Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NFL Official Team Threads (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Bear Den 2007-2008 (Official Chicago Bears Discussion thread) (/forums/showthread.php?t=205276)

feeq14 04-29-2007 09:48 AM

Bear Den 2007-2008 (Official Chicago Bears Discussion thread)

Welcom to the Official Bears thread for 08- Try to keep most bears discussion here unless of course its big news (Tank breaks out of Cook county prison)

Ok first and foremost, Chicago Bears.com has some great draft coverage up with scouting reports and interviews on the front page.

Now how do you guys feel about our draft so far.

Here's my take

Drew Olsen-I never thought we would pick him, even when he dropped to us. JA never seems to take the guy everyone wants, yet were usually happy with what we get. Now he takes a guy we wanted and im Excited yet nervous. However i think he will be really good for us. I think he could have been the second or third TE picked in last years draft which was really deep at TE. Dez Clark was good but he is over 30 and only 6'2, this guy is 6'5 with 4.5 speed. He finnaly brings another verticle threat to the offense to stretch the fiedl. My only problem is that they say he cant block and he kind of looks like a pretty boy. He looks like the Blond prince from Shrek 2 and 3 and thats not very Bear like. We need a TE that looks lik...............DAAAAA COACH

Dave Bauzin- I hadnt heard of the guy till we drafted him. All the scouting reports that i read about him sound good. He had some good production in the MAC and supposedly has good slashing pass rusher style of play which should fit well with our Dline rotation. JA has a decent defensive player and 2nd round track record. Still even though We got a ton of picks from sandiego, i might have wanted to stay at that 37 spot cause there were some good WRs still on the board (Jarret?)

Garret Wolfe-I was kinda surprised here cause it seemed like a bit of a reach, most big boards had Wolfe in the 5th on down to not being drafted. I personally like him. He is a hometown kid. I knew the bears were looking for a smaller shiftier back that what they have and i actually called us picking him after lorenzo booker was picked but i figured it would be with one of our 5th round picks.

Micheal Okwo- I was really hoping Quincy Black would still be around, again i question the wisdom of trading away that 37th pick. I knew of this guy but dont know much about him. He is undersized but thats not an issue in the Tampa 2. According to reports he projects to Lance Briggs spot. JA has found plent of Gems at LB before, we still have picks from last year that are waitng for a turn.

My predictions/hopes for 4-7, in which we have a total of 5 more picks. I look for us to adress the O line with our next possible pick, probably at tackle. There are still plenty of high upside OTs on the board, I like possibly Doug Free who is another Illinois prospect, and some boards had him as a possible 2nd or 3rd rounder. Also i figure we take on a project at WR someone with great measurables but not production like a Matt Trannon (6'6 WR from Michigan state) with one of those lat 5ht rounders. And i hope we take at least one talented DB either a safety or corner. We are gonna lose either Tillman or Vasher after this year and we now have to deal with Calvin Johsnon and Sidney Rice so we need some DBs. here is my board for the rest of the Draft

4-Doug Free OT-Northern Illinoise
5-Marcus Thomas DT- Florida
5-Fred Bennet CB- South Carolina
7-Matt Trannon WR-Michigan State
7-Mike Jones OG-Iowa

OK so we went to the super bowl last year, im excited about our draft. Im looking forward to next year.

Whaaaazuuuuup 04-29-2007 11:27 AM

Re: Bear Den 2007-2008 (Official Chicago Bears Discussion thread)

i'd really like to see the Bears grab another SS to protect Mike Brown (injuries) and a QB for Grossman (for obvious reasons)...

Motown 04-29-2007 11:56 PM

I'm diggin' the BEARS picks...hey Feeq, that's Greg Olsen not Drew :y1: j/p
anyways did anyone pick this dude... Codera Jackson CB Youngstown St. yeah, he played DII, but i'm tellin' ya, this guy is a potential "Shutdown CB"
hell, he shut down D Williams (PSU) & y'all KNOW that guy can ball. I'd love to see the BEARS give the man a shot...if he wasn't drafted.:y220:

I see, where we signed Chris Leak as well...hey ya never know.

feeq14 04-30-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motown (Post 3089738)
I'm diggin' the BEARS picks...hey Feeq, that's Greg Olsen not Drew :y1: j/p
anyways did anyone pick this dude... Codera Jackson CB Youngstown St. yeah, he played DII, but i'm tellin' ya, this guy is a potential "Shutdown CB"
hell, he shut down D Williams (PSU) & y'all KNOW that guy can ball. I'd love to see the BEARS give the man a shot...if he wasn't drafted.:y220:

I see, where we signed Chris Leak as well...hey ya never know.

Yeah great another undersized erratic Florida QB exept smaller and with a weaker arm. But hey im cool with it. Im still looking for rex to make strides this year

Motown 04-30-2007 11:52 AM

BEARS sign another FA:
2. David Ball - WR - New Hampshire
Record setting wideout( Broke Jerry Rice's record for TDs) looks like he will be a top flight possession
receiver in the pros. Small in stature for a WR 6'1 196, but has TREMENDOUS hands and body control and averaged 15.3 yards per catch...thoughts?

Jistic 04-30-2007 03:09 PM

Bears signed Darius Walker and Chris Frome of ND.

I can't comment a whole lot about our draft cuz I don't know all the players and Angelo has a good track record in the late rounds. But you don't even need to ask me what I think of our first pick.

But Mo, I know you gotta be buggin rooting for all of these 'Canes! :woot:

I'll bring you over to the dark side yet!

poster 04-30-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jistic (Post 3090981)
Bears signed Darius Walker and Chris Frome of ND.

I can't comment a whole lot about our draft cuz I don't know all the players and Angelo has a good track record in the late rounds. But you don't even need to ask me what I think of our first pick.

But Mo, I know you gotta be buggin rooting for all of these 'Canes! :woot:

I'll bring you over to the dark side yet!

Hey bro, will he be as good as the last Cane we took. :) Hope so. We better see alot of 2 TE sets, espically in the red zone. I still have nightmares about GB doing that to us all day in Favre's golden years.

Hard to judge the draft. Last year everyone said Hester was a reach pick, and 1 year later everyone is looking for the next Hester.

Jistic 04-30-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poster (Post 3090989)
Hey bro, will he be as good as the last Cane we took. :) Hope so. We better see alot of 2 TE sets, espically in the red zone. I still have nightmares about GB doing that to us all day in Favre's golden years.

Hard to judge the draft. Last year everyone said Hester was a reach pick, and 1 year later everyone is looking for the next Hester.

*ahem*...everyone?

Olsen can be very good.....but we have Ron Turner, so who knows how he'll be used. However he is a matchup nightmare for defenses.