a lot of talent, but havent been around Salty too much to know what he can do.

bravosfan 03-07-2006 05:22 PM

Salty has a chance to be something really special. 6'4" switch-hitter, massive power, great eye... and he's only 20.

LaRoche could become a good player. But as it stands, he's one of the worst offensive first basemen in baseball. I doubt he has much trade value... If/when Salty takes his job, he'll probably be a pinch-hitter and late-inning defensive replacement.

TheMatrix31 03-07-2006 05:37 PM

I definitely wouldnt mind him coming off the bench. Even though his offense isnt strong, I still feel like gets hits when we need 'em.

By the way you guys are pimping Saltamacchia, I guess I have no choice but to hope he gets the 1B spot.