Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Football Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Al's sign Jesse Palmer (/forums/showthread.php?t=182890)

VanCitySportsGuy 09-11-2006 02:24 PM

Al's sign Jesse Palmer

http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=177162&hubname=

I'm sure Al's fans hope this works out better than the Quincy Carter signing.

Most 80 year old's are faster than Palmer, so I don't like the odds of him having success in the CFL.

MassNole 09-11-2006 04:09 PM

Re: Al's sign Jesse Palmer

Does the CFL have a requirement that so many roster spots go to Canadians?

VanCitySportsGuy 09-11-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 2620216)
Does the CFL have a requirement that so many roster spots go to Canadians?

Yes. On the game roster (39 players), you can't have more than 17 imports (Americans) on the roster.

Every QB in the CFL is American, and the majority of the RB's and WR's are American.

Donovan 09-11-2006 05:15 PM

You see a lot of Canadians on the O line primarily, as its hard for imports to come in and get used to the 1 yard between D linemen and the speed the O line needs to have to compete in the CFL.

I could see Palmer doing well, if his team has a good O line, and if its a very methodical offence. Theres no way he's slower than Danny McManus was his whole career, I'm sure he can move a little bit.

SPTO 09-11-2006 05:42 PM

Montreal has generally over the years had a good O-line but look who's the starter. It's not like Calvillo is going to suddenly get injured. The man is remarkably sturdy.

IF Palmer is given a shot then I think he could do ok.

MassNole 09-11-2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianflow (Post 2620282)
Yes. On the game roster (39 players), you can't have more than 17 imports (Americans) on the roster.

Every QB in the CFL is American, and the majority of the RB's and WR's are American.

So then having a Canadian at a skill position opens up a roster spot elsewhere for an American?

VanCitySportsGuy 09-12-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 2620523)
So then having a Canadian at a skill position opens up a roster spot elsewhere for an American?

Yes.

For example it's a huge bonus if you have a couple of starting Canadian WR's because you can add more Americans at other skilled positions. For the most part, American players are better than Canadian players.