Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Console/Portable Talk (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   PS3 Online: Background Downloading, the Sony Way. (/forums/showthread.php?t=199707)

Bacardi151 02-28-2007 06:49 AM

PS3 Online: Background Downloading, the Sony Way.

not sure if this was posted already, but in case it wasnt:

http://www.innerbits.com.nyud.net:80...-the-sony-way/

"Today we start with background downloading. Sony has let slip that background downloading will finally be made available in the 1.60 firmware update. Unfortunately, users will end up being a bit confused, and then frustrated by what background downloading actually entails. Background downloading only functions within the context of the Cross Media Bar (XMB). Specifically, there will be no downloading while the user is a playing a game."

ExtremeGamer 02-28-2007 07:19 AM

Re: PS3 Online: Background Downloading, the Sony Way.

Are you freaking serious?! What's the point then???? So now instead of watching it download, I have to stare at the dashboard while it downloads. Amazing, simply amazing.

CaptainZombie 02-28-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer (Post 2971896)
Are you freaking serious?! What's the point then???? So now instead of watching it download, I have to stare at the dashboard while it downloads. Amazing, simply amazing.

You can't play games with the 360 while something downloads, so your still staring at the dashboard. I understand where you are coming from, Sony should be capitalizing on a feature that MS doesn't have.

ExtremeGamer 02-28-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman56 (Post 2972077)
You can't play games with the 360 while something downloads, so your still staring at the dashboard. I understand where you are coming from, Sony should be capitalizing on a feature that MS doesn't have.

Huh? I played NBA2K7 while the MLB demo downloaded. It finished while I was playing.

CaptainZombie 02-28-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer (Post 2972105)
Huh? I played NBA2K7 while the MLB demo downloaded. It finished while I was playing.

Mine for some reason when I tried that on another game not to long ago stopped downloading when I went to play the game. What could be the problem? I have the latest update.

shon 02-28-2007 09:21 AM

On 360 you can download while playing but not while playing an online game. Single player download away.

Did they mention anything about queuing downloads?

CaptainZombie 02-28-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shon (Post 2972114)
On 360 you can download while playing but not while playing an online game. Single player download away.

Did they mention anything about queuing downloads?

Thanks Shon, I bet I was trying to play a MP game at the time. :google:

ExtremeGamer 02-28-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman56 (Post 2972141)
Thanks Shon, I bet I was trying to play a MP game at the time. :google:

Yeah, you can't play online, because it would be 2 streams of online downloads then. But if you are playing single player, it'll download fine. Crackdown doesn't allow it because it's always online, but every other game I have does.