Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Football Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   CFL 1 pt? (/forums/showthread.php?t=215241)

highheatkingsb 08-05-2007 03:19 PM

CFL 1 pt?

I know the rules on the one point, which I can't believe you can miss a fg in ot and still win, but anyways, I was watching the Calgary/Edmonton game and my question is, on the missed field goal from about 35 yds, the Edmonton player fielded it in the back of the endzone and took a knee. Could someone please explain why they don't try to run it out and elect to give Calgary a point?

SPTO 08-05-2007 03:27 PM

Re: CFL 1 pt?

I didn't watch the game but usually if they're running around in the endzone and then proceed to concede the point it's usually done for

A) to milk time off the clock

or

B) they were trying to get out of the endzone but there were too many defenders around

highheatkingsb 08-05-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPTO (Post 2037634076)
I didn't watch the game but usually if they're running around in the endzone and then proceed to concede the point it's usually done for

A) to milk time off the clock

or

B) they were trying to get out of the endzone but there were too many defenders around

But why not try and get out anyway, even if you get tackled? I guess if you fumble then they would be credited a TD, right? I don't know. It was just like weird, there wasn't anyone around him.

VanCitySportsGuy 08-05-2007 10:19 PM

SPTO left out the biggest reason. Teams will often give up the point to get better field possession. When you give up the 1pt, you get the take the ball at where the other team tried the FG. I forgot if it's the yard where they kick the ball or where the ball is snapped.

For example if the other team is kicking a long FG, it's usually better to give up the 1pt and take the ball at your own let's say 39 yard line than not giving up 1pt and starting your drive at the 5 yard line (assuming your returner can't get a decent return).

sask3m 08-06-2007 07:57 PM

yup points for failure in the cfl, your never out of a game here, its almost as bad as basketball where the team with the ball last wins,lol.

highheatkingsb 08-06-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianflow (Post 2037634788)
SPTO left out the biggest reason. Teams will often give up the point to get better field possession. When you give up the 1pt, you get the take the ball at where the other team tried the FG. I forgot if it's the yard where they kick the ball or where the ball is snapped.

For example if the other team is kicking a long FG, it's usually better to give up the 1pt and take the ball at your own let's say 39 yard line than not giving up 1pt and starting your drive at the 5 yard line (assuming your returner can't get a decent return).

That makes sense then. I can understand that. I don't like the fact you can win in OT with a kick through the endzone whether it makes or misses though. But this is a fun league to watch and is easy to really get into. It's becoming addicting to watch. I haven't watched since the Flutie days, but with it being on DirecTV every week, I'm really enjoying it.

rudyjuly2 08-07-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highheatkingsb (Post 2037636902)
That makes sense then. I can understand that. I don't like the fact you can win in OT with a kick through the endzone whether it makes or misses though. But this is a fun league to watch and is easy to really get into. It's becoming addicting to watch. I haven't watched since the Flutie days, but with it being on DirecTV every week, I'm really enjoying it.

They don't have to run it out of the endzone on those things though. At the end of regulation if a team misses a field goal with no time left, the team that catches it will often kick the ball back out of the end zone like a punt. They don't care if the other team gets the ball back (with no time left) but they don't want to give up that point to lose. Its like a game of hot potato sometimes.

mercalnd 08-07-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highheatkingsb (Post 2037636902)
I don't like the fact you can win in OT with a kick through the endzone whether it makes or misses though.

Don't forget that the OT system is similar to the NCAA system though. So the only way you can win on a missed FG in OT is if the other team doesn't score at all with their possession.