Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Share how your NFL team's offense/defense work (/forums/showthread.php?t=209489)

skyblutarheel 06-22-2007 04:37 AM

Share how your NFL team's offense/defense work

I'm trying to figure out just how NFL teams run their offenses and defenses. Lets have a representative from each of the 32 teams. Have this covered in your posting:

Offense:
Is it WCO, zone block, Air Coryell, or what?
lots of motion?
lots of audibles?
does your team run the no huddle?
do your lineman pull/never? is it the center or guard?
Throw to sidelines, posts, drags, cross rollouts, shotgun?
what are your team's standard formations: split, 3 WR sets, 2 TE, bunch, 4 wr, i formation, (for teams that use shotgun describe the setup such as if empty backfielfd, how many reciever and backs)
is there a position that is little used (ex: FB or TE)?

Defense
4-3, cover 2, 46 defense, or 3-4?
Blitz alot?
play Zone or man coverage?
lots of audibles?
deploy defensive line stunts?
on passing downs, what is your D formation? nickel, dime, and for 3-4 teams does your team a)have 4 lineman or still use 3 lineman? b)does one of your linebackers do the whole switch from lineman/linebacker before the snap?

also for "coaching tree branches" I'm sure there are variations.
EX: every coach has their own form/specialty variations in their playbook. Tell us how Jon Gruden's WCO is different from everyone else (Holmgren, Reid)

*** Please try to do your team like d-max did for the eagles. his was excellent

baa7 06-22-2007 05:08 AM

Re: Share how your NFL team's offense/defense work

I used the Browns (I believe) playbook because it had the room left to allow me to add a 3-4, 3-2, 3-3 and 5-2 defense to the playbook. In other words I use all of them.

As for offense: I grew in the ground game era, so I tend to run, run, run and pass only if I have to. So I loaded my playbook up with every HB and FB dive, draw, sweep etc. that I could find.

skyblutarheel 06-22-2007 05:55 AM

I mean REAL LIFE. how do NFL teams execute these things is what I'm asking.

daflyboys 06-22-2007 11:24 AM

C'mon baa....pay attention! lol

The Chiefs are very Larry Johnson oriented (as they were Priest Holmes). Gonzalez also sees a lot of touches so if you change playbooks, make sure the TE is an integral part of the offense or you'll have to insert him manually into certain passing formations. Also, a lot of shifting and moving before the ball is snapped. Therefore, I sometimes reverse the formation as they approach the line of scrimmage and then after they settle put one or two men in motion before the snap.

Basically on defense, the standard 4-3 and Nickel packages (they don't play a 3-4, at least not up until this year) .....pretty much anything where they'll give up 35 ppg! :)

d_max 06-22-2007 04:03 PM

Philadelphia Eagles

Offense:
Is it WCO, zone block, Air Coryell, or what? Andy Reid runs a west-coast style offense. Reid is known for it's 60/40 pass/run ratio but we are more likely to see a 55/45 ratio this season with McNabb returning from a major knee injury and Brian Westbrook and Correll Buckhalter proving themselves has solid, workhouse backs.
Generally, short drops and screens make up for a majority of the running game in Reid's west coast style offense. 2 to 3 receiver sets are used quite frequently. You will also see 1 TE more often than 2 TE's, and a fairly even split between 1 back and 2 back formations.
HB's and TE's are fairly big in the passing game. As of the second half of the 2006 season, the running game as become a cornerstone in the gameplan.
lots of motion? Mostly TE LJ Smith, but on occasion HB Brian Westbrook is know to split out as a wideout.
lots of audibles? Only when necessary.
does your team run the no huddle? On occasion. McNabb is very good at running the no-huddle, but often you will see mental mistakes that lead to lost time on the clock or even a wasted timeout.

does your center or guard pull alot/never? Frequently. Screens, HB Tosses, misdirections, etc...
Throw to sidelines, posts, rollouts, shotgun?
It's rare to see McNabb in the shotgun. The Eagles like to call plenty of rollouts and playactions. Plenty of post routes.
what are your team's standard formations: split, 3 WR sets, 2 TE, bunch, 4 wr, i formation?
The FB is mostly there for blocking. You won't often see him run the ball or even catch one on the flats. Though it does happen, he's likely just there for blocking more than anything else.

Defense
4-3, cover 2, 46 defense, or 3-4? 4-3, Cover 2. Usually 2 to 3 linebackers in the box. Safeties will usually play a medium to deep zone unless they are blitzing.
Blitz alot? Yes. From every angle.
play Zone or man coverage? Both. But man coverage mostly on the wideouts.
lots of audibles? Not often.
deploy defensive line stunts? Frequently.

skyblutarheel 06-23-2007 02:13 PM

Pittsburgh Steelers

Offense:
Is it WCO, zone block, Air Coryell, or what? OC Bruce Arians likes to spread the ball. He's a 3 to 4 WR kinda guy.
lots of motion? Ward is always in motion
lots of audibles? Ben will do more.
does your team run the no huddle? Big plans for Ben to be doing that as everyone says hes comfortable with it

does your center or guard pull alot/never? no
Throw to sidelines, posts, rollouts, shotgun?
I think we run alot of drag routes.
what are your team's standard formations: we used 2 TEs and alot of I formations.
The FB will probably be used less now that Bruce Arians wants to use 3 TEs.

Defense
4-3, cover 2, 46 defense, or 3-4? 3-4. I suspect an incorporation of cover 2 principles
Blitz alot? Blitzburgh!
play Zone or man coverage? mostly zone.
lots of audibles? We do it for confusion
deploy defensive line stunts? no. we just like to out # a side of the ball

Flyboy 07-01-2007 03:06 AM

I'm just curious... are you going to use this information and implement it in 2K_ somehow?