Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   All Pro Football 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   QB Vision Cone alternatives (/forums/showthread.php?t=205578)

TeeDogg 05-02-2007 04:33 PM

QB Vision Cone alternatives

Let me start by saying this is NOT to attack EA's vision cone. But even though i cant dispute its gameplay implications, and its grounded in realism. i hate that thing. im just currious as to what the great minds here could come up with as an alternative, that could deliver a sense of realism.

one thing is in real life you can look off a DB then in a split instance look exactly where ever on the feild you want, with out having to take time to position your line of sight.

one idea i have is to assign a "look off D" rating to QB's and be able to crank it up in the coaching settings. then have the CPU Qb make the efforts. some QBs would be better than others and having the coach put too much emphasis on it could affect accuracy

another would be a assigning "look off button" so to speak, but im having trouble figuring out how i would implement it.

until an exception Idea is come up with, im satiffied with the pump fake.
I will be the first to admit my ideas are not exactly great, but thats why im posting, what ideas do you guys have?

wwharton 05-02-2007 04:40 PM

Re: QB Vision Cone alternatives

I actually think the vision cone is one of the few things added to madden in a real attempt to get closer to realism. It's a pain in the butt but that's b/c that's how it should be. I'd go even further and say it works pretty much exactly how first person football worked too.

That doesn't answer your question but it does kinda say that there aren't a lot of other ideas out there. I think Fever had an interesting approach. Does anyone remember Fever's passing system?

Maybe they should just allow you to pass to a guy you're not looking at but since no QB would ever really do that, when you hit the button, the QB has to go thru the process of turning to look and then throwing the ball (so you'd just have to hit the right button but the timing would be off a second or two if you didn't make him turn to the guy yourself)... this would be different than making a horrible pass if you don't look first.

Best I can do.

LBzrule 05-02-2007 04:43 PM

It would have been better if it was the QB's head turning instead of a flashlight on the field. That looked bad and they know it which is why on next gen it became an option and then faded into oblivion.

The GIGGAS 05-02-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBzrule (Post 3096118)
It would have been better if it was the QB's head turning instead of a flashlight on the field. That looked bad and they know it which is why on next gen it became an option and then faded into oblivion.

How are you gonna see where your QB's head is at when you're playing so far above the action? The cone is how you would be able to see where your QB is looking... plus you wouldn't know how much he saw on the field.

TeeDogg 05-02-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwharton (Post 3096115)
I actually think the vision cone is one of the few things added to madden in a real attempt to get closer to realism. It's a pain in the butt but that's b/c that's how it should be.

I agree, the only part i differ with is it shouldnt be that big of a pain. I just turn my head and look exactly where i want and throw, its second nature (office Flag football) lol

but i do agree its one feature EA should get props for trying to implement.

thejackal25 05-02-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwharton (Post 3096115)
I actually think the vision cone is one of the few things added to madden in a real attempt to get closer to realism. It's a pain in the butt but that's b/c that's how it should be. I'd go even further and say it works pretty much exactly how first person football worked too.

That doesn't answer your question but it does kinda say that there aren't a lot of other ideas out there. I think Fever had an interesting approach. Does anyone remember Fever's passing system?

Maybe they should just allow you to pass to a guy you're not looking at but since no QB would ever really do that, when you hit the button, the QB has to go thru the process of turning to look and then throwing the ball (so you'd just have to hit the right button but the timing would be off a second or two if you didn't make him turn to the guy yourself)... this would be different than making a horrible pass if you don't look first.

Best I can do.

NFL Fever's trigger passing was actually a very good gameplay mechanic. It was a lot like Madden's vision cone but a bit easier to get used to and quicker for making reads imo.

TeeDogg 05-02-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The GIGGAS (Post 3096122)
How are you gonna see where your QB's head is at when you're playing so far above the action? The cone is how you would be able to see where your QB is looking... plus you wouldn't know how much he saw on the field.

agreed, for head to head play the defender would have to see that portion of the field light up or something, and it has to be a big enough advantage to the QB to make the D want to bite.

spankdatazz22 05-02-2007 04:54 PM

I give them props for trying to implement something new, but I hate the thing myself. I didn't have good enough stick control for doing manual movement of the cone, and it completely threw my timing off when using the double-tap method. As far as what VC could implement, I'm not looking for anything revolutionary. Perhaps some mechanic could be in place to allow you the option of leading your receiver (up on the analog), shading him further left/right, or purposely underthrowing (back on the analog). Could perhaps be used in conjunction w/the bumpers to allow someone to purposely throw high or low