Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   APF 2K Rosters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   The All-Underused Team (/forums/showthread.php?t=218470)

RogueHominid 08-26-2007 03:56 PM

The All-Underused Team

Okay, so now that we've all played our share of games online and seen Lem Barney, Ronnie Lott, Dexter Manley, Randall Cunningham, Earl Campbell, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders on every team, I'm wondering which legends people have always wanted to put on a team but just haven't--guys that are interesting skill-wise but undervalued because they don't have the icon-count of some others?

My list, in no particular order, would include:

FB Joe Perry
K Jan Stenerud
WR Pete Phios
CB Roger Wherli
LB Brian Bosworth
LB Lamar Lathon
FB Icky Woods
DT Greg Kragen
FS Deron Cherry
HB Charlie Trippi

And of course, the no-attribute guys like Bubby Brister, Troy Drayton, and Reggie Cobb. I'd actually like to make a team with all three of these guys, just to see what happens.

I've also thought of making an all-special teams team with Cherry, Tasker, Munchak, Guy, and Jaeger or something. The pain-in-the-a** subsitution screen keeps me from doing that, though.

jdros13 08-26-2007 04:43 PM

Re: The All-Underused Team

Good luck with Bubby....I found a generic pocket passer to be far superior.

T. Drayton I've used, and he isn't half bad. Definitely can be useful in the passing game.

There are tons of silver guys that never get used and are really good at RB and WR. I hadn't used Lenny Moore till the other day, and he is really solid.

RogueHominid 08-26-2007 04:51 PM

Well, they must have gotten Bubby right, then ;)

I feel the same way about the silvers. The only ones I see consistently are Barney, Cunningham, Lloyd, Browner, and a short list of receivers/tight ends.

Lorax 08-27-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan Man (Post 2037686949)
Well, they must have gotten Bubby right, then ;)

I feel the same way about the silvers. The only ones I see consistently are Barney, Cunningham, Lloyd, Browner, and a short list of receivers/tight ends.

I wanted to use a different RB and went to the silver tier to replace one of my favorites - Ottis Anderson. I tried Chris Warren and he really didnt work for me that well but certainly seems to have some fans. So then I tried Billy Sims and I like him ALOT. He isnt invincible or anything but solid. Good at breaking some tackles on inside runs and excellent at outside runs and especially as a receiver. I went up against the CPU Wolves (2 legend Silver ILBs and Gold DT and couldnt run up the gut and they have legend DBs - Night Train & Barney)....Not great for running up the gut or using the WRs on passes - they blitz constantly.....So, I used Billy Sims on HB passing plays and Eric Green - they allowed me to beat them. Sims is great because it seemed like he caught the ball and got upfield in one motion.

RogueHominid 08-27-2007 01:01 PM

I agree with you about Simms. Someone online used him against me the other night and tore me a new one. He's very fluid and really seems to have an extra gear. With a couple of blocks, he was gone. I was pretty surprised because I never saw him play IRL, and not many people use him online.

I couldn't get rolloing with OJ, but I tried him when I first got the game, so it may be different now.

sleepychicken 08-27-2007 01:16 PM

Best all around defender in the game for me is Chuck Bednarik. Never see him except on my teams, and on the teams of my friends that I play regularly. They've become converts. He can literally do anything and I think people pass over him b/c he lacks any of the sexy attributes.

RogueHominid 08-27-2007 01:22 PM

So true. I put him on a team for a while, and was amazed. He does lack the "sexy attributes" of Lloyd, but he plays VERY fast and is really reliable. I just think there are so many guys like that, hence the desire to start the thread. Bednarik will play sideline to sideline and he doesn't get tired as easily as some other guys.

chestnutz6 08-27-2007 01:34 PM

Lenny Moore is definately one. He can catch the ball and is very fast. You can also put him in at RB (since he did play that with the Colts) and if you have a couple legend OL he can be deadly.