Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Help Wanted!!! (/forums/showthread.php?t=165905)

Rickster101 04-05-2006 01:48 AM

Help Wanted!!!

1 Attachment(s)
I'm currently involved with working on three (3) rosters for updates and would appreciate some assistance from members who have a understanding and knowledge about rosters being put together for updating towards the upcoming season.

A working knowledge of Finns editor is a must but not totally necessary since this will eventually be the begininngs of a community project in which I will be more then happy to lead into the 2K7 version of the now defunt game until info about its return is confirmed and the stature of its impossed exile has been lifted...5 or 6 years is the time required (sentence) to wait until this backdoor ploy by certain partys who shall remain nameless is lifted and time is served.

And so gentlemen and ladies your contributions would be most greatly appreciated, I said ladies because some of us have that significant others that are always patient and understanding when it comes to our chosen hobby and free time activitys...so be nice to her!!!

And now the story.....

This particulary roster comes from contributions made by Dan77733 and one of my partners in crime...Daflyboy, a good friend and honest when it comes to telling it like it is and he's good at what he does!!!

What did he do? Alot of the right things if you really want to know check out his thread its all there. As for what I like about the roster set also is the detail Dan77733 put into it and he's done quite abit you can read about it in his thread also!!!

Now what we have here is a roster I consider user friendly especially for roster makers such as myself, the roster is not complete since its a work in progress and will not be rushed since the seasons just gearing up so patience is also required.

I've done most of the offensive and some defensive updates but check them because "things change" remember that and keep it constant inmind until any moves are confirmed via this site or actual NFL media reports that have been officially confirmed sometimes its best to check the source,media hype ya' know!

Players are missing from this roster so don't get yourself worked up about it we actually don't know whoes going to be going where we're just updating here fellas in "Real Time" so don't worry about "swelling" up the roster!!!

I tried to get the first (1st) second (2nd) and third (3rd) string players situated as close as possible and some slots higher (that aren't in all likely hood permenate) using the one site that actually is about the best and most updated when it comes to fantasty and video/cyber Football..."Ourlads" is the base for now from which I've been following roster slots and positions.

Remember to refer to this site for the updates as far as the slots and positions go this way we are on seeing the same thing when and if it changes this is important because it keeps the rosters focus and everyone one the same page!!!

http://www.ourlads.com/

Now there are some players we'll have to create since they aren't in the roster or FA and are significant to the teams so they will need to be there on the roster, best way probably is to pick a team that you can work update the players via FA moves to get them first so they'll have their slot and post if you've created a player for that slot, this can have to be done by re-posting the roster file for the next member to work on it.

No players should be deleted or names removed or copied over I've gotten most starters and bench players some are still FAs so be sure to check there and through teams in case I haven't made the move yet, basically the moves are whats needed and those missing players about 3-5 I'd say per team but their not all needed and probably won't make the cut so don't fall in love with those 4th,5th, and 6th slot players, rookies will be needing slots also so don't go over board and use common sense!!!

I have not created any players in this roster set but did remove the 100+ ratings from all the quarterbacks and set them at 90 max my philosophy is that with numbers that high the game will find it confussing somehow when a franchise or player progression takes place in the games cpu and hardcode program.

Now I haven't done all players at 100+ just the quarterbacks for now because I'm liking what I see from the gameplay and its looking good IMO, and also theres that one most dreaded issue that could arise and cause problems, that would be "Freezing" we dont want that so in keeping that in mind we know what may be contributing to this problem shoud it arise.

Now to start off rember don't do any editing other then the 100+ quarterbacks ratings thats all I've done also I wanted to note their speeds have been put back close to original defaults or miniums of "40" I really didn't change much other then the quarterbacks.

So just whats needed hear you probably thinking well the defensive players need some updating not alot since I've tried to cover them also but with three (3) rosters being worked I'm willing to share the knowledge.

Before I post the roster file and sliders used I'd like to get a general idea about just who would be willing to work on this project and contribute towards it updating and completion so give me a holla (Here) so I'll know what we have here in terms of guys wanting to work the file and re-post it for the next member to update, it'll all be done here at this site..."OS...Da Spot" so everyone will have an opportunity to contribute...if there a interest please reply here!!!

I made a few adjustments and got this!!!

Holla Back ya'll :y220b: :y11:
Rickster101

dan77733 04-05-2006 01:47 PM

Re: Help Wanted!!!

Thanks for the compliment about my roster but I advise against using it for future rosters because of that damn "starting QB is now the kick and/or punt returner" problem.

I'm not creating a new roster until the final cuts are made in September and the roster I create will be from scratch using VC's final roster update. I think my roster has that damn problem because I used two different editors from Finn.

Another reason I dont want to create a roster now is because there will be too many transactions once June hits. With salary cap cuts, rookies being officially signed and players coming and going in July and August, there's just too many things to keep up with which is why I just wait for final cuts. I copy every team's roster as of that night (Sunday September 3, 2006) that final cuts are required and paste it in a wordpad document. Then, I can fix rosters without having to be online.

I also wait until September because I will have my NFL football book that gives me all the stats and whatnot that I need to know in order to adjust player ratings accordingly. Looking for all the stats online is takes too much time and is a pain in the *** compared to looking at a written book.

If you or anyone else want to use my roster for updating or to use my franchise file in order to copy those rookies, feel free to do so but remember I advise against using my roster because of that problem I mentioned earlier. I hate having to control all 32 teams in order to avoid that damn problem.

As for 100 rated QB's, the only one is Peyton Manning in my roster. He broke Marino's TD record in 2004 and had a damn good season. Culpepper was second at 95 but everyone else is lower. Also, be advised that my roster is based on player's stats from the 2004 season.

The only other player to hit 100 is Terrell Owens but he'll most likely be lowered to 95 or 98 for my 2k7 roster. Other then Owens and Manning, no player is rated then 98 and there arent that many who are at 98.

Rickster101 04-05-2006 05:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Dan77733 I have taken into account that one glaring issue about QBs and the kick return game but haven't come across any problems as of yet since this roster has gone thru a rather nice update of sorts by Dafltboy it appears to be holding up quite well so far but I haven't put it through any franchise modes yet but feel more then confident that it'll turnout just fine with a little work.

You've pretty much followed the basic protocal for constructing and implimenting a roster by using the online default roster suggested by Finn himself which helps to reduce issues dealing with player edits and file freezing.

I've gone over the roster myself and to be honest with you theres nothing wrong with it other then some possible edits that have caused this issue a simple solution would be to keep them close to the original defaults or within simular ones used in the game that relate to actual edits used for that players designated position an example would be the edits you've implimented for certain attributes that don't relate to other positions, that scrambling edit would be one that stands out and doesn't work well with other players.

As for statistical data relating to players and their performances during the season I've already solved that with my 2K5 and 2K6 versions and the results were about as close to NFL stats within reason reflecting the past season so I've no problem on that end my season and the numbers add up with positive results using my own personal edits.

As for the original edits there seems to be a sorta catch attached to them with that penalty issue attached to the players, for serious hardcore gamers that would be a cool concept but not many guys IMO are really concerned with issues regarding such manegment and off field issues.

I've been working off and on with rosters for quite awhile now and haven't seen a roster yet that hasen't presented some problems at one time or another, this roster is no exception and presents simular issues that can be corrected if looked at closely.

If you've read through my post you'll see that no timeline was mentioned and that individuals with patience and a working knowledge of Finns editor was a plus but not necessarly needed, any roster can be re-set to defaults and started over again thats not the issue here and I have redone some of the QB edits to bring them within the games know parameters by reducing edits on the QBs for stability and gameplay which inturn eliviates some of those freezing issues.

I do see your concerns Dan77733 and appreciate the time and effort put into this project but for me September is just too far away to just sit and not do anything when I can get a start and see ahead of the pack...I've done it before and I can do it again as long as I've access to Finns editor and my own research and updating skills to fall upon.

As I've stated this is just one of three (3) rosters I'm currently working on and with the work myself Daflyboy and you have done to this point I see no reason why this couldn't be a community effort since we're not the only ones wanting to see a version of 2K7 and I'm sure together with another set of eyes on this we all can share this roster and get input from the community at large.

If theres no interest shown here I'll continue to work on it on my own and have no problem with that other then time but thats cool because the seasons sill aways off and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon so again I do understand your concerns but don't feel waiting until September is necessary at least not for me but I don't want too rush it either and would like to see you involved in this community effort if an interest is there, its up to you and whom ever eles has an interest.

If theres no real interest in working a community roster then I'll simply not post what I have so far and again continue to work on my roster projects on my own, I only wanted to involve the members here with a project all can share in.

Holla Back ya'll :y220b: :y11:
Rickster101

tpaterniti 04-06-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan77733
The only other player to hit 100 is Terrell Owens but he'll most likely be lowered to 95 or 98 for my 2k7 roster. Other then Owens and Manning, no player is rated then 98 and there arent that many who are at 98.

If Manning is 100, then Brady should be 100 no question. He is a better QB than Manning. Manning throws his TDs in a climate-controlled dome, Brady throws his in the snow, wind and ice, and we know what happens to Peyton when he encounters those things. Brady has his best games in big games (barring the one against the Broncos), Manning goes to pieces in big games. I bet he would give every one of those 49 TDs he threw during the season to have been able to win his playoff game against the Pats, in which he threw 0 TDs (now that's irony, the guy who threw more TDs than anyone else did during the regular season couldn't even get a single one in a big game verses the Pats). 1 INT, and a meagre 238 yds. Lest you think this was a fluke, this year he threw 1 TD and 1 INT (counting Polamolu's INT) and about 58% completion against the Steelers, the year before in the Conference championship he threw 1 TD and 4 INTs, and the year before he lost 41-0 against the Jets in the Wild Card game. He throws 60-70+% when you play him back, but when you pressure him and bump his WRs like the Pats and Steelers did in the playoffs the last couple of years, his completion percentage fall below 60%. He threw 49 TDs because last year he had the best WR in football, another legit #1 in Reggie Wayne, and a viable #2 in Stokely, along with 2 top 10 TEs and a top 5 RB. Some called it the greatest assembly of offensive talent on a single team. Most importantly, last year was the first year that pass interference was called more strictly, and neither refs nor DBs were all that certain how to call it, the result being ridiculous numbers for Peyton.

Anyway, Peyton's composure should be very low, I would venture in the 40s or less based on the way he plays.

Be careful of using stats too much. Especially with QBs, so many things influence for example yards and TD numbers.If a team has a better RB, maybe the QB doesn't throw as many TDs, but that doesn't mean he is necessarily that any worse than a guy who throws more.

I use stats to increase players' rankings but not to decrease them. If you think about what stats are, the wisdom of this becomes clear. Stats tell you what a player has done, and that's all. Not what he could or couldn't do, but just what he did under a given circumstance. Of course if stats become a trend that is another issue.

dan77733 04-06-2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickster101
Thanks for the reply Dan77733 I have taken into account that one glaring issue about QBs and the kick return game but haven't come across any problems as of yet since this roster has gone thru a rather nice update of sorts by Dafltboy it appears to be holding up quite well so far but I haven't put it through any franchise modes yet but feel more then confident that it'll turnout just fine with a little work.

You've pretty much followed the basic protocal for constructing and implimenting a roster by using the online default roster suggested by Finn himself which helps to reduce issues dealing with player edits and file freezing.

I've gone over the roster myself and to be honest with you theres nothing wrong with it other then some possible edits that have caused this issue a simple solution would be to keep them close to the original defaults or within simular ones used in the game that relate to actual edits used for that players designated position an example would be the edits you've implimented for certain attributes that don't relate to other positions, that scrambling edit would be one that stands out and doesn't work well with other players.

As for statistical data relating to players and their performances during the season I've already solved that with my 2K5 and 2K6 versions and the results were about as close to NFL stats within reason reflecting the past season so I've no problem on that end my season and the numbers add up with positive results using my own personal edits.

As for the original edits there seems to be a sorta catch attached to them with that penalty issue attached to the players, for serious hardcore gamers that would be a cool concept but not many guys IMO are really concerned with issues regarding such manegment and off field issues.

I've been working off and on with rosters for quite awhile now and haven't seen a roster yet that hasen't presented some problems at one time or another, this roster is no exception and presents simular issues that can be corrected if looked at closely.

If you've read through my post you'll see that no timeline was mentioned and that individuals with patience and a working knowledge of Finns editor was a plus but not necessarly needed, any roster can be re-set to defaults and started over again thats not the issue here and I have redone some of the QB edits to bring them within the games know parameters by reducing edits on the QBs for stability and gameplay which inturn eliviates some of those freezing issues.

I do see your concerns Dan77733 and appreciate the time and effort put into this project but for me September is just too far away to just sit and not do anything when I can get a start and see ahead of the pack...I've done it before and I can do it again as long as I've access to Finns editor and my own research and updating skills to fall upon.

As I've stated this is just one of three (3) rosters I'm currently working on and with the work myself Daflyboy and you have done to this point I see no reason why this couldn't be a community effort since we're not the only ones wanting to see a version of 2K7 and I'm sure together with another set of eyes on this we all can share this roster and get input from the community at large.

If theres no interest shown here I'll continue to work on it on my own and have no problem with that other then time but thats cool because the seasons sill aways off and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon so again I do understand your concerns but don't feel waiting until September is necessary at least not for me but I don't want too rush it either and would like to see you involved in this community effort if an interest is there, its up to you and whom ever eles has an interest.

If theres no real interest in working a community roster then I'll simply not post what I have so far and again continue to work on my roster projects on my own, I only wanted to involve the members here with a project all can share in.

It's not that I dont want to be involved, its just that I dont have the time (or patience) to help with another roster. The main reason I wait until September is because I want to make sure that my roster is as close to opening kickoff as possible but also because I dont want to create any rookies or players that wont make it past the final cuts. No point in wasting time creating a player who wont be on the team after final cuts. It's just extra work that can be avoided. Another reason is because I dont edit anything in-game (except attributes) and that includes "re-naming" and using the "create a player" option. I overwrite players who dont make it past final cuts unless they're young.

For example, QB Kerry Collins is expected to retire. If he does and isnt on a team come September, I overwrite him into someone else. I eliminate all the old retired players because I hate seeing the CPU sign them in franchise. All my free agents are 5 years pro or younger.

It took me two months to create that roster I posted in January and another month or so to update it to my "2k6" roster. Once final cuts are done in September, I will try to finish my roster within two weeks.

You said that you're working on 3 rosters. Why? What's the difference between the 3 and wouldnt it be easier to just create 1 roster? I'm just to figure out why you're creating 3 rosters as opposed to just going all-out with 1.

As for that damn "starting QB/punt/kick returner" problem, it only happens in franchise mode and after week 1 is completed. If you're controlling all 32 teams, then the problem can be avoided but it's a pain in the ***. The only positive is that I dont have to worry about any stupid CPU trades. The problem doesnt affect "quick games".

I tried getting around the problem but havent been able to do so. I tried starting a franchise with the game's default roster and then import the teams but that doesnt work because players years pro and contracts get all switched around.

I was thinking about doing a "fast" roster update after the Draft. Basically, just adding some rookies and switching players teams but I would still have the same problem that im having now, so it kind of becomes pointless.

Right now, im waiting for the 2006 NFL schedule to be announced so I can set it up and save the file in Finn's editor and then post it here in a day or so.

Good luck creating your rosters. And out of curiosity, with all the testing and everything you do, have you ever played at least one season in franchise or do you just stick to "quick games"?

For me, its all about franchise, which is why those damn off-season problems piss me off so much. Its just that the damn CPU AI is so damn stupid that its just sad.

dan77733 04-06-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpaterniti
If Manning is 100, then Brady should be 100 no question. He is a better QB than Manning. Manning throws his TDs in a climate-controlled dome, Brady throws his in the snow, wind and ice, and we know what happens to Peyton when he encounters those things. Brady has his best games in big games (barring the one against the Broncos), Manning goes to pieces in big games. I bet he would give every one of those 49 TDs he threw during the season to have been able to win his playoff game against the Pats, in which he threw 0 TDs (now that's irony, the guy who threw more TDs than anyone else did during the regular season couldn't even get a single one in a big game verses the Pats). 1 INT, and a meagre 238 yds. Lest you think this was a fluke, this year he threw 1 TD and 1 INT (counting Polamolu's INT) and about 58% completion against the Steelers, the year before in the Conference championship he threw 1 TD and 4 INTs, and the year before he lost 41-0 against the Jets in the Wild Card game. He throws 60-70+% when you play him back, but when you pressure him and bump his WRs like the Pats and Steelers did in the playoffs the last couple of years, his completion percentage fall below 60%. He threw 49 TDs because last year he had the best WR in football, another legit #1 in Reggie Wayne, and a viable #2 in Stokely, along with 2 top 10 TEs and a top 5 RB. Some called it the greatest assembly of offensive talent on a single team. Most importantly, last year was the first year that pass interference was called more strictly, and neither refs nor DBs were all that certain how to call it, the result being ridiculous numbers for Peyton.

Anyway, Peyton's composure should be very low, I would venture in the 40s or less based on the way he plays.

Be careful of using stats too much. Especially with QBs, so many things influence for example yards and TD numbers.If a team has a better RB, maybe the QB doesn't throw as many TDs, but that doesn't mean he is necessarily that any worse than a guy who throws more.

I use stats to increase players' rankings but not to decrease them. If you think about what stats are, the wisdom of this becomes clear. Stats tell you what a player has done, and that's all. Not what he could or couldn't do, but just what he did under a given circumstance. Of course if stats become a trend that is another issue.

I understand what you're saying but I dont include the playoffs when I edit attributes and overall ratings. It's not fair because there are only 12 teams and 20 teams are missing. I personally think that Manning is still the best pure QB in the NFL. Brady is right behind him but like I said, I go according to season stats and adjust player ratings accordingly. As for Owens, he's my favorite player and I'll admit that I included his SB performance but its mainly because that he proved he could dominate despite coming back from a broken fibula when every other receiver in the league would have used the injury as an excuse for a longer vacation. Since I dont check player's stats until I get my football book in the summer, its safe to say that as of now, no player will surpass the 98 overall rating.

NickChew 04-06-2006 07:21 PM

Hey fellas,

I have been putting some effort into a 2K7 roster file over the last couple months as well, kind of a continuation from the original GCO community update from the end of last year. I don't want to butt in and say this is how its done, so I won't get into everything. But my interest is still here for another update this year. I'm all for everyone's input and suggestions as Rick stated earlier.

I've revamped alot of the gamechewover site, slowly but surely, but I have some ideas for us that I think would be excellent in putting all our input into one file. One idea would consist of being able to host spreadsheets and other documents to look at ratings, where users can give input and adjustment suggestions in the blog or forums where the whole community can view each player's ratings all at once. As usual, I'll keep in touch here on the OS forums too.

I'm sure we'll get a few great 2K7 rosters from this community no matter what roads we all take! But I'm down for a community roster :)

thenbagamer 04-07-2006 02:38 PM

Are Martin Gramatica and Tebucky jones on the pats in this roster?