Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Football Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Hey CFL Fans: What's the "Crossover"? (/forums/showthread.php?t=231620)

TJdaSportsGuy 12-13-2007 12:19 PM

Hey CFL Fans: What's the "Crossover"?

A buddy and I were just talking about the CFL, the differences between it and the NFL, and I went to the official website. On the standings page, they have something listed called the "Crossover". What is that?

Also...please explain to me the rougue. It's my understanding that if a punt goes out of the back of the end zone, the team that kicked it gets 1 point, otherwise known as a rougue. Are there no touchbacks in the CFL?

Nivek 12-13-2007 12:29 PM

Re: Hey CFL Fans: What's the "Crossover"?

If the fourth place team in Division X has more points than the third place team in Division Y, the fourth place team in Division X will make the playoffs and the third place team in Division Y will not.

TJdaSportsGuy 12-13-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 2037982742)
If the fourth place team in Division X has more points than the third place team in Division Y, the fourth place team in Division X will make the playoffs and the third place team in Division Y will not.

Yeah, I read that, but didn't understand it. So...6 teams make the playoffs, right? 3 from each division?

Why would there be a separate standings page for this crossover?

DrJones 12-13-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy (Post 2037982707)
Also...please explain to me the rougue. It's my understanding that if a punt goes out of the back of the end zone, the team that kicked it gets 1 point, otherwise known as a rougue. Are there no touchbacks in the CFL?

A rouge (nobody calls it that, it's usually referred to as a "single") results when a ball is kicked through the endzone on a punt, kickoff, or missed field goal (!). If the ball is kicked into the endzone but not through it, the returning team can catch the ball and either run it out, or kneel and give up the single. A team that gives up a single gets the ball on its 35-yard-line.

TJdaSportsGuy 12-13-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJones (Post 2037982893)
A rouge (nobody calls it that, it's usually referred to as a "single") results when a ball is kicked through the endzone on a punt, kickoff, or missed field goal (!). If the ball is kicked into the endzone but not through it, the returning team can catch the ball and either run it out, or kneel and give up the single. A team that gives up a single gets the ball on its 35-yard-line.

So you're telling me that under CFL rules, the Bills and Giants would've went into OT in Super Bowl 25? DAMN why couldn't we conform to our neighbors of the great white north?!?! Why?!?!

SPTO 12-13-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJones (Post 2037982893)
If the ball is kicked into the endzone but not through it, the returning team can catch the ball and either run it out, or kneel and give up the single. A team that gives up a single gets the ball on its 35-yard-line.

This is one of the most exciting plays in all of football IMO. We've seen a variation on it in the NFL the last few years actually.

mercalnd 12-13-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy (Post 2037982783)
Yeah, I read that, but didn't understand it. So...6 teams make the playoffs, right? 3 from each division?

Why would there be a separate standings page for this crossover?

The crossover standings page shows third place team from each division in direct comparison with the 4th place team from both divisons. It's not clear to you because this year no team crossed over.

Say for example that Montreal finishes 3rd in the East and Calgary finishes third in the West but Edmonton has a better record than Montreal then the crossover page would go like this:

East:
x-Edmonton (W)
Montreal (E)
Hamilton (E)

West:
x-Calgary (W)
Edmonton (W)
Hamilton (E)

In this scenario only 2 teams from the East would make the playoffs while all 4 teams from the West would be in. Edmonton would play in the East Semi-Final against the 2nd place team from the East.

Hope this helps.

allBthere 01-11-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPTO (Post 2037982934)
This is one of the most exciting plays in all of football IMO. We've seen a variation on it in the NFL the last few years actually.

I'm canadian, but I do think it's dumb to give points for shanking a FG. Our overtime sucks imo too. = taking turns from the openents 30 trying to score, so if you get a fg, they get the ball on your 30 and must at least do that too, etc.. and usually first td or missed fg wins/loses.