Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Screens, Play Action, Reverses, etc (/forums/showthread.php?t=191411)

Stu 11-30-2006 03:37 PM

Screens, Play Action, Reverses, etc

I've never seen a game be able to get these right. Is anyone able to pull these off? Any tips?

Things like screen passes, WR screens, play action, WR reverses, etc? I've had very little success in previous versions so was wondering how these work in 07.

The only one I've been able to get to work is play action but 90% of the time, I get sacked before I get a chance to throw the ball.

I can complete screen passes but the catching animation doesnt let them catch it in a good position to run. Most of the time they're moving backwards or in towards the defensive line and get tackled immediately.

On reverses I let the CPU run it and they rarely even get the handoff. I don't think I've even made it past the line of scrimmage on a reverse.

parker002 11-30-2006 04:11 PM

Re: Screens, Play Action, Reverses, etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by camulos (Post 2792114)
I've never seen a game be able to get these right. Is anyone able to pull these off? Any tips?

Things like screen passes, WR screens, play action, WR reverses, etc? I've had very little success in previous versions so was wondering how these work in 07.

The only one I've been able to get to work is play action but 90% of the time, I get sacked before I get a chance to throw the ball.

I can complete screen passes but the catching animation doesnt let them catch it in a good position to run. Most of the time they're moving backwards or in towards the defensive line and get tackled immediately.

On reverses I let the CPU run it and they rarely even get the handoff. I don't think I've even made it past the line of scrimmage on a reverse.

I use a TON of playaction, but I don't use default sliders, so I can't comment on your sack problem.

WR screens work great for me. And the WR running in towards the D-line is actually how at least one of the screens is supposed to work - it's a jailbreak cutback screen where your blockers actually seal the outside on the WR cuts back to the middle. Great play, in the game and in real life.

capone2117 11-30-2006 04:14 PM

This can be attributed to random luck...try running a iso up the middle...7 out of 10 times, your gonna get stuffed...same with all the plays you mentioned...if you continued to run them over and over, they might work...but to get them to really work at any point in the game, it is tricky...you really have to know what each play is derived from...wr reverse- fake comes off a iso/off tackle, then receiver takes it...it is like that for all the plays...

Stu 11-30-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker002 (Post 2792205)
I use a TON of playaction, but I don't use default sliders, so I can't comment on your sack problem.

WR screens work great for me. And the WR running in towards the D-line is actually how at least one of the screens is supposed to work - it's a jailbreak cutback screen where your blockers actually seal the outside on the WR cuts back to the middle. Great play, in the game and in real life.

The WR screen is the one screen I've actually had some success with. The WR actually catches it on the run. With the RB screen it seems like even when i catch them on a blitz, somebody reacts by the time the RB catches the ball, collects himself and is ready to head upfield.

bgeno 11-30-2006 04:49 PM

Is this 360 or current gen?

I have very little problem with screens on current gen... it's mostly timing and a little bit of luck. My suggestion: roll away from where the screen is going a little. Then, when u get the ball, let your linemen block and find the whole... sometimes its there, sometimes it isn't.

Playactions on the current gen work as long as you run a bootleg play-action. It you can, leave the TE in to block if you are rolling that way... sure, it takes away a pass route, but u get that blocking there.

I've never made a reverse work.

Stu 11-30-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgeno (Post 2792286)
Is this 360 or current gen?

I have very little problem with screens on current gen... it's mostly timing and a little bit of luck. My suggestion: roll away from where the screen is going a little. Then, when u get the ball, let your linemen block and find the whole... sometimes its there, sometimes it isn't.

Playactions on the current gen work as long as you run a bootleg play-action. It you can, leave the TE in to block if you are rolling that way... sure, it takes away a pass route, but u get that blocking there.

I've never made a reverse work.

It's on PS2.

I'll try that on screens. I tend to roll towards the play so maybe I'm too close. I don't expect them to work all the time, just once in awhile would be nice.

Do bootlegs work with a slow QB?

Thanks for the advice.

fistofrage 11-30-2006 04:56 PM

I play with some pretty nasty sliders that are heavily favored toward the CPU and I have run some reverses for major yards. The AI actually does adapt to your play-calling so run the reverse after you have established the run to that side. The CPI will stack and over pursue.

In fact, I just ran a 35 TD on a reverse with OK State last night, it was against a D rated D1aa school, but it was wide open.

bgeno 11-30-2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camulos (Post 2792297)
It's on PS2.

I'll try that on screens. I tend to roll towards the play so maybe I'm too close. I don't expect them to work all the time, just once in awhile would be nice.

Do bootlegs work with a slow QB?

Thanks for the advice.

Bootlegging with a slow QB works better than a regular play action, but obviously it isn't as effective as with a mobile QB, which I have.