Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I don't understand this....Year 2...Radio Announcer... (/forums/showthread.php?t=174297)

djordan 07-06-2006 10:47 AM

I don't understand this....Year 2...Radio Announcer...

Why does PS2/XBOX have play by play but for the second year now XBOX 360 have the Radio announcer?

Doesn't make any sense really. I can see how they wanted to change it for 1 year but everyone thought they were bringing play by play to XBOX 360 in Madden 2007. If EA is claiming that the radio announcer is better than play by play why isn't it on current gen systems?

I don't even want to hear about the system limitations....

Badgun 07-06-2006 10:55 AM

Re: I don't understand this....Year 2...Radio Announcer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by djordan
Why does PS2/XBOX have play by play but for the second year now XBOX 360 have the Radio announcer?

Doesn't make any sense really. I can see how they wanted to change it for 1 year but everyone thought they were bringing play by play to XBOX 360 in Madden 2007. If EA is claiming that the radio announcer is better than play by play why isn't it on current gen systems?

I guarantee you it has something to do with getting people to buy both versions. EA will never admit to that, but why else would you do it? You make the games different enough to where people with both systems feel like they are missing something if they don't get both.

quietcool72 07-06-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djordan

That's where I'm at too. I'm sure they'll say it was time contraints...the old standby. Yet, I'm sure it took a SIGNIFICANT amount of time to record the radio announcer's work (especially since its mostly player/team specific.) So it makes you wonder why that time wasn't spent on real commentary. (And if it is mock-radio commentary, almost 100% of the time, that's a two man deal anyway..)

I'm not quite sure WHAT we are getting this year. I see more animations, but what's the deal with this control the blocker thing? Could this not be a cover for bad blocking AI and their reluctance to work on it themselves? Or is this a case of "Well, our AI doesn't measure up, so we'll let the player do it themselves and call it a big feature." Not to be overly pessimistic, but this sounds like it could be a bit of bad AI duct-taping while convincing us its a big new thing. (Hey, our run blocking reeks, you do it yourself.)

But it goes deeper. We should already have the commentary. (Yet we don't.) we should at LEAST be talking about the much ballyhooed "ESPN integration". However, it sounds like we are getting a friggin' "ESPN Ticker".

Wow.

That's unbelievably underwhelming.

And- according to Gamespot's interview, the EA producer spoke of only "Team specific defensive playbooks" as it pertains to current gen.

Typical.

I guess Madden 2010 will have the stuff we expected this year...at this rate.

LBzrule 07-06-2006 11:24 AM

Maybe with the next gen they want to go a different direction with the commentary and just have not decided on who they want to use yet. So they decide to stay generic until they pick up the people they want?? I dunno.

The complaints about Madden and Michaels have been severe so why would they rush and put those guys in when they might want to go a different direction next year or the year afterwards?

Jimplication 07-06-2006 11:32 AM

No radio announcer on the PS2 version? That's a big plus for me, as I hated that guy.

mr_president 07-06-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBzrule
Maybe with the next gen they want to go a different direction with the commentary and just have not decided on who they want to use yet. So they decide to stay generic until they pick up the people they want?? I dunno.

The complaints about Madden and Michaels have been severe so why would they rush and put those guys in when they might want to go a different direction next year or the year afterwards?

wasn't madden and summerall just as bad ?? then they changed it to madden and michaels...again bad, now they have the radio announcer...guess what??yup you guessed it-bad....is there a pattern here or is it just me?? they should have fixed the commentary when 2k hit the shelves and showed how a game should be called....that was what 6-7 years ago right??

onetonmartin 07-06-2006 11:44 AM

I didn't mind the radio announcer, just clean up the gameplay.

spankdatazz22 07-06-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quietcool72
I guess Madden 2010 will have the stuff we expected this year...at this rate.

That could be the sad truth unfortunately. It's almost like they did no forward thinking whatsoever when it came to making their next gen football games. Graphics are improved, but that's to be expected. Player interaction is more of the same. The commentary is particularly puzzling because it just seems like such a half-hearted effort; presentation is actually worse than current gen. There are so many directions they could've went in - having several generic teams call games, having a 3-man booth, etc. None of those directions should've been having one man making a simulated radio call of the game for every team. Tiburon comes off as being near-totally clueless with the decisions they're making.