Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How good will Phillip Rivers be? (/forums/showthread.php?t=166105)

dieselboy 04-06-2006 06:41 PM

How good will Phillip Rivers be?

Remember, this guy was considered better than Big Ben and Eli, by some teams, when he was coming out of NC State. He was a four year starter, who broke numerous conference and school records. In his senior season he completed 72% of his passes, threw 34 TDs to 7 picks, 4,500 yards, and was the ACC player of the year. Plus he is big (6'5 235), strong, and is very smart. Don't forgot how amazing he was at college. He was the most experienced QB in that draft, and now he has learned on the bench for two years.

His only negatives coming out where the throwing motion, and he doesn't throw the best deep ball.

So how good will he be for the Chargers in 2006? Well, when you look at the history of highly touted QBs, none of the QBs who have been drafted high, and sat on the bench before becomming the starter have amazing track records.

Plus, consider this. In 2003, Drew Brees had a QB rating of 67.5, and completed only 57% of his passes. Insert Keenan McCardell (well, 1.5), Antonio Gates, an improving line, and Drew Brees is one of the best quarterbacks in football the past two seasons.

So where does this leave Rivers? He has an improving line, one of the best RBs in football, the best receiving TE in football, some solid WRs, and possibly a young rookie WR. So what do you guys expect of him?

I have high expectations. Well, high compared to most people. (If healthy) I would expect him to be in probably the 75-85 QB RTG area. Throw for over 3,000 yards, 18-20 TDs, 15-18 INTs, 58-60%.

So what do you all think? I know BK probably thinks the Chargers will go 0-16 and Rivers will be at the bottom of the league in every passing category....but what about the rest of you?

MassNole 04-06-2006 06:43 PM

Re: How good will Phillip Rivers be?

Your assessment seems good. He will probably have around a 1:1 TD/INT Ratio, but I agree with you on yards and completion percentage.

nofearsp2007 04-06-2006 06:44 PM

I think that he can be decent as a starter for the chargers. He will get better as the year goes on once he starts to get into the thick of things. I think that he will be a great qb in the seasons to come.

bkrich83 04-06-2006 06:48 PM

He will lose his starting spot by week 11, and the Chargers finish the year back to their normal 4-12, only to take Brady Quinn in the first round in 2007.

Flyboy 04-06-2006 06:53 PM

Using reverse bk-logic... that means he'll be a Pro Bowler next year.

bkrich83 04-06-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy
Using reverse bk-logic... that means he'll be a Pro Bowler next year.

And they will still draft Brady Quinn in the first round.

Psyblast 04-06-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrich83
And they will still draft Brady Quinn in the first round.

:spit:

sportsdude 04-06-2006 07:37 PM

With Philip Rivers starting, you're looking at the next Super Bowl Champions in San Diego. Drew Brees held that team back much more so than most of you think. Look how poorly he did when the line wasn't as good and he didn't have Antonio Gates. Actually, look at last year when Gates was hurt. The Chargers sucked despite having a good line, the best RB in the game, and serviceable receivers (Caldwell played well before getting hurt). Brees is overrated and Philip will take this team to the promised land, mark my words.